Metal Storm logo
Best Nu Metal Vocalist

18.07.2014 - 17:27
Ganondox
Nu metal isn't exactly known for it's vocal talent, but a few nu metal singers actually are very talented, and even more are known for their unique voices and emotional delivery. I'm not a fan of nu metal by any means, but some of these guys are actually pretty good. I made a list of my top nu metal vocalists, and decided Corey Taylor is the best, but I want to hear other people's opinions because I know not everyone agrees with that.
18.07.2014 - 17:49
Ilham
Giant robot
I don't really have an opinion on who's the best, but I am suprised Tankian didn't make the list. Taylor sometimes messes up in his clean singing, in my opinion. I wouldn't have put him at the top.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if you put the band names for some of those. I don't think everyone knows all the line-ups by heart.
18.07.2014 - 18:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ilham on 18.07.2014 at 17:49

I don't think everyone knows all the line-ups by heart.

That would be me.
I think I know the name of the lead singer of about four or five bands.
And don't even get me started on drummers or guitarists =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.07.2014 - 18:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh, when I say four or five vocalists, I don't mean five of the Ganondox list.
I more like mean four or five bands among all. Everything I have ever heard.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.07.2014 - 19:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix

I don't really have an opinion on who's the best, but I am suprised Tankian didn't make the list.

+1 on that. If anyone, he should be in the top three at least.

I'm have quite a big admiration for Jonathan Davis, so I can't really agree that he's not "exceptionally talented". His vocal style varies from ultra violent to emotionally atmospheric and his approach to singing is most definitely unique and not to mention, instantly recognizable.

Glad to see Sandra Nasić made it to the list though, she sometimes gets easily forgotten, but I love hearing her for the same reason as ^^ - her versatility is her trademark and she nails it every single time.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.07.2014 - 19:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm guessing Tankian isn't here as the OP doesn't consider SOAD a nu metal band (which they aren't). He trounces most vocalists ever though.
18.07.2014 - 19:39
InnerSelf
proofread free
Aside from Tankian, who is boss, Chino from Deftones is my favorite. He has nice range and goes from soft and emotional to complete insanity in the blink of an eye.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.07.2014 - 19:52
Ganondox
Written by Guest on 18.07.2014 at 19:30

I'm guessing Tankian isn't here as the OP doesn't consider SOAD a nu metal band (which they aren't). He trounces most vocalists ever though.

This. I did include some singers whose bands I don't consider nu metal either, like Dir En Grey, but I think Dir En Grey has released enough songs that can be considered nu metal for Kyo to be counted as a nu metal vocalist, more than Serj, though he has sung a few nu metal songs as well. I also included Deftones and Disturbed merely because of their first albums, over the course of their careers Dir En Grey has probably released more nu metal than them. Anyway, while I love Serj and if I consider SOAD nu metal he would definitely get on the list, I stilled wouldn't put him at number 1 as I personally prefer David Draiman and as the list said Corey is above Draiman because his singing on the actual nu metal songs is better (from what I've heard, not a huge Slipknot fan, so maybe he does screw his cleans up enough to knock him down a few notches), so I'd either put Serj at 2 or 3.

Written by AnGina-- on 18.07.2014 at 19:28

I'm have quite a big admiration for Jonathan Davis, so I can't really agree that he's not "exceptionally talented". His vocal style varies from ultra violent to emotionally atmospheric and his approach to singing is most definitely unique and not to mention, instantly recognizable.

Agree with what you're saying, if he wasn't he wouldn't be that high. I just make the distinction between unique and versatile and considered technically talented in the traditional sense, that's what I was referring to.
18.07.2014 - 20:07
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 18.07.2014 at 19:30

As OP said, some of the bands aren't either, but, he still has his place amongst them in that list. I think the list could have been expanded to other alternative metal bands as well. But that's my silly little opinion.

Moreno would have won my vote, now that I thought about it a little.
18.07.2014 - 20:49
Lit.
Account deleted
I'd definitely have to give Corey Taylor some credit, Slipknot work aside. Slipknot unfortunately suffer in the "Talented musicians in a band that doesn't put much effort into their music" category (not's to say they aren't real good at points; their debut is a stone-cold classic and they have a bunch of other good stuff in their discography). He's done some good vocal work before. I hear he's real good in Stone Sour, but I've never actually listened to them, so I can't say.
18.07.2014 - 20:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.07.2014 at 20:49

I'd definitely have to give Corey Taylor some credit, Slipknot work aside. Slipknot unfortunately suffer in the "Talented musicians in a band that doesn't put much effort into their music" category (not's to say they aren't real good at points; their debut is a stone-cold classic and they have a bunch of other good stuff in their discography). He's done some good vocal work before. I hear he's real good in Stone Sour, but I've never actually listened to them, so I can't say.

He's great in the first album, and probably the second. I rather love the first album to be honest.
18.07.2014 - 21:55
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by InnerSelf on 18.07.2014 at 19:39

Aside from Tankian, who is boss, Chino from Deftones is my favorite.

Agreed, totally forgot to mention him in my previous post. Chino delivers one of the best vocals in the nu metal compartment. I mean, just the sole My Own Summer is a perfect example of the lenghts he can go to.

Written by Ganondox on 18.07.2014 at 19:52

Agree with what you're saying, if he wasn't he wouldn't be that high. I just make the distinction between unique and versatile and considered technically talented in the traditional sense, that's what I was referring to.

OK, I understand where you're coming from. But then again, when it comes to singing, talent takes lesser percentage than hard work. So I guess I am one of those who gives more weigh on how a vocalist is growing, than sole talent.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.07.2014 - 22:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't really have a favorite in this particular area but I would say Corey Taylor and Jonathan Davis are some of the worst I've heard. I never understood the credit Taylor seems to get for his clean vocals. To me they sound lazy and safe, similar in a sense to that post-grunge style a la Default, Theory of a Deadman, Nickelback, etc.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.07.2014 - 22:15
Stoned Crow
Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust)
Chad Gray (Mudvayne)
Chino Moreno (Deftones)
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
20.07.2014 - 11:12
Ganondox
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.07.2014 at 22:07

I never understood the credit Taylor seems to get for his clean vocals. To me they sound lazy and safe, similar in a sense to that post-grunge style a la Default, Theory of a Deadman, Nickelback, etc.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, I didn't find him special at first for the same reason, but after listening to him for a bit his voice is recognizable, and he's a lot more versatile than any of those post-grunge vocalists. His vocal range is a lot wider, and he also has a lot more range in style as well, with gut wrenching screams, harsh shouting, rapping, and more. If I was rating him only on his clean vocals I wouldn't have put him anywhere near that high.
23.07.2014 - 05:16
Reverend X
Ivan Moody my number for that category.
23.07.2014 - 13:54
foschino
Account deleted
I think you're completely wrong about Jonathan Davis. HE IS exceptionally talented, even if people don't like Korn, their first two albums just prove how talented he is
24.03.2016 - 01:14
MetalDad10
There's no doubt in my mind that Stephen Richards from Taproot should be on any lists compiled on this subject. End of story
01.05.2016 - 05:11
Kennoth
There are, of course, loads of great vocalists in "nu" metal, just like in any other subgenre of music. Corey Taylor is great, but I wouldn't call him the best. In my subjective opinion, I'd say it's hard to beat the vocal capabilities of David Draiman, even though Disturbed haven't ever really been a "nu" metal band (other than the first album).

I think Jonathan Davis gets undeserved hate. His voice isn't pretty, but it gets the job done, and it fits the aesthetic of the music. Serj Tankian is definitely up there too. I'm sure I forgot about a whole bunch of talented people, but it's been a long time since I actively listened to that kind of music (other than a couple of artists).
----
*insert something deep and profound*
14.05.2016 - 22:55
Ganondox

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if you put the band names for some of those. I don't think everyone knows all the line-ups by heart.

Done. I don't know the lineups by heart either, I was just focusing on the vocalist rather than the band.
30.05.2016 - 11:31
Overrwatcher
Serj is fantastic as others mentioned. Corey Taylor allegedly has a 5 1/2 octave range and overall is actually a very good vocalist. Even though I don't consider anything after their debut to be nu-metal, David Draiman from Disturbed has a very good trained voice when he actually uses it. I wouldn't say Jonathan Davis is a good vocalist (although his early stuff was pretty insane) more than that his voice suits the music incredibly well.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
05.06.2016 - 23:49
WayTooManyCDs
Chino Moreno is who I really want to choose because I love his higher range but...I'm going with Jonathon Davis. For me, music is about leaving an impact or an impression in your head, and Davis may not be the kind of guy who could have the lead role in a choir but he has used his voice to create some of the most memorable moments in music history imo. I think what I like the most about Davis is that his best songs feel like he isn't trying to sing, he is just belting out whatever feels right. I find his voice to be "real", something that I can relate to, where I can't relate to a guy like Moreno because he's too crisp, too clean. There are a lot of people who are technically better but none who throw themselves into their performances like Davis does and that is what sets him above them imo.