Metal Storm logo
Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal review

Reviewer:
N/A

Rick Ernst (of MTV's Headbanger's Ball) started off on this self-financed documentary, on the rise and coming of age of thrash metal, in 2003, later to be joined by Rat Skates (ex-Overkill). 2006 saw the premiere of Get Thrashed at the Raindance film festival in London, and 2007 will, hopefully, see the release of it on dvd.
Many thrash fans, after their appetites had been wetted by the trailers on www.getthrashed.com, have been waiting for this for quite some time now. And, has it been worth the wait? For me personally it has been worth it.
What we get is a 99 minute in-depth documentary on the rise of thrash, accompanied by a great soundtrack, which starts of with Bonded By Blood and ends with Back In The Day, featuring well-known and lesser-known artists.
Get Thrashed is set up in clear chapters on the birth of the genre, the Big Four (each one getting their own chapter), Exodus, the three big US scenes (all also getting a chapter of their own), thrash metal fans, the dress code, headbanging, stagediving, moshing, crossover, Suicidal Tendencies, life on the road, the German scene and worlwide scene, Clash Of The Titans tour as an end of an era, Pantera as the true metal (thrash) survivor in the nineties, a chapter on Nu-metal versus new metal, and wrapping it all up in a chapter called The Legacy Remains.
What Ernst does, is he interviews prime players of the early thrash scenes and also modern bands who were in some way heavily influenced by thrash or a fan of the movement in its heyday. The list reads as a who's who of thrash, featuring such people as Ron Quintana (Metal Mania magazine, and the guy who unwittingly gave Metallica their band name), John & Marsha Zazula (Megaforce), Brian Slagel (Metal Blade), Ian Christe (author of Sound Of The Beast), The Old Bridge Militia, and artists such as Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett, the guys from Exodus, Anthrax, Overkill, Death Angel, D.R.I., Megadeth, Katon W. De Pena (Hirax), Kerry King and Tom Araya, Eric Peterson and Chuck Billy, John Connelly and Danny Lilker (Nuclear Assault) and many more.
So, do those of us that grew up with thrash in the early to late eighties learn anything new from the interviews? I don't really think so, but what we do get is a great trip down memory lane. The passion with which the artists talk about those days works infectious and makes you wanna pick up all those old thrash classics and delve deep into it and get totally immersed with old magazine clippings and demos. Hell, even Lars Ulrich gets all excited (but then again when doesn't the guy get excited when being interviewed?). Lars really nails the feeling of the time when he says: "It wasn't about selling units and all that horseshit, it was about the passion" which is along the lines of Frank Bello's (Anthrax) remark: "It was all about the music, there was no money, so it had to be about the music." and also when talking about tape trading where you'd go bananas over a bad sounding 14th generation copy of a demo of a new band. Many people hearing Lars say that will probably call the guy a hypocrite because of Metallica's money-grabbing antics (remember the court case against peer-to-peer file sharing? And that from a band which used to allow fans into a special area at concerts where they could tape the show). But Lars is right, that's how it was back then, even for the currently big artists. Bobby 'Blitz' Elsworth (Overkill) certainly takes the prize for the most down to earth, self reflective, sincere, vibrant artist interviewed here. The passion for thrash just oozes from his every pore and every word he says. Another artist who really stands out with his sincere passion for thrash is, believe it or not, Slipknot's and Stone Sour's Corey Taylor.
Many people will wonder if the birth of the term thrash metal is explained. Yes it is, and after having heard the explanation there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to refer to it as trash ever again. As explained in the Thrash Metal Is Born part, the term came into being because the crowd tended to thrash everything in their path. Blitz's anecdote on when he first heard the term certainly rings true to my ears. When Blitz first heard the term he thought people were referring to trash and that it was an insult.
What is probably interesting to most younger fans of thrash is that the three original scenes were centred around record stores that imported a lot of records. And also that the bands helped each other out a lot back then and that some fans hosted concerts in their backyards and let touring bands party and stay over at their house. The do- it-yourself ethic was really big back then. Labels like Metal Blade and Megaforce were started by fans of the genre in order to release their favourite bands. Another fact which might be interesting is that the thrash scene back then was even more male dominated than it is now. Or like Blitz said: "The ongoing joke was: What has two thousand legs and two breasts? An Overkill show in Germany."
The influence of thrash metal on the metal scene in the larger context is also not forgotten. Like said by Steve 'Zetro' Souza, thrash evolved into death metal and black metal. Of course, metalcore is also heavily influenced by it.
As someone says in Get Thrashed: Modern day thrash, as played by Lamb Of God, God Forbid, and Shadows Fall, is not the same thrash we used to listen back then but it's something that is more relevant that kids are listening to today.
What Brian Fair of Shadows Fall has to say about the legacy of thrash metal rings totally true for me: "The legacy of bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer they're undeniable and they'll live on forever. I mean, whether it's in the punk rock scenes, hardcore scenes, metal scenes, that stuff's there forever. It's kinda like, I don't honestly need to even go look and listen to a lot of those records 'cause it's imprinted in my DNA at this point."
Yes, as has been stated throughout the entire 99 minutes, it was an insane time back then and for people like me, we were lucky to be there at the time, and to see so many bands when they first started and see them grow over the years.

How does Get Thrashed compare to last year's big metal documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey? Well, Get Thrashed limits itself to just one subgenre of metal thus delving deeper into the aspects of it. Get Thrashed isn't as slick as Headbanger's Journey due to the fact that Get Thrashed is a self-financed project. Which in my opinion is its strong point as well for that accentuates the rawness and do-it-yourself ethics of the early thrash days. And Rick Ernst limits himself to what he knows and loves best, unlike Sam Dunn (although I mightily enjoyed Headbanger's Journey) who goes over to Martin Popoff (metal journalist) for his subgenre charts and then goes terribly wrong classifying quite a few bands.
But the two documentaries can't really be compared due to the generality of Headbanger's Journey and the genre specificity of Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal. Having seen one of them is no reason not to see the other. I would even recommend seeing both of them.

So, is this documentary worth the wait? And will it be worth buying when it is released on dvd? A resounding? Hell, yeah! Hopefully it will be like what Ernst told Terrorizer in an interview he did with them which was published in Issue 123, September 2004 that the dvd version will include over an hour's worth of additional material and will include features on many more bands that could not be included due to time constraints of a television program.
The constraints are probably also the reason why things I really did miss were left out. Nope, I am not talking about the Arizona thrash scene (Flotsam & Jetsam, Sacred Reich, Atrophy) because that is already the second, and not very influential, generation of thrash. And also not more on thrash from outside the US and Germany. Why would there be more focus on that? The only really big and influential mover within the thrash scene from outside those two countries was Sepultura. What I really missed were two things? firstly, something on producers/engineers of thrash albums. People like Michael Wagener, Bill Metoyer, Mark Whitaker, Harris Johns, Alex Perialas, Mark Dodson, Michael Rosen, Carl Canedy, Eddie Kramer, Flemming Rasmussen, and so on.
And secondly, interviews with well-known artists of thrash album covers like Ed Repka, Don Brautigem, and Pushead.
I watched Get Thrashed with quite a few metallers (people who were into thrash back in the day and younger metalheads who only got into thrash in the late nineties) at my house so as to see what their reactions would be to it. Well, both groups really enjoyed it, the older guys and girls already knew most, to all, of the subject matter presented here but thought it was a brilliant trip down memory lane. For the younger generation it was really interesting for there was quite a bit they didn't really realise and now they could hear it all from the mouths of the players of those days. A striking difference between the two groups of watchers was the way the younger generation reacted to Lamb Of God, Corey Taylor (Slipknot and Stone Sour), Chris Jericho (Fozzy), Chimaira, Shadows Fall, Kittie, Killswitch Engage, Jamey Jasta (Hatebreed). They got upset by the fact these artists were interviewed because according to them they aren't thrash, having nothing to do with thrash, and are only making metal for the sake of earning a quick buck and are posers when it comes to thrash. Well, on posers? what was considered a poser back in the day is clearly explained in Get Thrashed. The people who grew up with thrash thought it was a good thing that the interviews with those artists are featured for it gave an insight on how thrash has influenced, affected and is seen by those people.

So, all in all, a must see for anyone with the slightest inkling of interest in the history of metal in general and thrash metal in particular. A great job well done by Rick Ernst. This is a documentary he can certainly be proud of.

Rating: Must See

Written by Marcel Hubregtse | 30.01.2007

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 92 users
30.01.2007 - 10:50
FOOCK Nam

"The legacy of bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer they're undeniable and they'll live on forever. I mean, whether it's in the punk rock scenes, hardcore scenes, metal scenes, that stuff's there forever. It's kinda like, I don't honestly need to even go look and listen to a lot of those records 'cause it's imprinted in my DNA at this point."

Thats true
30.01.2007 - 11:49
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Excellent review/article Marcel

Now, I just hope that it will be possible to find it in France...
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
30.01.2007 - 11:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jeff on 30.01.2007 at 11:49

I hope it gets released as dvd soon enough. Or else be shown on more film festivals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.01.2007 - 14:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I wanna see oit I wanna see 80ties and old school bands and alcohol too

I hope it will be shoowed in TV (not PPV )
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.01.2007 - 15:50
Basso
Account deleted
I have to see this one.. The review was great.
30.01.2007 - 20:23
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
good job Marcel, well written. now we all are more eager to watch this documentary more than before i for one cant wait
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
31.01.2007 - 04:06
Richard

Wow, that's an indepth review of what seems to be an indepth documentary! I'm sure most of us could learn quite a lot from this...

Regardless of the fair remarks made about the inclusion of Slipknot, Lamb Of God etc., however, I hope the contribution from such bands is fairly minimal. I appreciate that it's interesting to to see how thrash influenced this new wave of bands, but they get more than enough bloody exposure already!
----
31.01.2007 - 09:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Richard on 31.01.2007 at 04:06

Wow, that's an indepth review of what seems to be an indepth documentary! I'm sure most of us could learn quite a lot from this...

Regardless of the fair remarks made about the inclusion of Slipknot, Lamb Of God etc., however, I hope the contribution from such bands is fairly minimal. I appreciate that it's interesting to to see how thrash influenced this new wave of bands, but they get more than enough bloody exposure already!

Their contributions are limited compared to the contributions of the rest.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2007 - 17:26
frankmkonce
Account deleted
Written by Jeff on 30.01.2007 at 11:49

yeah, i emailed rick (the producer) and he said he hopes he will have a dvd distribution deal around summertime. for now, it will just be shown at various film festivals. he said to just keep checking the website to see when and where it will be shown.
03.03.2007 - 20:41
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Great article.
04.03.2007 - 01:03
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
By the way does anyone know what channel it will be showed on ?
10.08.2007 - 04:32
jnedley
Account deleted
Link to story in Cleveland Scene about "Get Thrashed":

http://www.clevescene.com/2007-08-08/music/talkin-thrash/

Enjoy.
11.08.2007 - 09:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.08.2007 at 04:32

Link to story in Cleveland Scene about "Get Thrashed":

http://www.clevescene.com/2007-08-08/music/talkin-thrash/

Enjoy.

Thanks.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2007 - 10:24
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I really want to get this documentary. Is it already in stock on Amazon?
11.08.2007 - 10:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.08.2007 at 10:24

Nope, there hasn't been an officially released yet. Rick Ernst is still looking for a company to release it. But the documentary is being shown at various docu and film festivals across the US, so keep an eye when it is showing nearby your place.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2007 - 11:37
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2007 at 10:54

Nope, there hasn't been an officially released yet. Rick Ernst is still looking for a company to release it. But the documentary is being shown at various docu and film festivals across the US, so keep an eye when it is showing nearby your place.

Alright, will do. Although, I'd rather wait for the DVD to come out, as it usually has bonus features such as commentary and deleted scenes.
11.08.2007 - 11:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.08.2007 at 11:37

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2007 at 10:54

Alright, will do. Although, I'd rather wait for the DVD to come out, as it usually has bonus features such as commentary and deleted scenes.

When the dvd gets a proper release a load of bonus material will be added. According to Rick Ernst over more than two huors of deleted stuff and more.
Btw, a lot of the deleted scenes can also be viewed at http://www.getthrashed.com/media.html
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2007 - 01:49
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
If you think I am reading that long-ass review you are crazy.
10.10.2007 - 03:43
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.10.2007 at 01:49

It just took me 12 minutes to read it thoroughly.

I'm a bit apprehensive about whether this one is worth a purchase, Marcel, but you explained it all rather well this time
12.04.2008 - 17:10
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
great review i must see this .. cant wait until the d.v.d on may 2008
13.08.2008 - 21:51
Demonmayonnaise

I have to see this now. Ill kill someone for a copy if I have too. (Not really, but I might kick their ass). Cant wait for it to come out.
13.08.2008 - 22:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 13.08.2008 at 21:51

I have to see this now. Ill kill someone for a copy if I have too. (Not really, but I might kick their ass). Cant wait for it to come out.

Well good news, I read in a myspace blog from Get Thrashed (go to my myspace site and click on Get Thrashed in my top friends ) that the retail version will FINALLY be released on September 16th of this year and will feature a 90-minute bonus disc.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2008 - 05:04
Demonmayonnaise

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.08.2008 at 22:13

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 13.08.2008 at 21:51

Well good news, I read in a myspace blog from Get Thrashed (go to my myspace site and click on Get Thrashed in my top friends ) that the retail version will FINALLY be released on September 16th of this year and will feature a 90-minute bonus disc.

That is good news. Ill definately buy it.
09.01.2009 - 18:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Got my copy yesterday, watched the actual documentary and started on the bonus materials.

honestly, i was surprised that Suicidal Tendencies got the billing they did - immediately following sections devoted to the big four and exodus. that said, i was a HUGE ST fan in the 80's - the lyrics for a band named "Suicidal Tendencies" are often surprisingly uplifting and empowering. still enjoy those albums now.

the Old Bridge Militia scene looked awesome fun.

Was watching the bonus material and checked out the Arizona scene, and it was funny to have David Ellefson mention The Mason Jar when discussing playing with F&J... i caught Carcass there on the Heartwork tour with Life of Agony. it was a pit, but cheap beer and not a bad place to catch a show.

all in all, it lasted like two hours and seemed to go too quickly, it was really well done and well worth the purchase - and apparently i still have a couple hours to go.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.01.2009 - 18:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 09.01.2009 at 18:27

Got my copy yesterday, watched the actual documentary and started on the bonus materials.

honestly, i was surprised that Suicidal Tendencies got the billing they did - immediately following sections devoted to the big four and exodus. that said, i was a HUGE ST fan in the 80's - the lyrics for a band named "Suicidal Tendencies" are often surprisingly uplifting and empowering. still enjoy those albums now.

the Old Bridge Militia scene looked awesome fun.

Was watching the bonus material and checked out the Arizona scene, and it was funny to have David Ellefson mention The Mason Jar when discussing playing with F&J... i caught Carcass there on the Heartwork tour with Life of Agony. it was a pit, but cheap beer and not a bad place to catch a show.

all in all, it lasted like two hours and seemed to go too quickly, it was really well done and well worth the purchase - and apparently i still have a couple hours to go.

Damn, that reminds me... I still have to review the retail version (with diferent graphics, different end song and bonus material)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.01.2009 - 18:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
The extras are nice. i watched the Bay Area, Arizona, Norway (pointless), Georgia (Hallow's Eve), Florida (Nasty Savage) bonus material.

Bay was obviously the best with time devoted to Vio-Lence, Death Angel, Testament, Heathen, and Possessed.

Norway I checked out on a lark, and it was pretty useless with some guys trying to explain about how thrash influenced what happened there with Black Metal even though they really didn't have a band to discuss.

the guys from Municipal Waste as well as Merciless Death and Rumplestiltskin Grinder and some of the newer acts get a lot more face time in the extras discussing the smaller bands.

definitely made me want to check out some bands i missed. basically, the make the remark in the florida section that they kinda leapfrogged thrash straight to the spawn of death metal... i, for the most part pretty much followed suit.

back in the 80's i was into some of the hardcore punk (exploited, gbh, ST), was turned on to the bigger bands, then almost immediately discovered DM.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.05.2009 - 14:22
Deadsoulman

I finally watched this DVD yesterday after forgetting it for months under a pile of books at home (still have to go through the bonus section). For someone like me who wasn't there during the Golden Age of thrash in the 80's but got into metal through thrash (Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies) in the beginning to mid-90's, it is an insanely interesting documentary because I find myself right in the middle of this:
"the older guys and girls already knew most, to all, of the subject matter presented here but thought it was a brilliant trip down memory lane. For the younger generation it was really interesting for there was quite a bit they didn't really realise and now they could hear it all from the mouths of the players of those days."

I mean that although I knew most of the history of that particular genre (in 1996-1998 the French Hard Rock Magazine ran a series of articles on the history of thrash, with interviews of key players of the US thrash scene) I obviously never totally grasped the importance of certain facts, bands or events. And anyway it made me feel all nostalgic about my younger days when I discovered this seemingly bottomless reservoir of great music.

Also, it's funny that you mention this:
"The passion with which the artists talk about those days works infectious and makes you wanna pick up all those old thrash classics and delve deep into it and get totally immersed with old magazine clippings and demos."

Thirty seconds after the DVD was over Bonded By Blood was playing in my stereo
29.05.2009 - 14:54
Lord_Regnier

Talk of a pointless and rude comment.

You should read the review. It's well written and gives a good idea of what to expect from the documentary.

I would add that the documentary sounds interesting because, for one time, it seems it doesn't look at metal from a mainstream point of view.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
29.05.2009 - 16:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.05.2009 at 14:54

Talk of a pointless and rude comment.

You should read the review. It's well written and gives a good idea of what to expect from the documentary.

Thanks.
Btw, I know it is long, but unfrotunately it had to be cause at the time of this review the Get Thrashed documentary hadn't been released yet and this was the press viewing copy, hence no comments on the extras which surfaced on the retail version.

The retail version has slightly different graphics and editing and alas no use of Megadeth's Back In The Day playing over the closing credits. This was deleted due to copyright reasons and thus financial reasons.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2009 - 16:43
Lord_Regnier

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2009 at 16:07

Thanks.
Btw, I know it is long, but unfrotunately it had to be cause at the time of this review the Get Thrashed documentary hadn't been released yet and this was the press viewing copy, hence no comments on the extras which surfaced on the retail version.

The retail version has slightly different graphics and editing and alas no use of Megadeth's Back In The Day playing over the closing credits. This was deleted due to copyright reasons and thus financial reasons.

I think you can't summarize a documentary in only a few short paragraphs, like you can do for albums. It requires longer explanations and descriptions.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"

Hits total: 12260 | This month: 3