11. Weevil Bride

Found in 9 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 199 users
25.07.2014 - 23:59
Rating: 10
mz

Finally, we have this on MS. Such an underrated album. Really, I don't know why I love this so much. One of the strongest emotional impacts on me has been by this record.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
26.07.2014 - 00:01
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Which genre is this? Never heard of it.
Well, if mz likes it must be cool
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.07.2014 - 00:04
mz

Written by Karlabos on 26.07.2014 at 00:01

some sort of alternative/art/progressive/psychedelic rock I must say. The closest things to this are dredg and tool up to my experience.
----
26.07.2014 - 00:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by mz on 26.07.2014 at 00:04
some sort of alternative/art/progressive/psychedelic rock I must say. The closest things to this are dredg and tool up to my experience.

When looking them up I also stumbled across people mentioning Fair to Midland.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.07.2014 - 00:18
mz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.07.2014 at 00:06

Written by mz on 26.07.2014 at 00:04

When looking them up I also stumbled across people mentioning Fair to Midland.

Fair to midland is more metallic and heavy and not as dynamic. Also, Rishloo'd music is more layered. I don't consider them similar tbh, but then again, Tool isn't either that similar.Speaking of similar bands isn't easy in the case of bands with distinctive sound I guess.
----
26.07.2014 - 07:04
Rating: 7
Diverge

It's a good album, so don't get me wrong. mz presents a good way of defining the band for newcomers, but this is not the starting point. I really regard these guys as alternative metal, and on this album they tread very similar territory that Soundgarden's Down on the Upside record already explored. The problem lies in the fact that this is painfully inconsistent relative to Eidolon and even somewhat inconsistent relative to Terra Fames. The first half of the album is absolutely phenomenal, but past Feathergun it becomes an absolute nightmare. Diamond Eyes is almost a dealbreaker in itself.

I'm king of the controversial opinions here, but if you want a better album than this one with a very similar style, I have to recommend DOTU by Soundgarden. It's not a very well-regarded album these days, but it's definitely one of Soundgarden's strongest efforts and clearly a template for this one. If you want to get into Rishloo proper, spin Eidolon a lot and give Terra Fames a few good listens. Eidolon has a lot of variety and it flows excellently, which makes for a nice listen; Terra Fames suffers slightly from a lack of a variety, but it does become more plentiful given a few listens (like Karnivool).
26.07.2014 - 10:39
mz

Written by Diverge on 26.07.2014 at 07:04

The problem lies in the fact that this is painfully inconsistent relative to Eidolon and even somewhat inconsistent relative to Terra Fames. The first half of the album is absolutely phenomenal, but past Feathergun it becomes an absolute nightmare. Diamond Eyes is almost a dealbreaker in itself.

For me, the second half is as great as the first one. My most favorite song of the album is Katsushika, and diamond eye is very interesting. The mid section of that song is pure genus. The outro is also very entertaining. Such a prefect closer for this album.
----
26.07.2014 - 11:02
Rating: 9
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Karlabos on 26.07.2014 at 00:01

Prog Rock + Post Rock + a bit of Alternative and other elements. Or rather Alternative Rock + elements of Post Rock... but who cares.
27.07.2014 - 21:36
Eternity'sChild

Written by mz on 26.07.2014 at 10:39

For me, the second half is as great as the first one. My most favorite song of the album is Katsushika, and diamond eye is very interesting. The mid section of that song is pure genus. The outro is also very entertaining. Such a prefect closer for this album.

Hehe, Katsushika is also my favorite song of the album, although I like its outro most. Anyway, great album!
02.08.2014 - 02:04
Diverge

Written by mz on 26.07.2014 at 10:39

Did you happen to hear the new Rishloo track, Landmines? It's amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMle586mIfc
02.08.2014 - 13:09
mz

Written by Diverge on 02.08.2014 at 02:04

Did you happen to hear the new Rishloo track, Landmines? It's amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMle586mIfc

Not yet. I'm in the land of poor internet connection now and probably won't be able to check that any time soon.
Thanks a lot. I'm dying of anticipation for their new record. You calling the new track amazing definitely raises the expectation level.
----
03.08.2014 - 00:36
Rating: 5
Ilham
Giant robot
I am disappointed, I was expecting so much more after reading the comments.
03.08.2014 - 08:43
mz

Written by Ilham on 03.08.2014 at 00:36

I am disappointing.

Yeah truly.
----
03.08.2014 - 13:51
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by mz on 03.08.2014 at 08:43
You calling me disappointing
Funny. Obviously this is... an emotional album for you, or it has some kind of significance beyond what I can hear. Because I actually find the vocals to be not that great, especially when he goes high, and there's almost an hour of them to listen to. And the rest is too prog-lite for me. Diverge mentioned Soundgarden, I don't understand why, but in any case, I'll take DOTU - which I love - over this any time.
04.08.2014 - 18:09
Diverge

Written by Ilham on 03.08.2014 at 13:51

Written by mz on 03.08.2014 at 08:43
You calling me disappointing
Diverge mentioned Soundgarden, I don't understand why, but in any case, I'll take DOTU - which I love - over this any time.

Glad to see another DOTU lover here. I think it must be the production and the psychadelic noodling that reminds me so much of Soundgarden when I listen to Feathergun. It's probably the only direct comparision I can really think of, except for maybe the last little bit of Karnivool's Asymmetry album.
04.08.2014 - 18:43
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Diverge on 04.08.2014 at 18:09

Glad to see another DOTU lover here. I think it must be the production and the psychadelic noodling that reminds me so much of Soundgarden when I listen to Feathergun. It's probably the only direct comparision I can really think of, except for maybe the last little bit of Karnivool's Asymmetry album.

Oh okay. I am not into prog at all, so I really don't know what to compare this to, but I can imagine why DOTU could be mentioned now that I played a couple of tracks from both bands back to back. Yeah I am a little bit of a Cornell enthusiast in general, and Soundgarden in particular .
30.08.2014 - 17:08
Diverge

Written by mz on 02.08.2014 at 13:09

Written by Diverge on 02.08.2014 at 02:04

Not yet. I'm in the land of poor internet connection now and probably won't be able to check that any time soon.
Thanks a lot. I'm dying of anticipation for their new record. You calling the new track amazing definitely raises the expectation level.

Did you ever end up checking this out?
30.08.2014 - 20:35
mz

Written by Diverge on 30.08.2014 at 17:08

Did you ever end up checking this out?

Sorry I had forgotten checking that out but finally did it tonight. It's rally good track but I have problem with production: their sound is too heavy on bass this time around and the whole song is not as layered their previous records.Hopefully, they will eliminate this problem on the album.
It seems that they've adopted a less alternative and more progressive approach. I really liked the guitar work, though.
Thanks for making me check this
----
10.03.2015 - 09:11
Kuroboshi

Diamond Eyes is very very good. On the whole, a let down compared to the previous album. Personally, I feel that they fuck around a bit too much, for it to be interesting to listen to attentively.
10.03.2015 - 09:16
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Some of the songs are great but mostly the album is just a big meh.
----
The Fangirl.
18.03.2015 - 22:28
Joe Zombie

I'm on a Rishloo marathon, and I gave their last album a 10. Totally blew my goddamn mind. This one however, while still great, just isn't as exciting or audacious. Some songs seem to meander a bit.
05.01.2021 - 18:46
panths

In my 40's not many thinks in music blow my mind.Rishloo did it.....nice opening 2021 for me.....
12.09.2021 - 23:25
Ganondox

Written by Diverge on 26.07.2014 at 07:04

It's a good album, so don't get me wrong. mz presents a good way of defining the band for newcomers, but this is not the starting point. I really regard these guys as alternative metal, and on this album they tread very similar territory that Soundgarden's Down on the Upside record already explored. The problem lies in the fact that this is painfully inconsistent relative to Eidolon and even somewhat inconsistent relative to Terra Fames. The first half of the album is absolutely phenomenal, but past Feathergun it becomes an absolute nightmare. Diamond Eyes is almost a dealbreaker in itself.

I'm king of the controversial opinions here, but if you want a better album than this one with a very similar style, I have to recommend DOTU by Soundgarden. It's not a very well-regarded album these days, but it's definitely one of Soundgarden's strongest efforts and clearly a template for this one. If you want to get into Rishloo proper, spin Eidolon a lot and give Terra Fames a few good listens. Eidolon has a lot of variety and it flows excellently, which makes for a nice listen; Terra Fames suffers slightly from a lack of a variety, but it does become more plentiful given a few listens (like Karnivool).

Wut. Diamond Eyes is incredible. It also doesn't sound anything like Soundgarden, so that might be your issue.
09.03.2022 - 17:54
Rating: 8
Samot

Awesome album!
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!

Hits total: 7672 | This month: 10