Band: Wrong
Album: Pessimistic Outcomes
Release date: April 2014

01. Thru The Grey Path To Nowhere
02. His Hatred Breathes
03. Pessimistic Outcomes
04. Dragging My Soul Until The Sunset
05. I Thought I'd Woken

Hi. Did you know Wrong was one of Wrest's side-projects? Yeah, the guy behind Leviathan. No? Well, that's 'cause it's not true. Wrong is another one of those very original bands that like to wear ugly masks. And their latest effort is just as original as the people who dress up as the Joker for Halloween parties.

Now, don't get me Wrong - haha, see what I did there? - this is good. You are frustrated because you know you won't get a Lurker Of Chalice release any time soon and you can't wait for the next Leviathan. Go ahead, listen to Pessimistic Outcomes, then. It's an album that just might help you get your "Wrest-fix".

Even if they play a mid-tempo black metal you... could call depressing, this album won't leave you in the same state as one of Wrest's. Maybe it's due to the fact that we already heard it all. Perhaps it's because of the lack of surprise in the reverb vocals, the guitar work and songwriting. All the efforts put towards creating a dark and dismal atmosphere just reinforce my impression that this is almost Leviathan-plagiarism, simply without the crazy and terror. The only "new" - the quotation marks are necessary - elements are the little touches of piano here and there. And maybe a cleaner production than you'd expect.

It's sad really, because this doesn't sound half-bad. Everything is well executed, but there are better ambassadors for this kind of black metal. You get the idea after five great minutes, stay for fifteen more because it's not badly done, and end up feeling guilty when you press "stop" prematurely. I don't have much more to say, I'd love to finish on another lame pun, but that would be just Wrong.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written by Ilham | 28.07.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 23 users
28.07.2014 - 13:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I'm not reminded that much of Wrest stuff tbh. Butn it is pretty average and unoriginal sounding indeed.
I don't like the drums at all. They sound so... plastic? I dunno. It just sounds bad. The rest is pretty not bad if that makes sense. I can listen to it. So I agree with the ratings. Except for the production because... well... Those fucking drums.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.07.2014 - 13:59
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Well the drums are done by various session musicians. So that might explain what you hear. I agree they're not phenomenal. But I don't think it's because of the production.
That's funny, to me this is a really a Laviathan clone.
28.07.2014 - 14:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Yeah it's not how they are played. I just hate how it sounds. So, the production to me sucks.
Also, on a second note... Fuck the piano too. I'm not specially excied with that either. xD I haven't heard much Leviathan in a damn while so that might explain it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.07.2014 - 14:12
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Haha okay for the drums. Yeah that piano. It doesn't achieve anything really.
Well, Leviathan is a lot more chaotic and cloudy, this is aaaaalmost melodic at times, but just the vocals are enough to draw a comparison.
28.07.2014 - 14:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Oh yeah, the vocals are definitely Wrest-like. Which usually translates to "mumbling around".
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 2230 | This month: 6