02. Catharsis
03. Waiting For Deliverance
04. Borderlines
05. Towards Perdition
06. Fading Hope
07. Into The Abyss
08. Clearing The Eye
09. Transcending

While listening to a boatload of sludge/post-metal, I have come to the realization that the bands in this genre are one of three things:

A) Cult Of Luna worshipers
B) Isis worshipers
C) (A + B) = Rosetta worshipers

Finland's Crib45 fall under option A. The song structures, manifestations, and idiosyncrasies on Marching Through The Borderlines are impeccably similar to Cult Of Luna. This review will not be a knock on them because, as I have stated many times before, band clones are not a bad thing if the music and presentation are done in a way that absolutely warrants another band sounding like another band. In fact, Marching Through The Borderlines is one of the best post-metal records I've heard this year that borrows Cult Of Luna's post-metal equation and with some augmentation, adds a few different elements and properties.

Behind the ample theme are the explosive layered guitars. They create this enormous barrier of static dissonance and lay the infrastructure for a noisy, effects-driven aura that counterpoints the atmospheric landscapes created by the rest of the instruments and tools. The riffs are pretty simplistic, but when added to the thick bass, mid-tempo drum lines, and deep sludge-style screams, the dynamic turns up full-throttle and the sound is immeasurable. There is a lot of melody in the compositions, but they can also be outright chaotic, with high amounts of distortion and some ambient breaks in the flow.

Speaking of flow, the album is over 70 minutes long and will require every ounce of your patience and willpower. Four of the songs clock in over the 12-minute mark - but thankfully those are the four best songs on the album. Crib45 throw the entire book at us during those epic songs: repetitive chord progressions, clarinets and saxophones, keyboards and electronics, industrial tones and samples, and even a tad bit of pedestrian clean singing. The mixture works by adding a sort of non-traditional post-metal benchmark that evolves with continuity and smoothness in originality. Methodical and expertly crafted, the entire album is slow, thick, and feels more expansive than other music of this style. I drift from song to song and get a sensation of dark and heavy atmosphere.

This summary basically describes any Cult Of Luna album ever made. There is no way around it: Marching Through The Borderlines is borderline plagiarizing... or a sign of respect for a formula that has been well-used and successful. The songs are memorable and the production is flawless. It's a very good album that has been done many times before, and will be again until the post-metal/atmospheric sludge regime dies.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 06.08.2014 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 198 users
06.08.2014 - 21:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
CoL clones indeed, but I'm alright with it. Still not bored with Vertikal by any means, but now I have an alternative for when I want something similar without having to hear the same songs again.

Up on Bandcamp too. Very accurate review, and from what I'm hearing so far (currently listening to Waiting for Deliverance) I'd say very accurate rating too.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.08.2014 - 21:58
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.08.2014 at 21:54

CoL clones indeed, but I'm alright with it. Still not bored with Vertikal by any means, but now I have an alternative for when I want something similar without having to hear the same songs again.

No doubt Troy, this is eerily similar. It's crazy. I love CoL's sound so that's why I obviously dig this too. Thanks for the edit man!
----
rekt
06.08.2014 - 23:34
Rating: 9
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Never thought you would review it. And spot-on with mentioning the CoL formula.
07.08.2014 - 03:28
Diverge
Spot on with the review and the rating!
07.08.2014 - 06:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
So it seems all you have to do is play Post metal and jay will rate it 8.5+

I probably won't listen to this, after all I can listen to Cult Of Luna or Rosetta.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.08.2014 - 07:33
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
"Catharsis" is one of the best tunes I've heard all year, it's like a summary of the power in CoL's "The Beyond" record, all done and delivered in 5 and half mins.

Explosive is right. This is a great review as usual. I have this album with a silver medal for 2014 post-metal atm, gold goes to Dirge so far.
07.08.2014 - 12:38
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Boxcar Willy on 07.08.2014 at 06:05

I probably won't listen to this, after all I can listen to Cult Of Luna or Rosetta.

I rarely say this but: Your loss, Willy. Just because the formula is the same doesn't mean they're a soulless copycat.
07.08.2014 - 12:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I know more than anyone else in here that you don't like Neurosis but even Steve Wonder can clearly see that the average post/sludge metal act is a Neurosis worshiper waaaaay more than the bands you mentioned in your little list (except for Cult Of Luna.... MAYBE).

Guess I'll check it out at some point in the distant future (no internet at home makes me a loner). Although I'm getting the feeling that it's way longer than it should be. Anyways, thanks for the heads up.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.08.2014 - 17:21
Kuroboshi
Great! I'm definitely a CoL fanboy, so I'm up for this. Thanks for the tip, and good review. It would be interesting to see you review something not post.
09.08.2014 - 11:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor

Not true. You probably wouldn't believe how many albums I check out yearly. Click the link - this is a list of bands I have listened to in 2014 and didn't like, so far.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/236308503/Nope

I only write reviews for stuff I like and want to share. If you want me to review something bad, it's really out of my norm right now - I am still a noob when it comes to all of this. If I irritate you, which is the vibe I am getting from the last few comments you've posted about my reviews - then I am sorry, I am not a professional writer, and I only want to get some great "post" music on the MS site.
----
rekt
09.08.2014 - 11:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Kuroboshi on 07.08.2014 at 17:21

It would be interesting to see you review something not post.

Hey, I have a couple of reviews that aren't 'post' ...check em out
----
rekt
09.08.2014 - 11:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.08.2014 at 12:41

the average post/sludge metal act is a Neurosis worshiper

Might have been 5 years ago...not so much now. Seriously. And I admit the big post bands today that have some creed and a large discography - some time in the craft - will tell us Neurosis was a huge influence.
----
rekt
09.08.2014 - 16:07
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by tea[m]ster on 09.08.2014 at 11:39

Not true. You probably wouldn't believe how many albums I check out yearly. Click the link - this is a list of bands I have listened to in 2014 and didn't like, so far.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/236308503/Nope

I only write reviews for stuff I like and want to share. If you want me to review something bad, it's really out of my norm right now - I am still a noob when it comes to all of this. If I irritate you, which is the vibe I am getting from the last few comments you've posted about my reviews - then I am sorry, I am not a professional writer, and I only want to get some great "post" music on the MS site.

Don't take my comment too seriously, but I'd like to see a negative review sometime, they're almost as fun to write.
The worst are the albums that are so incredibly average. It's really hard to find things to say about them. Maybe I'm a bitter old man sometimes but I'm almost never serious about my posts. I'm peeved that I haven't had a laptop for months so I haven't been able to write anything myself, especially now that I have some time to do it. Oh well that's how she goes. You write good reviews (extremely well written) but like I said, whip out a negative one every now and again.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.08.2014 - 18:12
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.08.2014 at 16:07

whip out a negative one every now and again.

It's just weird. I would never ask Che to review a blackgaze or metalgaze album because he isn't into those bands. Why would someone want me to review the latest DragonForce album when I can't stand that type of music? I want "credible sources" reviewing the realm of music I like...that's why I always check out R'Vanniths reviews first. I know he reviews stuff that I probably would dig.

I could easily pick one of the bands on that non-favorite list of mine and review that but why would I want to bring something like that to the MS arena? I say bring the great stuff! (In my eyes, anyways )
----
rekt
10.08.2014 - 18:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by tea[m]ster on 10.08.2014 at 18:12

Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.08.2014 at 16:07

whip out a negative one every now and again.

It's just weird. I would never ask Che to review a blackgaze or metalgaze album because he isn't into those bands. Why would someone want me to review the latest DragonForce album when I can't stand that type of music? I want "credible sources" reviewing the realm of music I like...that's why I always check out R'Vanniths reviews first. I know he reviews stuff that I probably would dig.

I could easily pick one of the bands on that non-favorite list of mine and review that but why would I want to bring something like that to the MS arena? I say bring the great stuff! (In my eyes, anyways )

I'm not saying you should review a power metal album or some other genre you're already not find of (something that actually bothers me a lot) I'm saying to review an album that doesn't work within the genres you do like. I'm sure there's a few post/atmosludge albums that you're not fond of, right? That's what I want to see you review! I want to read why it's not a good album from someone who is obviously well versed within the genre. See what I mean? The same positive reviews over time lessen the value of each individual album. It's like giving out 10s to every album you like even if it's only an 8 or 9, when you find an album that is actually a 10, and you give it a 10, it doesn't have the same impact. (that was a loose example, stay with me ) I know you like to only review the really good stuff you hear, and I don't blame you, but every now and again there should be a levelling album, like a "hey, not everything is roses and sunshine" review.

Hopefully this makes sense
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.08.2014 - 18:30
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.08.2014 at 18:24

I'm sure there's a few post/atmosludge albums that you're not fond of, right? That's what I want to see you review!

"hey, not everything is roses and sunshine" review.

Great point and challenge accepted. Perfect explanation Tanner. Oh and btw, I was wondering why u stopped reviewing...get that fucking, piece of shit computer fixed!
----
rekt
10.08.2014 - 23:43
-Quatropus-
Post-Metal will grow much bigger once there's many bands to create a different sound and idea to Post-Metal. It's the same as many genres; most bands will get their influences from other bands and that will never really change. More Post-Metal is good for the world. Will definitely listen to this album more.

Hits total: 4558 | This month: 10