Metal Storm logo
Kyuss

Original post

Posted by John Barleycorn, 21.05.2006 - 01:41
Well, this is one of the originators, if not THE originator of stoner rock. You just got to love their blues influence and the great amount of groove they have. Also, Garcia´s vocals are fucking sweet. And so on...
05.05.2007 - 07:41
Bulldozer
Account deleted
Written by Throne of Rats on 05.05.2007 at 01:37

Written by Guest on 03.05.2007 at 14:47

Does anyone like the Kyuss - Queens of the Stone Age split? I discovered it a long time ago, but I still love that split.

What I was never aware of his, what song does it have?

1. "Into the Void"
2. "Fatso Forgotso"
3. "Fatso Forgotso Phase II

4. "If Only Everything"
5. "Born To Hula"
6. "Spiders and Vinegaroons"

The first three tracks are by Kyuss and the last three by the Queens. Note that the split was released in 1997.
15.02.2008 - 10:20
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I've been listening to "...As Circus Leaves the Town" a lot lately and I must say that I think it's quite under-appreciated. Fans of Kyuss usually mention "Blues for the Red Sun" and "Welcome to Sky Valley" as the best releases from this band but I can firmly say that this one is my favorite. It sounds quite fragmentary and without any flow that was present on the previous albums but I love it. These song structures enable some kind of strange intensity that sounds really original.
Not to mention that "Catamaran" is one of the most beautiful songs ever (although it's a cover).
18.02.2008 - 19:11
Pinusar
Account deleted
Kyuss is great, heavy in a way, and quite soft in another.
23.02.2008 - 03:32
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Ah, currently listening to their '...Sky Valley' album I bought earlier today. I forgot how totally awesome this album is. Not only does it have the laid back atmosphere, but the instruments are totally ripping! Josh Homme provides up with a beautiful shred fest, but the bassist Scott Reeder lays down some very slick grooves of his own. Not to mention John Garcia's vocals kick major ass. Perfect for this music. I'm definitely listening to this album when I drive back home next weekend. Like I've said before, great road music!
----
The force will be with you, always.
27.02.2008 - 00:45
Sonsofsabbath

Does anyone have the compilation muchos gracias? is it any good as an introduction?
27.02.2008 - 01:19
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Sonsofsabbath on 27.02.2008 at 00:45

Does anyone have the compilation muchos gracias? is it any good as an introduction?

I think you'd be better off getting one of their full length albums, like 'Blues For the Red Sun' or 'Welcome to Sky Valley.' That compilation is mostly B Sides and Live tracks. I'm sure it'd be a very great buy, but if you want something to start with, I wouldn't suggest it. Anything from Kyuss is great though.
----
The force will be with you, always.
12.05.2008 - 08:48
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Kyuss is one of the most criminally underrated bands in metal. on top of having great vocals, their bassist (at least on "welcome to sky valley") is INSANE.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
13.05.2008 - 06:31
Sonic MrSumo

Am listening to "Welcome to Sky Valley" now...wicked stuff!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
13.05.2008 - 18:56
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Kyuss rock. 'nuff said.

Gardenia m/
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
06.06.2008 - 09:24
Sonic MrSumo

Has anyone ever noticed that Metallica has blatantly ripped off a Kyuss riff.

Listen to Kyuss's "Big Bikes" (from Wretch) 43 seconds into it, and then listen to Metallica's "Bad Seed" (from Reload) 22 seconds into it.

The riff is exactly the same, only sped up a little?for shame Metallica!!!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
12.06.2008 - 12:49
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
^^Neat observation you make there sir. For shame indeed.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
12.06.2008 - 13:59
baldur

did you know that kyuss an metallica toured together some time ago and that one of the metallica guys asked kyuss (the band) after a show whether they wanna jam together and kyuss said NO

kyuss were even to cool to jam with metallica
13.06.2008 - 04:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by baldur on 12.06.2008 at 13:59

did you know that kyuss an metallica toured together some time ago and that one of the metallica guys asked kyuss (the band) after a show whether they wanna jam together and kyuss said NO

As far as I remember they never toured together. So please post an official link as to when that was.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.06.2008 - 05:52
Trial By Fire
Account deleted
I just bought Welcome to Sky Valley tonight, before ever having heard any of Kyuss' material before. I wasn't really sure what to expect but it was awesome. It was a such a breath of fresh air to hear some old school sabbath style riffs done with a newer sound without coming off as complete carbon copy worship (a lot of doom metal). It totally rocked the whole hour through, and it's only 3 songs!
13.06.2008 - 13:53
baldur

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.06.2008 at 04:46

As far as I remember they never toured together. So please post an official link as to when that was.

as far as i know they toured together in 1993 in australia
believe it or not i wont search links for you do it yourself
17.06.2008 - 02:47
Gordon Freeman

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.06.2008 at 04:46

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=44787
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
11.09.2008 - 16:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I am the lucky owner of the clear vinyl version of Gamma Ray's 7"
As you all probably know this is the band Josh Homme formed after Kyuss split up. And because of that shitty German generic power metal band being around with the name of Gamma Ray already they changed it into Queens Of The Stone Age.

Here is a link to the GOOD Gamma Ray: http://www.thefade.net/oldsite/discography/gammaray.html
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.09.2008 - 01:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.09.2008 at 16:09

I am the lucky owner of the clear vinyl version of Gamma Ray's 7"
As you all probably know this is the band Josh Homme formed after Kyuss split up. And because of that shitty German generic power metal band being around with the name of Gamma Ray already they changed it into Queens Of The Stone Age.

Here is a link to the GOOD Gamma Ray: http://www.thefade.net/oldsite/discography/gammaray.html

hella rare, clear vinyl 7", of the "good" gamma ray no less

i would hardly call gamma ray shitty by any means, simply because there are even more generic and albeit more shitty bands out there than gamma ray. gamma ray is just the best known.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.11.2008 - 17:22
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I really like Kyuss. They've put out some really strong music. Blues for the Red Sun is a really cool album.
----
Coldgrits
16.11.2008 - 15:49
benvolent

A band I discovered after their heirs QOTSA, which is a bit weird. I like their "Welcome to Sky Valley" album best and their influence on metal and rock is hard to underestimate,

But: why the hell are they supposed to be metal? That's pure (Stoner) rock IMO!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
27.09.2009 - 21:24
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
It really sad that such great band had stopped of creating there amazing music ..

even though QOTSA, and Josh Homme in general ... had been more in the spot light ... but i guess John Garacia is the man who deserve all grace .. because every single band had been in it ,, had its great, real STONER EFFORT .. SLO-BURN, UNIDA & even HERMANO ,, had made records that are considered classic, tr00 stoner metal ...
25.06.2010 - 18:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Here enjoy this. Olivieri and Bjork helping out Garcia at Hellfest:

Gardenia:

Green Machine:
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.06.2010 - 19:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

Josh Homme and Samwell... "What What", acoustic.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.10.2010 - 04:53
abortedKebab

Welcome to Sky Valley is definitely one of my favourite albums. That hidden track at the end is awesome as well.
08.10.2010 - 14:49
JD
Account deleted
I like this band it's kinda remind me of AiC and Nirvana a little bit "I meant the Vocals"
08.10.2010 - 17:47
JD
Account deleted
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 06.06.2008 at 09:24

Has anyone ever noticed that Metallica has blatantly ripped off a Kyuss riff.

Listen to Kyuss's "Big Bikes" (from Wretch) 43 seconds into it, and then listen to Metallica's "Bad Seed" (from Reload) 22 seconds into it.

The riff is exactly the same, only sped up a little?for shame Metallica!!!

True for shame Metallica!
08.10.2010 - 20:50
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Anyone like Brant Bjork's solo stuff here? I thought his latest Gods & Godesses was pretty cool. Though, my favourite of his is probably Saved By Magic with the Bros...
----
09.10.2010 - 14:54
JD
Account deleted
Written by John Barleycorn on 15.02.2008 at 10:20

"Catamaran"

THANK YOU! it's amazing song i was looking for something like this one
10.10.2010 - 03:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I keep on wondering why people keep on calling the album Kyuss L Welcome To Sky Valley" is it because of the cover art? Look on the side of the album and it is clear it is called Kyuss. Even the band says so in loads of interview. "Welcome To Sky Valley" isn't even an unofficial subtitle
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2010 - 13:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2010 at 03:48

I keep on wondering why people keep on calling the album Kyuss L Welcome To Sky Valley" is it because of the cover art? Look on the side of the album and it is clear it is called Kyuss. Even the band says so in loads of interview. "Welcome To Sky Valley" isn't even an unofficial subtitle

True indeed.