05. Ex Inferis
06. We Won't Back Down
07. Winter Is Coming
08. Origins
09. Tainted Metal
10. Evil Incarnate
11. Wildfire
12. Demonized [limited edition bonus]

On the cover artwork, Hector is back. But, is HammerFall?

After failing while trying to darken their sound with 2011's Infected, (r)Evolution marks a blatant return to the roots, to the sounds of the late '90s/early 00's that forged HammerFall's name. Therefore, one could assume the logic, twisted as it is, behind the album name, but that's it.

HammerFall never released phenomenal albums: they always watered down four to five tracks of great content with as many just tolerable tunes, obtaining seven good albums in which, until Infected, the passable tracks had a glorious predominance. (r)Evolution is no exception. Despite "Hector's Hymn" being one of the best openers in their career, and "Bushido" and "Origins" gaining a sure place in every future live setlist, the rest of the album is a mixture of mediocrity, stereotypes and "already heard".

With musicianship that rarely pushes itself beyond the trivial, the foreseeable and the safe, and the same being for the songwriting, reduced to the bone, (r)Evolution is both a slightly subpar HammerFall album yet among the best they've released in some years. Because, let's face it: if some bands can last their whole career trusting their trademark sound, HammerFall can't, and the hype around their albums has been dropping in recent times. The band probably sensed it, and here is where Infected came in, trying to renew what was born already old, but failing. The only thing to do was rushing back to the roots, clinging to the popularity these Swedish guys have crafted.

As stated before, with a similar throwback, for a band like this falling in the "already heard" was almost inevitable. But, despite the attempt to dust the older style, (r)Evolution doesn't even remotely convey the sensations that classics as Glory To The Brave did. It pales in comparison, and feels? tired.

This said, long-time HammerFall fans will find what they've almost always found. Some great sing-along live tunes, a dramatic power ballad a la "Dark Winds, Dark Words" again based on the Game Of Thrones universe, a handful of decent tracks and others made to make sure that the "skip" button on the stereo still works.

(r)Evolution is not the ground-breaking return some were hoping for. Neither is it a good album for the band's standards. It's a safe, just satisfactory one. No more. But at least, many will say, it's HammerFall again.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written on 13.08.2014 by Hopefully you won't agree with me, diversity of opinions is what makes metal so beautiful and varied.

So... critics and advices absolutely welcome.

Comments

Comments: 8   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 317 users
13.08.2014 - 12:47
Rating: 6
R Lewis
Btw, don't worry too much. This will surely be rated higher.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
13.08.2014 - 20:37
HyperDrifter
Can't say I'm surprised to see average or below score for this, I lost faith in HammerFall ever since Elmgren left.
14.08.2014 - 19:24
Neoxx07
After the Renegade album nothing was the same with this band.
15.08.2014 - 17:01
Stunning Cactus
I've always felt that their true prowess lay in their ability to write strong power ballads, namely Glory to the Brave, Always Will Be, Never Ever, The Fallen One (damn...), and Dreams Come True. Therefore, I am truly looking forward to hearing Dark Winds, Dark Words.
15.08.2014 - 19:15
Rating: 6
R Lewis
Written by Stunning Cactus on 15.08.2014 at 17:01

I've always felt that their true prowess lay in their ability to write strong power ballads, namely Glory to the Brave, Always Will Be, Never Ever, The Fallen One (damn...), and Dreams Come True. Therefore, I am truly looking forward to hearing Dark Winds, Dark Words.

Actually Dark Wings Dark Words was in Threshold. The ballad in question is Winter Is Coming
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
16.08.2014 - 08:09
Stunning Cactus
Written by R Lewis on 15.08.2014 at 19:15

Written by Stunning Cactus on 15.08.2014 at 17:01

Actually Dark Wings Dark Words was in Threshold. The ballad in question is Winter Is Coming

Oops. That's what I get for forumgoing at 6am. Thanks for clearing that up, going to listen to that song now!
31.08.2014 - 06:00
Rating: 7
Sepulnation
I'm not agree.. The first three album are exceptional!
----
fuck shit up!
17.05.2017 - 00:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Who is hector and I agree its back to roots, decent album in wail of old days, old good PM; there are few good PM bands this is one of them.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6948 | This month: 14