18 want it

01. Dark 4.18
02. Dark 4.19
03. Dark 4.20

Staff review by
Windrider
Rating:
N/A
So, one of the biggest ambient black metal bands released their new album this year. Time to lose some words on that. Darkspace from Switzerland continue their journey through the dark space (no pun intended as it's the actual name of their albums) with Dark Space III I. And not only that but even the songs are simply called "Dark 4.18", "Dark 4.19" and "Dark 4.20". Looks like the band is quite out of ideas, doesn't it? However, the important point is the music, so let's have a closer look at that.

Read more ››
published 13.12.2014 | Comments (13)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 6

Comments: 177   [ 6 ignored ]   Visited by: 662 users
01.10.2014 - 23:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 09.09.2014 at 20:17

...in this bad year

What have you been listening to?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.10.2014 - 14:52
Zap
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.09.2014 at 16:21

This is probably one of their best albums for sure. III might still win but just by a hair at most.

Frak, I don't know anymore, I think I'm starting to prefer this one to III to be honest. That second track just... does it for me.
02.10.2014 - 16:09
Rating: 9
Reaper_Redeemer

Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.10.2014 at 23:15

Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 09.09.2014 at 20:17

...in this bad year

What have you been listening to?

What do you suggest for this year?
02.10.2014 - 23:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 02.10.2014 at 16:09

What do you suggest for this year?

Too much to list right here, I'd suggest just looking through my reviews and checking out anything I gave an 8 or higher. N/A albums too because that's usually my way of saying an album is too good to be scored against any standards
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
31.10.2014 - 06:55
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Pretty addicting.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
31.10.2014 - 09:39
no one
Account deleted
^ Addictive?

i like how darkspace interests people from all sides of the ms realm
31.10.2014 - 16:13
Lit.
Account deleted
The fact that the album itself is over an hour long and still addictive is still an impressive feat in itself.
03.11.2014 - 21:49
Rating: 8
Erik M.

Written by Alex F on 15.09.2014 at 03:45

Also it's basically the same quality as III to me

Nah, III is way superior to this.
03.11.2014 - 23:05
mz

Written by Erik M. on 03.11.2014 at 21:49

Written by Alex F on 15.09.2014 at 03:45

Also it's basically the same quality as III to me

Nah, III is way superior to this.

I knew that you are going to link that boring album instead of the IIIrd darkspace record. Further proof of your shitty taste:D
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.11.2014 - 23:12
Erik M.

Written by mz on 03.11.2014 at 23:05

I knew that you are going to link that boring album instead of the IIIrd darkspace record. Further proof of your shitty taste:D

If you think Spectral Lore - III is boring, then I feel sorry for you. Of course I like this as well, as my rating clearly indicates, but it's easily beaten by Spectral Lore's III. An album of nearly 90 minutes that's highly enjoyable and interesting from start to finish is impressive indeed. And in contrary to this album, SL's III has loads and loads of variety to it, ranging from awesome BM riffs to atmospheric spacey ambient passages.
03.11.2014 - 23:25
mz

Written by Erik M. on 03.11.2014 at 23:12

And in contrary to this album, SL's III has loads and loads of variety to it, ranging from awesome BM riffs to atmospheric spacey ambient passages.

Yeah, but I personally prefer to use pointless meandering instead of variety.
----
04.11.2014 - 13:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Spectral Lore lack an interesting identity. You can be "varied" and not interesting if you don't have a sound that's worth listening to. To make matters worse Spectral Lore don't know when to quit so they become bloated. Darkspace on the other hand have a sound all their own and can be picked out of a crowd with ease, and they know when enough is enough. Ultimately Spectral Lore are quite boring I suppose. Too many "atmospheric" black metal bands around these days and they don't do enough to distinguish themselves, which is unfortunate by now as they've / he's been around a while now. Good for mass consumption "atmos" black I suppose, but I'm too into cherry picking the best and most memorable bands these days to really bother.
04.11.2014 - 16:30
Lit.
Account deleted
Spectral Lore are indeed quite boring. Ironic considering this album is longer but Spectral Lore feels like the one that's too bloated and long. Darkspace don't have much variety, but I have no issue with listening to their albums no matter how long they are.

Why are we talking about that mediocre album on a Darkspace thread anyway?
04.11.2014 - 16:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.11.2014 at 16:30

Spectral Lore are indeed quite boring. Ironic considering this album is longer but Spectral Lore feels like the one that's too bloated and long. Darkspace don't have much variety, but I have no issue with listening to their albums no matter how long they are.

This is 64 minutes. The Spectral Lore one is 87 minutes. 87 minutes which doesn't really justify the length.
04.11.2014 - 16:36
Lit.
Account deleted
Well, shit. I thought it was longer than that. My point still stands though, right?
04.11.2014 - 16:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.11.2014 at 16:36

Well, shit. I thought it was longer than that. My point still stands though, right?

If they were same length I'd still pick Darkspace in a heartbeat.
04.11.2014 - 23:00
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 04.11.2014 at 13:16

Spectral Lore lack an interesting identity. You can be "varied" and not interesting if you don't have a sound that's worth listening to. To make matters worse Spectral Lore don't know when to quit so they become bloated. Darkspace on the other hand have a sound all their own and can be picked out of a crowd with ease, and they know when enough is enough. Ultimately Spectral Lore are quite boring I suppose. Too many "atmospheric" black metal bands around these days and they don't do enough to distinguish themselves, which is unfortunate by now as they've / he's been around a while now. Good for mass consumption "atmos" black I suppose, but I'm too into cherry picking the best and most memorable bands these days to really bother.

I find it amusing you try to state all this objectively (if not, it does come across as such) while you fail in that regard seeing as I totally disagree with most of what you wrote. The only thing I agree with is that some songs go on for a bit too long for their own good, but I still think that's only a minor issue. Also, the "good for mass consumption" but made me cringe. If you think Spectral Lore is music for the masses then I can only do this:

Written by Guest on 04.11.2014 at 16:33

This is 64 minutes. The Spectral Lore one is 87 minutes. 87 minutes which doesn't really justify the length.

I think it does. It's interesting, engaging and highly enjoyable all the way through. It would've been better if it were about 10-15 minutes shorter, though. I agree with that.
04.11.2014 - 23:00
Erik M.

Written by mz on 03.11.2014 at 23:25

Yeah, but I personally prefer to use pointless meandering instead of variety.

Whatever floats your boat. It still is an album that has loads of variety to it. Not saying that it's inherently a good thing, but it does make it more interesting and engaging to me, especially seeing as it's such a long album.
04.11.2014 - 23:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 04.11.2014 at 23:00

I find it amusing you try to state all this objectively (if not, it does come across as such) while you fail in that regard seeing as I totally disagree with most of what you wrote. The only thing I agree with is that some songs go on for a bit too long for their own good, but I still think that's only a minor issue. Also, the "good for mass consumption" but made me cringe. If you think Spectral Lore is music for the masses then I can only do this:

Apparently I do still need to add "imo" at the end of everything I say to quell the sensitive people.

And by "masses" I think one can easily deduce that I'm referring to people who consume a lot of "atmospheric" black metal, not the masses that is the general public. I hope you aren't trying to misrepresent my argument by suggesting otherwise, and this is just down to you not understanding my point.

Btw, you don't need to keep telling us that when you disagree with our opinions that it makes you cringe, or you feel sorry for us, or that you facepalm. It doesn't add veracity to your opinions in the slightest
05.11.2014 - 08:47
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.11.2014 at 13:16

yeah i agree, way too many atmospheric bm bands out there, and even though i still listen to lots of them hoping that, maybe if i just need to listen to them a few more times i will hear something that stands out, it's still bands like darkspace/paysage d'hiver that i keep going back to.
05.11.2014 - 22:26
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 04.11.2014 at 23:05

Apparently I do still need to add "imo" at the end of everything I say to quell the sensitive people.

And by "masses" I think one can easily deduce that I'm referring to people who consume a lot of "atmospheric" black metal, not the masses that is the general public. I hope you aren't trying to misrepresent my argument by suggesting otherwise, and this is just down to you not understanding my point.

Btw, you don't need to keep telling us that when you disagree with our opinions that it makes you cringe, or you feel sorry for us, or that you facepalm. It doesn't add veracity to your opinions in the slightest

Just one "I think" or "in my opinion" is more than enough. Your comment seemed objectively worded on purpose, to me.

Also, funny what you saw about the so-called masses seeing as this album is actually quite a bit more popular on MS: 77 votes (DS) vs 46 votes (SL). Not to mention DarkSpace in general is a much more popular band than Spectral Lore: 122 fans (DS) vs 25 fans (SL). So going by these number, DS is clearly the more popular band, with higher average ratings as well.

And when I say "I feel sorry for you" in this context, it basically translates to "you have shitty taste". (which is what mz said to me directly)

Btw, please don't tell me how to reply to your, or anyone else's, posts. Get off your high horse, FFS.
05.11.2014 - 23:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 05.11.2014 at 22:26

Just one "I think" or "in my opinion" is more than enough. Your comment seemed objectively worded on purpose, to me.

If you can't learn to forum then perhaps you shouldn't join discussions. "I thinks" and "in my opinions" are totally unnecessary when discussing opinions on music. I'm not going to preface everything I say just to protect the sensitive.

Quote:
Also, funny what you saw about the so-called masses seeing as this album is actually quite a bit more popular on MS: 77 votes (DS) vs 46 votes (SL). Not to mention DarkSpace in general is a much more popular band than Spectral Lore: 122 fans (DS) vs 25 fans (SL). So going by these number, DS is clearly the more popular band, with higher average ratings as well.

Once again you aren't understanding my point. I'm not talking about popularity. I was suggesting that I think (there you go) that Spectral Lore's sound is very much lowest common denominator type black metal that would appeal to lot of people that have a specific like of that type of music. I then went on to say that it does little for me because it doesn't sound interesting or unique enough. At no point did I talk about how popular the band is, only that the type of music it plays would be ideal for mass consumption because it's frankly quite generic, albeit not awful.

Quote:

Btw, please don't tell me how to reply to your, or anyone else's, posts. Get off your high horse, FFS.

Feel free to respond how you like, but I would encourage you not to preface every one of your opinions with the faux shock, disgust, distaste, sympathy you to seem to revel in. Frankly I would say it hurts any case you try to make and makes you sound immature and whiny. Feel free to carry on though. I look forward to your next "WTF!? Why isn't x-band in this list?!" comment. It's so genuine
06.11.2014 - 01:33
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.11.2014 - 02:46
Lit.
Account deleted
Guys, can't we all just agree that this album is better than Spectral Lore's?
06.11.2014 - 03:17
Diverge

The album better be as interesting as this damn conversation up here. I THINK this might be Joe at his sassiest.
06.11.2014 - 03:20
mz

Written by Diverge on 06.11.2014 at 03:17

The album better be as interesting as this damn conversation up here.

Are you implying that you haven't heard it already?
----
06.11.2014 - 03:21
Diverge

Written by mz on 06.11.2014 at 03:20

Written by Diverge on 06.11.2014 at 03:17

The album better be as interesting as this damn conversation up here.

Are you implying that you haven't heard it already?

Indeed. I'm putting on 4.18 now. :O
06.11.2014 - 04:15
Diverge

Yeah this was pretty decent. I've only heard III I and I, though, so maybe I'm not in the best position to judge this relative to their other work. I wasn't quite as mesmerized as I was with I, though, although the first track is probably the best Darkspace track I've heard.
06.11.2014 - 13:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Got my sass on.

Yeah I'm still umm-ing and ahh-ing over which I prefer out of III and III I. They could both be as good really.
06.11.2014 - 15:43
mz

Still hadn't found time to revisit III. At the moment,I prefere this one.
----

Hits total: 15648 | This month: 11