02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith In Others
09. Solitude [Black Sabbath cover] [live] [special edition bonus]
10. Var Kommer Barnen In [Hansson De Wolfe United cover] [live] [special edition bonus]
11. Atonement [live] [Japanese bonus]
12. Demon Of The Fall [live] [Japanese bonus]

Opeth have softened their sound. This is old news, and this is also an old sound. Pale Communion is their sophomore in a retrograde and vintage style of progressive rock, yet it remains poised with their distinctive craftsmanship. The question arises as to whether this record builds upon the band's efforts in Heritage. It does.

Pale Communion has direction and frame. Less a collation of Opethian filtered prog homage, more a record with a sense of purpose and stylistic decision making of its own accord and character. In this respect the Swedes have found their comfort zone in their newly adopted style, something which focuses purely on the progressive rock, an element which has always permeated their sound within prior metal albums.

This effort is driven by percussion and acoustic, two aspects of the instrumentation which stand out clearly across the record in ways unprecedented for Opeth. Axe at the drums is noticeably busy for much of the album's duration, clearly steering its course in a style of progression that is typical for the band. Softer segments of keys intersperse the sound defined by rhythmic precision and progressive guitar noodling, also adding that golden glow to the atmospheric backdrop that is as much a part of their artistry as ever.

This is not to overlook Åkerfeldt, his vocal work receiving its usual pride of place at the fore of delivery in his purely clean style, offering an identifiable and comforting croon to the arrangements. Though emphasised, his delivery is never overstated, but finds a natural accommodating factor into providing much of the record's character. Otherwise, the new and assured direction in this album comes at a price; its vintage feel becomes hardened and less exciting as what was presented in Heritage in such an eager and somewhat heavy handed construction of a track list. This made the preceding sound more varied but largely aimless, whereas Pale Communion turns this notion on its head.

One can hear that this record has a place to be. It proceeds in progressions more neatly and astutely defined, yet the initially impacting waft of sounds from prog of yore that Heritage had seems to be lost. No heady projections of early era Deep Purple, for instance. What we're offered this time is a rather more bare bones approach, yet the bones solidify the direction the band has taken into their own renditions of progressive rock.

The production adds modern veneer to the old style of sound, and is especially suited to the enhancing of the percussive strengths, granting it a weight that is best afforded to recent progressive rock records that aim for stylistic heaviness where appropriate, such as The Void by Beardfish. Pale Communion is produced in such a way that easily acclimatises Opeth's sound into the modern progressive rock scene.

While Opeth have found their reason in rock, Pale Communion is progressive in two ways especially. One, it calls upon stylistic similarities to and compositional borrowings from the genre's founding fathers, and two, it marks a move further down the band's own path into their demetallized direction.

Written on 20.08.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
My favorite band is Opeth; I was on the bandwagon around the days of My Arms, Your Hearse and have never jumped off. When it comes to an album like Pale Communion there is an important question I've had to ask myself: do I like Opeth because they're a metal band or do I like Opeth because of the way they play their music? Is it the heavy death metal growls that make them so great or the overall vibe they create with their experimentation? In the end, I find it is the latter that is true for me in both cases.

Read more ››
published 31.05.2016 | Comments (6)

Comments

Comments: 61   Visited by: 703 users
20.08.2014 - 11:06
Mikael´s vocals are awufl, he really lost his voice. He sounds like a drunk teenager singing, Sorry, I´m a Big fan of Opeth but this album is very bad. Even Heritage is better.
20.08.2014 - 12:45
Rating: 6
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Music is there but it sounds uninspired and boring.
20.08.2014 - 12:53
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Very well written review. Thank you.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
20.08.2014 - 13:12
Rating: 9
seafood

Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 20.08.2014 at 11:06

Mikael´s vocals are awufl, he really lost his voice. He sounds like a drunk teenager singing, Sorry, I´m a Big fan of Opeth but this album is very bad. Even Heritage is better.

Interesting, I thought his vocals on this album were best do date (naturally, considering clear vocals only). Oh, people and their different opinions
20.08.2014 - 13:46
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by seafood on 20.08.2014 at 13:12

Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 20.08.2014 at 11:06

Interesting, I thought his vocals on this album were best do date (naturally, considering clear vocals only). Oh, people and their different opinions

I haven't listened to the album yet, only the two advance songs released and his vocals sounded as good as they've always been. As well as having one of the best growls in the business (which he doesn't use at the moment), he's one of the very few metal guys who can really sing clean vocals well. So much talent, but you can never please everyone.
----
20.08.2014 - 17:57
Opethian

Spot on Review. I normally don't read reviews until I have the material on hand but this wasn't something that i was 'Holding my Breath' for so to speak. I can't believe im saying that about Opeth
20.08.2014 - 19:14
bleak
Account deleted
The album is very good. Way better and focused than Heritage. The vocals are great... more organic, real... love it!
20.08.2014 - 21:07
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Smooth move not giving a rating. Now people will have to read your review before they can complain.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.08.2014 - 22:22
BehzadSh

Written by Ace Frawley on 20.08.2014 at 13:46

I haven't listened to the album yet, only the two advance songs released and his vocals sounded as good as they've always been. As well as having one of the best growls in the business (which he doesn't use at the moment), he's one of the very few metal guys who can really sing clean vocals well. So much talent, but you can never please everyone.

The only track in this album that I did not enjoy mike voice and his singing was Elysian Woes.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
20.08.2014 - 22:26
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.08.2014 at 21:07

Smooth move not giving a rating. Now people will have to read your review before they can complain.

Only N/A? This album deserves at least N/A+
20.08.2014 - 22:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.08.2014 at 21:07

Seriously though. I don't really review "popular" bands that often, but if I ever do, and I know my opinion will conflict with mainstream consensus, I might just pull the N/A card myself. God forbid we ever see the visual diarrhea that was the comment section for that review of The Satanist rear its head again.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
20.08.2014 - 22:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I actually find rating something n/a a total chicken shit cop out

except for re-releases & e.p.'s and such that is
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2014 - 23:07
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Great review. I don't really like Mikael's vocals in Elysian Woes and the song Goblin doesn't work for me, but apart from that the album sounds great. Yet, I understand those who don't like it. For me, they're still one of the most talented bands out there.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
20.08.2014 - 23:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
What this album lacks in flare as found in Heritage, it makes up in refinement. As a whole, however, Heritage is the superior album.
20.08.2014 - 23:27
Daniell
_爱情_
A step up from Heritage, but still far from satisfactory.

R'Vannith, grow a pair and rate the album.
20.08.2014 - 23:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeKiwi on 20.08.2014 at 23:21

What this album lacks in flare as found in Heritage, it makes up in refinement. As a whole, however, Heritage is the superior album.

Heritage flair?

That was a total recycle bin of 60s and 70s progrock.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2014 - 23:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 23:27

Heritage flair?

Whoops, spelled flair wrong I don't believe that to any degree given that early prog rock sounds like garbage to my ears, yet Heritage doesn't.
21.08.2014 - 00:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeKiwi on 20.08.2014 at 23:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 23:27

Heritage flair?

Whoops, spelled flair wrong I don't believe that to any degree given that early prog rock sounds like garbage to my ears, yet Heritage doesn't.

I hadn't even noticed you had spelled flaire wrong
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 00:23
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2014 at 00:22

flaire

*flair
21.08.2014 - 00:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeKiwi on 21.08.2014 at 00:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2014 at 00:22

flaire

*flair

Craft beers kicking in it seemss
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 01:17
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2014 at 00:29

Craft beers kicking in it seemss

No shame in that
21.08.2014 - 01:37
Desert Father

Not a fan of Mikael's new "dirty clean" vocals that he started using in Watershed, to me he now sounds quite one-dimensional.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
21.08.2014 - 02:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I am intrigued. enjoyed Heritage a bit, even if derivative. was a nice curve ball. looking forward to this.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.08.2014 - 05:18
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 22:57

I must admit, the lack of a rating does disappoint me, but the quality of the writing on the review was first class. I'm over the trend of reviewers trying to come up with witty one-liners and jokes to try and make their reviews stand out or get attention. Especially the ones that make outlandish and far-fetched claims to garner controversy (intentionally or not). This review is superbly written and really explains the album and the music well. Would have been top notch with a rating.
----
21.08.2014 - 07:32
blackmamba

Written by Guest on 20.08.2014 at 19:14

The album is very good. Way better and focused than Heritage. The vocals are great... more organic, real... love it!

I agree 100%
21.08.2014 - 09:23
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Desert Father on 21.08.2014 at 01:37

Not a fan of Mikael's new "dirty clean" vocals that he started using in Watershed, to me he now sounds quite one-dimensional.

I can't even express how polar I feel about them compared to you.
21.08.2014 - 12:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 22:57

I've gotten back into the habit of giving the rating with my reviews, but some times it is difficult based on content. Like my review for the new Keitzer album, the first couple of tracks I'd pin around the low 6 area, the latter half of the album is probably the best material I've listened to this year. Makes it hard to give it a flat score.

As for Opeth...Judging by this review and the snippets I've heard it sounds better than Heritage. Still, I can't get into new Opeth stuff, without that dynamic, varied sound, I find very few redeeming qualities left in this band. That being said, I don't feel as pissed off as I was when Heritage came out, after all, Mikael Akerfeldt has been quite vocal about his love for 70's prog for a while, it shouldn't have come as any surprise. Good for him for taking his band in the direction he wants at the risk of alienating his fan base. At least the shift in sound wasn't spurred on because of some silly trend appeal. Besides, by now I've found a lot more bands that deliver that sort of...duality. It's a shame I won't be able to hear it in the Opeth fashion again, but at least I've still got Still Life to listen to.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.08.2014 - 13:43
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Doc G. on 21.08.2014 at 12:36

It's a shame I won't be able to hear it in the Opeth fashion again, but at least I've still got Still Life to listen to.

By far my favourite Opeth album. Godhead's Lament is my favourite song of all time.
21.08.2014 - 15:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Doc G. on 21.08.2014 at 12:36

It's a shame I won't be able to hear it in the Opeth fashion again, but at least I've still got Still Life to listen to.

When I saw the on the Heritage tour they opened with "Heritage" (the title track) and I thought "ok, this is it...", but the rest of the set bounced all over their catalog. ALso must say I've enjoyed their albums a bit, but live I found them a lot more enthralling.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.08.2014 - 16:18
BlankFile

I´ve heard it a few times by now, and i can say that i enjoy the álbum. I think it´s better than Heritage, with a more consistent sound and pretty likeable songs. It has good riffs, vocals and harmonies, its a pretty good progressive rock álbum. Its not the Opeth i enjoy best, off course... im still waiting that the guys consider returning to their old sound any time soon.

Hits total: 13593 | This month: 51