Metal Storm logo
The Worst "Popular" Metal Albums

I realize the importance of these albums to the genres, and the influence they have had. however I do not find these albums really that great and pleasurable due to the competition and elimination through these decades of musical evolution. I respect these bands for releasing something so creative, conceptual and also brought us to the new dimension in the past.

My opinions are solely personal which are based on its musical value in modern era, not for its historical significance.

I received complaints from some members about rating their favorite albums at low scores. Unfortunately I am not able to do anything which is against my own will in order to please some of you.

I apologize in advance for my poor english which restricted me for answering some of your questions and requests. On the other hand I was not able to convey my message efficiently due to the reason above mentioned that had caused a lot of misunderstandings.

Definition :
Overrated : A term used to describe something that gets more hype and credit than it's actually worth.
Classic : (adjective) of the first or highest quality, class, or rank. (noun) Something noteworthy of its kind and worth "remembering".

****************************************************************************************************
1) All albums listed are considered OVERRATED in my personal point of view.
2) Opinions are solely personally, I hope interference from the website owners could be reduced to minimum.

Created by: Dr. Strawberry | 20.08.2014

1. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Rating : 4-5
2. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Rating : 3-4
3. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God
Rating : 5-6
4. Accept - Restless And Wild
Rating : 2-3
5. Accept - Balls To The Wall
6. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
7. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Rating : 7-8
8. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
9. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
10. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
11. Death - Leprosy
Rating : 6-7
12. Death - Human
13. Death - Individual Thought Patterns
14. Death - Symbolic
Rating : 2-3
15. Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
16. Dream Theater - Awake
17. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
18. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
19. Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
20. Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
21. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
22. King Diamond - Abigail
23. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
24. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
25. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
26. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
27. Machine Head - The Blackening
28. Overkill - Ironbound
29. Overkill - The Electric Age
30. Obituary - Slowly We Rot
31. Repulsion - Horrified
32. Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
33. Slayer - Show No Mercy
34. Sodom - Agent Orange

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Dr. Strawberry ]

Comments page 2 / 7

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 198   Visited by: 415 users
25.08.2014 - 23:07
Erik M.

Written by deadone on 25.08.2014 at 02:29

I don't believe in concept of "overrated" as it's personal taste.

I do think there's such a thing as "underrated" for music that has not had enough exposure.

When someone finds a certain album to be (much) less great than what the general consensus (opinion) is, one can state that said album is "overrated" in their view. So yes, of course it's about personal taste. How could it not be?

Calling something underrated would be the complete opposite of "overrated", so definitely not what you're describing. You're looking for the word "overlooked", not overrated.
25.08.2014 - 23:17
Erik M.

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 25.08.2014 at 20:44

ok, this is a great album, I have changed my score from 4 to 9, satisfied ?

Then why does your list still say that this particular album is a 4 and not a 9? If you suddenly change your rating so drastically, at least be consistent and remove it from this list.
26.08.2014 - 06:31
Diverge

I just don't understand.
26.08.2014 - 12:50
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Erik M. on 25.08.2014 at 23:07

I do think there's such a thing as "underrated" for music that has not had enough exposure.

When someone finds a certain album to be (much) less great than what the general consensus (opinion) is, one can state that said album is "overrated" in their view. So yes, of course it's about personal taste. How could it not be?

Calling something underrated would be the complete opposite of "overrated", so definitely not what you're describing. You're looking for the word "overlooked", not overrated.

Exactly.
26.08.2014 - 13:30
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.08.2014 at 20:33

I'm pretty sure it's just a list of albums he doesn't like as much as the rest of the people on MS according to the ratings.

Isn't that what everyone's view of "overrated" is? When you don't like something as much as the majority?

Simple example :

Barack Obama
2008 - Highly Rated by MAJORITY
2014 - OVERRATED...

You believe in majority ?
26.08.2014 - 13:40
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2014 at 21:26

Written by Guest on 25.08.2014 at 21:17

The funny thing is that the discussion wasn't really even about his score. Was more about his bizarre attitude and perceptions of metal.

Exactly (as was also shown in the comments he posted on 40 Watt Sun ). I rated Ironbound a 6 and tbh it might as well be a 5, so I can totally understand the 4 GodBuster awarded it.For all I care he gave it a 10 or a 1.

There is really nothing to talk about my score, it's not the core but...do you think that those high scores given by majority (not only on MS but everywhere) really had reflected the TRUTH or just a FASHION.
26.08.2014 - 19:22
Dr. Strawberry

Written by deadone on 26.08.2014 at 18:29

Written by Guest on 26.08.2014 at 12:10

This confuses me. One exists but the other doesn't? However I'm in no mood to debate this stance so please pretend like I didn't say anything and continue on with your day ^.^

As Erik said, overlooked is a better term.

What Please.. those albums are famous therefore overrated is the damn correct term.
26.08.2014 - 19:46
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Ilham on 25.08.2014 at 02:43

Written by deadone on 25.08.2014 at 02:36

IM t big classic albums have survived decades so if they were truly shit, they wouldn't be regard as classics decades after they were released. In my opinion underrated means underexposed i.e. not enough people have heard them for the album to be truly regarded as either good or bad.

I put "classic" in quotation marks because I think that term is still somewhat not easy to define and gets thrown around a lot for no reason. Especially since we don't have that much perspective on certain albums, and some people call them "classics" just because they're old or they had commercial success. Which doesn't exactly convince me.

A gold colour sticker written "11 New Classics" on the cover of 2010 Ratt's Infestation Immediately caused confusion. Everybody thought it was a compilation though there's nothing wrong with the usage of the term. They meant future classics, we though classics in the past.
26.08.2014 - 21:19
Erik M.

Written by deadone on 26.08.2014 at 07:24

Overlooked does work far better!

And here I expected to get into a discussion because of what I said. Good to know that's not the case.
26.08.2014 - 21:35
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Erik M. on 26.08.2014 at 21:24

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 26.08.2014 at 13:30

Simple example :

Barack Obama
2008 - Highly Rated by MAJORITY
2014 - OVERRATED...

You believe in majority ?

*Facepalm*

What Troy said is correct (I said basically the same thing). When a certain album is generally praised and you dislike it/hate it (or whatever), then that album is overrated in your view.

Btw, are you following the news ? or you're living in your own cell ignoring what is going on...and considered yourself - majority ?
Obama has been criticising by citizens of US, Hillary, his own paty and other paties' members for everything he has done for diplomacy and economy.
26.08.2014 - 21:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The Obama thing is an idiotic example. That's public opinion of one person who changes over time. These are albums that are products of their time in history. Talk about false equivalency...
26.08.2014 - 21:47
Erik M.

I only really said that what Troy said is correct and didn't really respond to the example you gave. Hence why I deleted my post.

I'm a Dutchman and while I do know more or less what's going on, I certainly don't follow the news actively. That being said, I think I'm going to agree with Joe on this matter.
26.08.2014 - 22:08
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 26.08.2014 at 21:40

The Obama thing is an idiotic example. That's public opinion of one person who changes over time. These are albums that are products of their time in history. Talk about false equivalency...

Not really idiotic as I changed my point of view to some "vintage albums" over time due to the evolvement of music in history. As mentioned "albums are products of their time in history". Now will be the history of the future, what I think is good might be refuted by myself in the future. Move on please...I totally understood if you cherished the nostalgic value and considered those as masterpieces at their own times.
26.08.2014 - 22:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Unlike deadone I believe anyone can legitimately call something overrated if they offer a good enough argument. My point was that your Obama example was very poor and did not compare.
27.08.2014 - 13:59
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 26.08.2014 at 22:11

1) Unlike deadone I believe anyone can legitimately call something overrated if they offer a good enough argument.

2) My point was that your Obama example was very poor and did not compare.

1) True.

2) Obama example defines "overrated' can be used under many circumstances and it's a comparative, not stand alone. Anything has received high acclaim before but nother group of people don't buy the idea and call it "overrated" or otherwise...and also "Majority" concept is only a "Sheep Effect".
I did not compare Obama with Albums.
27.08.2014 - 14:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.
27.08.2014 - 14:16
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 27.08.2014 at 14:08

Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.

Ha...Ha...cool
27.08.2014 - 17:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
If you somehow manage to spin this into an off-topic political debate I will straight up delete this entire list.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.08.2014 - 18:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.08.2014 at 17:22

If you somehow manage to spin this into an off-topic political debate I will straight up delete this entire list.

I'd say it's already past that point.

I'd like to comment on this list, but to be honest I don't really understand any of it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.08.2014 - 00:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Funny how someone can truly say with dry eyes that some of the most influential albums ever are overrated and not classics and that modern albums are better when in fact those modern albums wouldn't even be here were it not for those album the person calls overrated not classic.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2014 - 00:51
mz

I can understand someone hating likes of Death, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc but calling Black Sabbath overrated is beyond me tbh.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
28.08.2014 - 01:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 28.08.2014 at 00:51

... but calling Black Sabbath overrated is beyond me tbh.

No Black Sabbath not a single current metal band be here nowadays...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2014 - 22:11
afu

Derp!
29.08.2014 - 05:16
Diverge

Lol @ "interference from the website owners". Apparently Joe, Marcel and mz, etc. are all owners of Metal Storm now. How can I become an owner?
29.08.2014 - 10:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Diverge on 29.08.2014 at 05:16

Lol @ "interference from the website owners". Apparently Joe, Marcel and mz, etc. are all owners of Metal Storm now. How can I become an owner?

Posting too much, being considered an arsehole by half the MS population etc. Shares in MS have skyrocketed recently. Join the team, buy that yacht you always wanted.
29.08.2014 - 13:49
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Well, I agree with Master Of Puppets. The others here (at least the ones I've heard) I wouldn't call bad. I didn't know And Justice For All was liked enough to be called overrated?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.08.2014 - 14:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by M C Vice on 29.08.2014 at 13:49

I didn't know And Justice For All was liked enough to be called overrated?

Loads of people rave about it and even dare call it Metallica's best.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2014 - 03:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.08.2014 at 14:10

Written by M C Vice on 29.08.2014 at 13:49

I didn't know And Justice For All was liked enough to be called overrated?

Loads of people rave about it and even dare call it Metallica's best.

I've also seen plenty of bad stuff said about it. Like it's the start of their selling out or the bass is crap/non-existent.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.08.2014 - 16:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I'm somewhere in between Marcel and Ilham in regards to this list. Yeah, just because an album's "classic" doesn't mean it can't be overrated, but a bunch of albums you put on here (Maiden, Sabbath, and Death especially) were critical towards influencing the sounds and styles of metal bands for years to come. Sometimes you have to acknowledge the impact of the legends, whether you personally care for them or not.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.08.2014 - 17:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.08.2014 at 16:37
Sometimes you have to acknowledge the impact of the legends, whether you personally care for them or not.

Just because something is influential doesn't mean it's good. This list I think is more about the creator's personal opinion differing from the majority, not about overlooking the significance of the bands listed.

Or maybe it's about Obama. I'm still not entirely sure.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 7069 | This month: 31