Metal Storm logo
Lordi - Win Eurovision Contest 2006!!!

Hell yeah! If that is not a great victory for hard rock/metal, I don't know what is. No, you're not hallucinating, Finnish metal monsters Lordi won the formatted Eurovision contest (known for its sloppy poppish radio tunes) HANDS DOWN!

They were 44 points ahead Russia (the mullet singer) and gave a fresh new start to the oh-so-boring Eurovision stuff.

We wish to congratulate the winners from the depths of our hearts. LONG LIVE METAL

Source: deadsoulman in front of his tv
Band profile: Lordi
Event: Eurovision Song Contest
Posted: 21.05.2006 by Deadsoulman

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 69   Visited by: 16 users
21.05.2006 - 02:10
Muskot
Account deleted
Oh, please... When I heard Lordi where participating for Finland in Eurovision, I had the first real laugh in a very long time. But after giving it some thought, I figured that they would either win completely (glam metal fits with eurovision music (given the sing-along-friendly choruses et c) and many would probably vote just for the fun of it) or lose equally completely (since Lordi still is relatively metal and most voters are mainstreamers). The problem is that we will have to suffer metal stereotypes in the media for at least a year (a Swedish newspaper actually contained a copy of the Lordi lead singer's mask, just cut it out and glue onto some cardboard) and a wave of (mainly glam) metal in the Eurovision song contest. And that really isn't very good, since completely non-metal people will be considered metal and I will feel even more provoked by this mess.

Also, what the fudge was the guy in corpsepaint doing on stage? =P

And Norway gave 12 points to Lordi, which I find rather hilarious! xD

Cheers from a happy Swede, y'all!
21.05.2006 - 11:22
Destryphior

I'm not sure if i want to laugh or cry... If it isn't good it is at least history...
It's kind of funny that the first time Finland wins the contest it is with Lordi...
@Muskot, Lordi isn't glam metal it isn't metal at all it is Hard Rock....
Lordi was in for winning all the time and I almost expected it...
All I can say is All Heil Lordi!! Good job!
21.05.2006 - 11:48
Ivan
Retired Admin
Now that's a surprise. I wonder if Eurovision is on the way from crappy pop contest to slowly turning into a nice Europe-wide metal fest

Anyway, expect at least a couple of hard rocking acts on the next years contest. As they say, follow the winner hehe
21.05.2006 - 11:53
Jay
Perkele
HALLELUJAA!!

...and they said we'd find life on Mars before Finland won the Eurovision contest.

I'm interested to see what sort of contestants take part in the Eurovision next year, now that Lordi has proven that you don't have to perform a lame mainstream ballad...

...and 292 points is the all time record!

GO LORDI!!! GO FINLAND!!
----
This one goes to 11
21.05.2006 - 11:57
FallenAngel16
Account deleted
Well, compared to all those other countries, I found the performance was about fourth place (commercially speaking). Over all, the song was the best, but the performance was really bad. When they sung at the end it was way better, although the CD version is even better. It was quite a surprise to see them winning. I expected them to end up with ten points or so, but at least the best group won there Hope there'll be more music like this coming up in future song contests..that could make them a little more interesting
21.05.2006 - 12:40
HedgeWitch

I was sure, that they would be rated high. They showed something new, if not for the music they would be given high rates just because of looks, but...
I'm just so freaking happy :3 Mainly because Lordi is not so popular in our country
I don't know, if Polish metalheads saw them and voted for them, or if people send messages on them just for fun.
I'm glad, that this time didn't won a dance or pop song... That'd be just boring... Although I'm kinda sad, that Lithuania wasn't rated too high...
They showed a good sense of humour x3
----
-Have you got any healing spells?
-Yeah, Rise Dead on scroll

Iron Maiden is like wine... The older the better...
Click Meh!
21.05.2006 - 12:59
Immortalist
Knarrenheinz
FUCKING amazing! I thought that Lordi would actually have a chance of reaching the fifth or fourth place but I never saw this one coming... wow. It is so great that Finland finally won, and the best part is that they used rock music for winning! So bye-bye Jari Sillanpää and others who couldn't get through the first eliminations.

The funniest part is yet to come, for when the old folks of Finland start bitching about those monsters ruining their contest

It will be interesting to see if there will be more good artists next year, this was the first time I was excited because of the eurovisions and I would like it to go on that way.
21.05.2006 - 13:10
Vunts

The only songs that could in my eyes have beaten them were Bosnia Herzogovina and Belgium - didn't even get past the semis :/
Other than the 2 named countries, the songs generally sucked. Lithuania and Russia stuck to my head also. And since they stuck to my head, they do deserve praise.
I'm having mixed feelings about Lordi winning. Both of them were basically brought out by the first poster in this thread: I'm happy, but what next? Is Lordi's triumph going to change the face of the contest forever? What will happen to metal? (cos as far as mainstream noobs are concerned, Lordi probably was metal) Is the metal scene tainted? Was the win really such a good thing?
Atm i'm still happy for the Finnish that they took the right steps this year. If our commentator was speaking the truth, then the best place before Lordi was 7th about 3 decades ago, so i'm guessing half of Finland went crazy when Lordi was announced as the winners. Plus it was hilarious to see the singer with a...i think i wrote it wrong, let's just say "flowers" All my doubts aside, i'm enjoying the victory for now. What comes later will be there...later, what's now is happening at the moment. Gotta appreciate that more!
21.05.2006 - 13:10
Dark Kingdom
Account deleted
Well done Lordi!!!Finland took a huge risk to send a hard rock/metal band to a pop song contest.However,they won!They prooved that people like hard rock/metal music.People wanted to see something different at the Eurovision song contest.Every year it was a lame pop song that won.At the press conference,Lordi said that even themselves couldn't believe that they won a pop song contest.They said they were feeling very weird and very happy at the same time!I'm also proud that people here in Greece gave Lordi 12 points.It's so nice to know that the place is full of crazy metalheads!!!
21.05.2006 - 13:16
Graveshift

they were the most deserving to win by far in my opinion and i was exstatic to see them come first ... HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH
seriously well done to them all...
----
"We are the sons of a new millenium!!"
21.05.2006 - 13:19
don Bastardo

Lordi isn´t actually my favourite band but still it was very first time i´ve ever voted for some band in eurovision contest...Hail Finland...Respect!!!
----
Save the trees - wipe your butt with an owl.
21.05.2006 - 14:30
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Ivan on 21.05.2006 at 11:48

Now that's a surprise. I wonder if Eurovision is on the way from crappy pop contest to slowly turning into a nice Europe-wide metal fest

Anyway, expect at least a couple of hard rocking acts on the next years contest. As they say, follow the winner hehe

Well I did notice that it made the 'Current Events' list here on Metal Storm
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
21.05.2006 - 14:59
Kurzag
Account deleted
Its nice to see that a hard rock band is winning the Eurovision.
Congrats Finland!
21.05.2006 - 15:31
MH

Goddamn incredible! Lordi for teh win..!
21.05.2006 - 15:32
matthioso

woohoo!!!
all wright Lordi! congratulations Finland!

what is this? a scream for more...?
----
www.seedofrock.be
21.05.2006 - 16:01
mastero87

yeeaah, from now on eurovision contest will be a metal fest
next year winners will be Carpathian Forest, lol

p.s.: consider, that Lordi didn't win just because of their music but with the show on the stage (horror-monster masks, wings on Mr. Lordi's back, pyrotechnics)
Hail Lordi!!!
21.05.2006 - 16:01
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
i was 100% sure that Lordi will win, and then i bett on them and i won few euros, enough
song rocked, Congrats to LORDI

and btw i msut say that bosnia finished 3rd behind finns and russia
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
21.05.2006 - 16:15
Tron

I knew it from the very beginning! LORDI ARE THE MASTERS!
----
After each game, the king and the jester go in the same box.
21.05.2006 - 16:17
GT
Coffee!!
Hell yeah! Finally a desent band in that contest and then they won. That's just great. I voted for them and so did a lot of my non-metal friends. Only one thing to say: Finland rocks
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.05.2006 - 16:41
Stigmatized
It will get their name out there, I saw this on the Yahoo home pagem, first spot on the news.
21.05.2006 - 17:14
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I expect many questions at school tomorrow since I had told people I knew them ("knew" is a big word, I knew their name thx to MS ). That's great they won but I think it'll also feed the stereotype that we metalheads are freaks. I guess I'll also be asked whether I sometimes wear such costumes :

Anyway it must have been quite funny to watch!
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
21.05.2006 - 17:20
Metalforos666

Lordi gave meaninf to this monotonous contest
Hail to Lordi
Hail to Hrad-Rock / Heavy Metal
----
www.myspace.com/metalforos
21.05.2006 - 17:21
James_Death
Account deleted
Fucking awesome!!!I watched the whole thing with my girlfriend and we got very excited when they won.We also voted for them!!!
21.05.2006 - 17:21
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
i want to cry it s to beautiful...first time we re able to see that kind of event, for the eurovision ( i thought there were only granddads who looked that...)i wanted to see the face of some people...
21.05.2006 - 17:31
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
It's the end of the civilised world

That is the fIrst (and probably last) time I have ever voted for eurovision.

It was worth it though.
Uk gave them 12 points.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
21.05.2006 - 17:51
Baz Anderson

yayyyyyyy.
i watched it all last night and we voted for Lordi too - they got a nice big 12 from us here in the UK!
for some reason i knew they were going to win
21.05.2006 - 17:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
They made me actually watch some parts.. I liked it..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.05.2006 - 18:01
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
HAIL LORDI..!
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
21.05.2006 - 18:27
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
xD http://www.deadsoulmaninfrontofhistv xD xD xD
21.05.2006 - 18:59
Pillow

nice

But I'm french and I am ashamed of my tv presenters who have criticized and vomited all length on them, same while they sang.
(my english is very bad sorry...)

Hits total: 3608 | This month: 11