Metal Storm logo
Lordi - Win Eurovision Contest 2006!!!

Hell yeah! If that is not a great victory for hard rock/metal, I don't know what is. No, you're not hallucinating, Finnish metal monsters Lordi won the formatted Eurovision contest (known for its sloppy poppish radio tunes) HANDS DOWN!

They were 44 points ahead Russia (the mullet singer) and gave a fresh new start to the oh-so-boring Eurovision stuff.

We wish to congratulate the winners from the depths of our hearts. LONG LIVE METAL

Source: deadsoulman in front of his tv
Band profile: Lordi
Event: Eurovision Song Contest
Posted: 21.05.2006 by Deadsoulman

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 69   Visited by: 16 users
21.05.2006 - 19:00
Conemetal
Written by Vunts on 21.05.2006 at 13:10

I'm having mixed feelings about Lordi winning. Both of them were basically brought out by the first poster in this thread: I'm happy, but what next? Is Lordi's triumph going to change the face of the contest forever? What will happen to metal? (cos as far as mainstream noobs are concerned, Lordi probably was metal) Is the metal scene tainted? Was the win really such a good thing?
Atm i'm still happy for the Finnish that they took the right steps this year.

This must be considered seriously, you are right!!!!. I'm so far from Eurovision..... but I saw the show through "Televisión Española" thanks to the "XXI Century comunications magic". I'm happy about a "hard rock winning" but I didn't like the song a lot.
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
21.05.2006 - 19:10
SteelBlaze
Account deleted
HELL YEAH! Lordi kickd their ass...It's mor than Finland's victory...it's mine...yours and every metal/rock fan's victory...Good job!
I'm from Romania and the guy that represented our country SUUUUUCKKKEEEDDDD!!! BIG TIME!!!!! Ha ha ha! Thanks to Lordi for KICKING HIS ASSSS!!!
21.05.2006 - 19:16
Unholy_Emperor
I didn't like the song either, but better Lordi than any other band in eurovision.
21.05.2006 - 19:19
X-FrEaK
eheh i cant stop laughing LOL

i heard my parents " THEY WON? THEY ARE SATANICS!" LOLOL i cant stop LOLOL but its great ^^

next year Moonspell are going to represent Portugal and we are gonna break it all PPPPPPPPPPP
----
21.05.2006 - 19:29
Alkhemyst
Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 02:10

Also, what the fudge was the guy in corpsepaint doing on stage? =P

He was Pasi Rantanen of Finnish power metal band Thunderstone as backing vocalist. That corpsepaint was probably more like Kiss mask. If you saw those papers members of Lordi were holding, there was written "Kiss Army Finland" to Pasi´s paper.
----
Those words we have got
From the North´s furthest fields
From the heaths of Kalevala
21.05.2006 - 19:40
__Az__
ha ha, I saw it.. Brilliant show... They were hilarious...
21.05.2006 - 19:41
Winchester87
Account deleted
LOL That was frikkin' surprising! I can see those pathetic pop people get slapped in their faces lol.

Next year Finland might send Stratovarius ROFL

but I think the show won't go less pop and more metal hard rock should be more accepted though
21.05.2006 - 20:03
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
elite
For those who aren't in europe or don't know Lordi yet you can see the winning performance here http://rapidshare.de/files/20963811/adsl_TV_2006-05-20_22-16-02_France_3_national.mpg (75mb)
I have never really cared for eurovision song contest, probably cos we've always sent some crappy artists and never had any chances but this year of course it was all different and i gotta admit, it felt great to be finnish last night! Congrats Lordi!
My personal favourite was Bosnia-herzegovina's song but the russian mullet dude was awful, i don't understand how he was 2nd.. I'm looking forward next years contest, although i'm not sure if there's gonna be any rock/metal acts, it might work once, next year it's old joke already. Nonetheless if i'd get to choose Finntroll or Korpiklaani would represent Finland next year
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
21.05.2006 - 20:04
Walter Iego
Author
elite
Them winning was a big slap in the face of ESC, let's hope the get some better songs next year or us metalheads will win every time! Cheers!
21.05.2006 - 20:12
metalforos
Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lordi kicked their asses!!!
They were great. I love the them. My neck almost cut off from the unstoppable headbanging we were doing. I heard the song almost 1000 times
Go Lordi Go
"Rock 'n roll angels bring that Hard Rock Hallelujah..."
I know i am over-reacting a little but hey, this is a historical moment...:beer:
----
Stay All Heavy...!!
21.05.2006 - 20:13
Damnated
Churchburner
I'm just happy, cuz they won in the face of all those 'talents'
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.05.2006 - 20:55
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
I must admit I'm in no way surprised to see that Lordi were winning. After all they managed to mobilize an entire sub-culture to watch the Eurovision and participate in the voting. And of course that sub-culture wasn't all that fond of the other pop songs, so in fact Lordi had the entire metal scene standing behind them. We even had "We vote for Lordi" parties all over Germany.

I'm also quite satisfied with Lithuania making #6. I would've been happier with them ranking higher, after all they were the only act who received the horns by me, but you can't have everything

Other favs of myself were Ukraine (OMG, that smile!!) and Denmark. And the biggest crap I've ever seen gotta be Iceland, which didn't make into the finals and absolutely deservedly so. Andorra, Croatia and Switzerland were atrocious as well.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
21.05.2006 - 20:57
Dark Kingdom
Account deleted
Since the next Eurovision contest is going to be held in Finland,I suggest that every European country sends one of their best metal bands they got! For example:[Helloween (Germany), Hammerfall (Sweden), Satyricon (Norway), King Diamond (Denmark), Stratovarius or Nightwish (Finland) etc,etc,etc.It's going to be a F***ING AWESOME ROCK WAVE FESTIVAL!!!!!
21.05.2006 - 21:20
vladimir nullus
Account deleted
It is just wonderful. Something not mainstream enters and it wins!!!
21.05.2006 - 21:33
dancingdecember
for the first time of my life i voted for something:)i was sure that lordi would win.i was expecting higher point from here but most of my friends and my mom bitched about the voting price anyway im very happy with this.7 points from turkey!!
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
21.05.2006 - 21:36
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 20:57

Since the next Eurovision contest is going to be held in Finland,I suggest that every European country sends one of their best metal bands they got! For example:[Helloween (Germany), Hammerfall (Sweden), Satyricon (Norway), King Diamond (Denmark), Stratovarius or Nightwish (Finland) etc,etc,etc.It's going to be a F***ING AWESOME ROCK WAVE FESTIVAL!!!!!

If this turns into a metal fest, they'll have to change the rules of the contest. Currently it is a rule that only the vocals must be live and nothing else. But it'll take some more years with contests filled with participants that rely on heavy instrumentation, until the EBU realizes that instrumental live performance will need to be treated the same way as vocal performance. And seriously, I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if we (Germany) send Rammstein into the race next year.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
21.05.2006 - 22:05
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Promonex on 21.05.2006 at 21:36

Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 20:57

(...) EBU realizes that instrumental live performance will need to be treated the same way as vocal performance. And seriously, I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if we (Germany) send Rammstein into the race next year.

Imagine:
Armenia - System Of A Down
Belgium - Ancient Rites
Czech Republic - !T.O.O.H!
Denmark - King Diamond
Finland - Sonata Arctica
France - Anorexia Nervosa / Manigance
Germany - Blind Guardian
Greece - Rotting Christ
Italy - Lacuna Coil
Netherlands - Epica
Norway - Satyricon
Poland - Vader
Romania - Magica
Russia - Aria
Spain - Saratoga
Sweden - Hammerfall / Dark Tranquillity
Turkey - Mezarkabul
United Kingdom - Iron f***ing Maiden

I would record that Eurovision in a tape - including the Semi-Finals . I hope all of Europe will notice the Finnish success and start to send rock bands to the ESC!

Spain gave 10 points to Finland by the way, our 12 points were for Romania (as we did last year).
21.05.2006 - 22:16
Zeleznk
finally something original and fresh in the eurovision contest! too bad I missed it...
----
()...()
:0,,0:
21.05.2006 - 22:43
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Can't believe I forgot about this! Congratulations Finland
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
22.05.2006 - 01:23
dark_pink
Account deleted
Well ... I'm glad that something different happened in this year's Eurovision contest , only wish to see the other participant's reactions when Lordi won )) . Still I don't know if I should be happy or on contrary. The song ...I could consider it a nice one...even if I can't call it great, fantastic, etc but the "Halloween" costumes were childish and silly , maybe it would have been better if they were more scary , more frightening ...I mean even my 10 year old cousin liked them :| (wtf?) ... Eh I have a feeling that this year will be a difficult one for true metalheads...
22.05.2006 - 06:54
Sunioj
Hey its Eurovision, I dont like Lordi but then again, Eurovision isnt going to allow a band like Catamenia, Impaled Nazarene, Sonata Artica or probably even COB to play, it just wouldnt suite...

Congrats to Finland
22.05.2006 - 10:48
decapitator
i wasnt suprised one bit... all the other countries were singing the same crap.. they all had similar songs... the reason why lordi one... in my opinion was because they were so much different than the other countries...

way to go finland
22.05.2006 - 12:19
IceWeasy
Account deleted
gratz Finland!
22.05.2006 - 12:35
Ironhoof_ox
Account deleted
I agree. This could be a new age for heavy metal, it might sound weird but there is a possibility. It is an opportunity for some ****** to realise that heavy metal is a special kind of music and deserves a little more. Here in Greece we have the more fanatic metal audience in Southern Europe. That's why we gave a 12 and imagine that we don't have a heavy metal radio station! I hope after this event something will happen.
Congratulations Finland!:beer:
22.05.2006 - 15:15
Mariusz
Account deleted
I am very glad that Lordi won Eurovision conttest. I was always with them and I was sure that the world will finaly hear about them. And now it's true. All the best to LORDI!!!
22.05.2006 - 16:19
NortheRnmost
Hell Yeah! It was about time Finland had success in Eurovision... and when we did it, we did it good! The first time I didn't feel embarrassed while watching the contest. The show was simply the best. Thanks Lordi!!

And to those hardcore metallists... don't take Lordi too seriously. Yes, the music is very stereotypical 80's glam rock (in a good sense), but the band is also about havin' fun, and that's the most important thing in Lordi. A big victory for hard rock nonetheless.
22.05.2006 - 17:10
Anni
Account deleted
I am very glad that Lordi won Eurovision conttest. Congrats to Finland!
22.05.2006 - 18:52
AzAzel
Account deleted
All Hail !!! Finland !!! Land Of Metal !!! The prophecy has begun... lol
22.05.2006 - 22:44
lusitanian
i don't like eurovison and i'am fucking of for mainstream music thats why i am surprised whem a friend of mine told me thar a metal band had won the eurovsion contest......i think that a metal band shoudn't apear in a contest like that...i havn't llisten a single song of lordi but i lost the will of listen lordi just becouse of that... there ar so many bands becoming comercial shit i am disapointed...mainstreamers usualy hate metal despite knowing nothing about metal...for sure whem they listen lordi what have they think? is this music? who listen this kind os shit? good metal bands are complitly underground...
23.05.2006 - 03:50
Lenore
Account deleted
I actually saw almost the whole thing at a party this year. Normally I don't like Lordi very much but among those other songs it sounded like the best music ever.

Finland winning with Lordi is in any case better than the swedish contestant, a christian fundamentalist woman far more scary than any monster, winning. And it was fun hearing all the swedish Eurovision "experts" trying to explain it.

Hits total: 3625 | This month: 12