Metal Storm logo
King Diamond

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 04.02.2007 - 14:35
i've only recently discovered his work with his self-titled band, and i gotta tell you: THEY FUCKING OWN!!
and every single time that some band comes here of which i haven't heard any songs, the case with nightwish and king diamond, i download their stuff and get COMPLETELY hooked up on them.
his high pitched shrieks aren't exactly halford impersonations but he definetely has unbelievably evil voices. not to mention the "funeral" track from "abigail", where the man reciting it(king himself?) sounds 100% gollum.
now i'm desperately waiting another show from him, as i understand he is a god onstage.
10.07.2008 - 03:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I find that Them is arguably King Diamond's best release...what song would that be pyroleprechaun?
10.07.2008 - 04:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The Invisible Guests. There used to be a badass live video of that song from 2005 where he was still able to hit the high notes perfectly. He also did some creepy shit with a wheelchair.

GO BACK TO SLEEP, MY DEAR <--- savage
10.07.2008 - 09:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dangerboner on 10.07.2008 at 04:08

The Invisible Guests. There used to be a badass live video of that song from 2005 where he was still able to hit the high notes perfectly. He also did some creepy shit with a wheelchair.

GO BACK TO SLEEP, MY DEAR <--- savage

nah, i still like GRAAANDMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WEEELCOMEE HOOOOOMEEEEEE better.

damn, this guy's losing his voice too same like Halford, though Halford is so resilient it's unbelievable.
11.07.2008 - 07:59
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
That one lyric really got me into Diamond's falsetto vocal madness...yeah, you can really tell on his new album that he's losing the control on his vocal cords...
17.07.2008 - 15:49
Antidote

Guys guys....he's voice is ok, believe me. I have seen him three times on stage....last time in 2006 - and his voice is as high as the eiffel tower, nothing has changed!
On recent albums he just uses falsetto less, because it suits better to the stories.
17.07.2008 - 16:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 11.07.2008 at 07:59

That one lyric really got me into Diamond's falsetto vocal madness...yeah, you can really tell on his new album that he's losing the control on his vocal cords...

yeah, have you seen Clerks 2? there's a pretty hilarious bit with this song in the background, with Jay and Silent Bob lyp-synching the lyrics while a horrified 19 year old "mama's boy" covers his ears
18.07.2008 - 02:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I haven't seen that movie yet but if that's in it I will
18.07.2008 - 03:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It's in the first Clerks movie as well, right?
20.07.2008 - 12:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dangerboner on 18.07.2008 at 03:07

It's in the first Clerks movie as well, right?

i don't know really, haven't seen it. but i don't think so since it has such a low budget(27 000 $) so they probably couldn't afford paying copyrights/whatever.
06.10.2008 - 00:19
Timelord

I was lucky enough to be able to roadie for King Diamond for one show in Fort Walton,FL. It was on the Abigail tour and Trouble was the opening act. I have to say that Fatal Portrait,Abigail and Conspiracy are the cream of the crop from King Diamond. Abigail is such an amazing album. Ever since Conspiracy it has all gone downhill from there. Last record I bought was The Eye which was so so. He has always had top notch musicians in his band. Mainstay guitarist Andy Laroque is amazing. He tried to recapture the Abigail glory with Abigail 2:The Revenge but it fell flat. I went to see Mercyful Fate in New Orleans once and they cancelled the show because the PA wasn't up to their standards. I talked with the lead singer from Cathederal and he said they had cancelled most of the shows because of that very same reason. They were pissed because they were losing money every night by having to refund all the tickets. Cathedral played anyway and it sounded great. I don't know why MF thought the PA sucked. They should have used their own equipment if that was the case. Me and some friends tracked down the tour bus and found MF going into the hotel and I asked for a t-shirt for my troubles of traveling to this cancelled show lol. Never got it. Was not a pleasant expierence.
20.11.2008 - 11:25
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
I like this a lot more than mercyful fate but anywhay both bands are amazing king diamon is a legend its rare that he is so unknown in america ..
----
Stay Metal !!!
21.11.2008 - 11:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
In a few minutes i'm gonna watch a live recording from montreal... gonna be back to talk about it soon
21.11.2008 - 12:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Damn, it wasn't a full concert. stopped halfway through "So Sad", but that guy is the king of the stage. he is bar none the best showman in metal music, way above even Halford or Ozzy, both of which are fucking awesome.
27.11.2008 - 03:53
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I can't wait for King Diamond to heal completely and go on tour again. Its a shame that the original US. tour with Kreator was canceled because of his back Problems. Back problems are no joke though and its a good idea that he canceled the tour.

On another note. I can really tell that he's getting older because his vocals on the new album focus more on his flat vocals and less on his awesome baritone voice. I hope he can do that stuff live though.
----
Coldgrits
27.11.2009 - 17:18
SatyriconChick

I've only seen King with Mercyful Fate, twice in the 90s. Would love to see King Diamond play here as well! I love their stuff. Abigail is my favorite.
28.11.2009 - 03:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I almost saw King Diamond last year but...the whole hip thing I think it was...
28.10.2010 - 07:30
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I sold my copy of "Them" about 15 years ago...anyone have one I can "borrow"
----
rekt
13.02.2011 - 03:52
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'm only familiar with his album Abigail and Fate's album Don't Break the Oath, but their both great. I will say that I don't think that the King is the best falsetto vocalist- Mile Sanders of Toxik can hit notes pretty damn close to Diamond's, with a lot more power. Not that Diamond is bad by any means.
19.02.2011 - 16:59
marouco

Until Abigail it was great after that I lost his trail...bought abigail II, liked it but it's not the same.
Saw king once in Madrid and loved it.
26.12.2011 - 21:50
king_matt

Much better than Mercyful Fate imo, and one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Abigail is a masterpiece. A MASTERPIECE.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
26.12.2011 - 22:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I just found this awesome cover by some guys at Roadrunner Records: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AA1g_TM2Ik with who else but Ripper on vocals... all I can say is that they nail it, incredibly tight performance and those screams are sick.

Aaand an awesome video of Welcome Home from 2006 with great audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dab9X0PALg4&feature=related
27.12.2011 - 04:29
NLthrasher

Written by Valentin B on 26.12.2011 at 22:36

I just found this awesome cover by some guys at Roadrunner Records: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AA1g_TM2Ik with who else but Ripper on vocals... all I can say is that they nail it, incredibly tight performance and those screams are sick.

Aaand an awesome video of Welcome Home from 2006 with great audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dab9X0PALg4&feature=related

Ripper Owens really nails it there, thought he sings it really different than the king. King sings it with a lot more atmoshpere and more emotional, Owens sings it with more power and more agressive. I like both versions though as owens and king are both one of my favourite artists.
It would be goddamn funny to see a Rush cover of this song haha.
27.12.2011 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Aklthough Ripper manages the high shrieks he sings it way too technical and almost lacking of all emotion and atmosphere.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.12.2011 - 08:36
bran

Love king diamond i like mercyful fate a hair more though
kings vocals are changing but he still has an awesome voice age eventually catches up to us all lol
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
29.12.2011 - 18:11
NLthrasher

Written by -DC-002- on 27.11.2008 at 03:53

On another note. I can really tell that he's getting older because his vocals on the new album focus more on his flat vocals and less on his awesome baritone voice. I hope he can do that stuff live though.

I heard in a interview on the king diamond forum that since the surgery he feels 15 years younger and that now is capable to hit the high notes better than 15 years ago. He also mentioned that he was experimentating with lower voices on the GMYSP album and that he now wants to prove that he can still hit the high notes. The next album will be focusing on the high vocals again. I hope this clears everything a bit up

King Diamond is also buisy getting his merchandise up and running again since there is no real place to get official King Diamond or Mercyful Fate merchandise, it will also feature some cool new merchandise.
05.01.2012 - 17:43
sangre

Written by NLthrasher on 29.12.2011 at 18:11

Written by -DC-002- on 27.11.2008 at 03:53

I heard in a interview on the king diamond forum that since the surgery he feels 15 years younger and that now is capable to hit the high notes better than 15 years ago. He also mentioned that he was experimentating with lower voices on the GMYSP album and that he now wants to prove that he can still hit the high notes. The next album will be focusing on the high vocals again. I hope this clears everything a bit up

King Diamond is also buisy getting his merchandise up and running again since there is no real place to get official King Diamond or Mercyful Fate merchandise, it will also feature some cool new merchandise.

That's great news. I also heard he is going to put out live MF "video" material. like Dio, the King has always been about the fans. He knows we crave merch and tours.
05.01.2012 - 18:26
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 17.07.2008 at 16:12

Written by Guest on 11.07.2008 at 07:59

yeah, have you seen Clerks 2? there's a pretty hilarious bit with this song in the background, with Jay and Silent Bob lyp-synching the lyrics while a horrified 19 year old "mama's boy" covers his ears

Hell yeah one of best scenes in the movie.