02. The Chalice & The Blade
03. Seer Of Circassia
04. White Hart
05. May 22, 1453
06. The Adversary
07. Fememorde
08. Valediction
09. Scimitar

Well, this is all very nice, but Ides'...Guys/girls...You've still got half an album to write...

It's always depressing to find bands like this: They do one thing really, really well, and show proficiency in many other areas, but choose to drop them in favor of the thing they do best. Ides Of Gemini are sort of this post-metal/doom outfit with a heavy emphasis on some supremely haunting vocals. Picture the vocals of The Devil's Blood's Farida Lamouchi, slowed down, stretched out and put at a distance to achieve the ideal forlorn sound I imagine they were going for. The vocals are really quite remarkable. Ides Of Gemini seem to realize this...and exploit it a little too much.

Let's rephrase that; they exploit it more than their other skills, quite noticeably. Don't get me wrong, there's no problem with playing to your strengths. It's when you ditch other strengths to support it. Old World New Wave boasts its fair share of cold, moving post-metal & doom riffage. Unfortunately, for each minute of great guitarwork, there's four or five that are just aimless, samey repetitions that seem to exist solely for the purpose of supporting the vocals.

In the end, it's all about the final product. Sure, the vocals completely carry this album, that much is painfully clear. However, despite the obvious lackadaisical effort in basically every other aspect, they achieved the goal of creating a distant, haunting, melancholy piece of music. Unfortunately the inequity in elements frequently overtakes the ambiance.

For those of you who want the TL;DR version: Old World New Wave is all amazing atmosphere and aura, but lacking in substance.

Written on 05.09.2014 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 90 users
05.09.2014 - 17:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Judging by your description, I think I might like this. Besides, I'm a Gemini

Seriously though, I've heard good things about this band and now is a good time to check them out.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.09.2014 - 17:11
Rating: 6
Draugen

I got the same feeling about their debut but I'm still willing to give this a spin or two. I much preferred the vocalists previous band, Black Math Horseman, which had a more prevalent doomy vibe to it.
05.09.2014 - 18:08
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2014 at 17:04

Judging by your description, I think I might like this. Besides, I'm a Gemini

I'm a Gemini as well, and aside from this I did listen 2 years ago to their debut and I was pretty impressed. Hope this won't disappoint. I don't really take reviews seriously until I actually listen the product. There were too many times when I did and I got busted.
05.09.2014 - 18:27
PocketMetal

Yeah the review sounds like something for me as well, I also loved their previous album.
05.09.2014 - 18:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 05.09.2014 at 18:08

I'm a Gemini as well, and aside from this I did listen 2 years ago to their debut and I was pretty impressed. Hope this won't disappoint. I don't really take reviews seriously until I actually listen the product. There were too many times when I did and I got busted.

You must be a difficult person then! Ahah I listened to a track and like it. We'll see.

Reviews are good to give you a perspective on the album but it doesn't always coincide with what you take from it yourself, of course.
----

My Instagram
05.09.2014 - 19:22
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2014 at 18:59

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 05.09.2014 at 18:08

You must be a difficult person then! Ahah I listened to a track and like it. We'll see.

Reviews are good to give you a perspective on the album but it doesn't always coincide with what you take from it yourself, of course.

I usually read reviews after I listen to the said album. Lets just say that 60% of times I agree with them. It happened often, especially in the past 5 years when I just completely disagreed with many reviews. Not so much in the past as I am a sucker for classics.

As for me being difficult... in some areas maybe, most of the time I am flexible and friendly. I am the 'doesn't give a fuck' type mostly though.
17.09.2014 - 16:17
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I kind of agree with the review. Constantinople had more variation and the songs stuck right in your head. This new one adds a little bit of heaviness, but kind of end up being very derivative. Actually the songs are very short, which contributes to the awkwardness of why the songs are so derivative. If you look for simple emotive songs, IoG is for you. I still prefer Constantinople.
17.09.2014 - 16:27
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by BloodTears on 05.09.2014 at 17:04

Besides, I'm a Gemini

Hehe this may sound irrelevant to this review but I can't keep me from saying it, you may like to check out Goodbye Gemini by Blood Ceremony
----
The Fangirl.
17.09.2014 - 16:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Quote:
Written by angel. on 17.09.2014 at 16:27

Hehe this may sound irrelevant to this review but I can't keep me from saying it, you may like to check out Goodbye Gemini by Blood Ceremony

Ahah well, I know this song Isn't it from their last album The Eldritch Dark? I remember. I listened to two albums from them I think. Good band. Tks for the suggestion though!
----

My Instagram

Hits total: 3739 | This month: 10