04. Turned To Dust
05. Lost In Your Memory
06. Autumn Red
07. The Mystery Show
08. Siren Sky
09. I Wish I Could [digipack, vinyl, and download bonus]
10. Lost In Your Memory [acoustic version][vinyl and download bonus]

"Did you find what you're looking for?"

Opening with that question from the first track "Watchtower On The Moon", most fans familiar with Threshold's consistency over the years know exactly what to expect. Throughout the lineup changes, especially in the last decade, they have churned out solid albums reaching what I believe to be their highest point with "March of Progress" in 2012. The return and proper utilization of Damian Wilson's vocal talents, coupled with exceptional songwriting, spelled out a formula for success. Two years later, not much has changed.

All the components remain: catchy melodies, driving riffs and grooves, metal/ballad dynamics, complimentary keyboards. The most unusual thing about this album is it's length. Depending on your version of the album, you may be surprised at how quickly it's over. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the more focused effort is rewarding. The album flows seamlessly from track to track and works well for repeat listens.

The biggest and most predictable complaint is obviously going to be the continuation of the formula. Non-fans will be bored and write it off as another standard prog metal release. I would recommending giving it a chance on the basis of Damian's brilliant voice, who has been one of my favorites since hearing Ayreon's Into The Electric Castle. Highlights: "The Box", "Siren Sky"

"By clichés I'm paralyzed"

Written on 30.09.2014 by Intermittent reviewer, full-time listener.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 180 users
30.09.2014 - 10:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good to see Mr Totemic Lust reviewing albums.

I think he used to available only on forums, right?!. For this album, I'll check it out not putting my heart in it's because I always get disappointed with Prog metal records.
30.09.2014 - 11:01
bodomdragon

While not being a bad album at all, it's lightyears away from the quality of March of Progress.
30.09.2014 - 11:27
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Sadly, this feels lackluster after March Of Progress, which was so much better.

I think it is more of a "safe" album, sticking to what you know sort of thing. It's good but by Threshold standards, it's also lacking.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.09.2014 - 16:00
Rating: 9
BlankFile

Really good release. Honestly i think it´s even better than March of Progress, altough i recognize that´s somehow a little bit dangerous to say. After repeat listenings its keeps getting better and better. "The Box", "Siren Sky", "Autumn Red" are for me the highlights, but every song on this album is very good.
02.10.2014 - 00:01
Darrek

I will probably need to think if I should buy or not the album, until then...
11.10.2014 - 06:40
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by BlankFile on 30.09.2014 at 16:00

Really good release. Honestly i think it´s even better than March of Progress, altough i recognize that´s somehow a little bit dangerous to say. After repeat listenings its keeps getting better and better. "The Box", "Siren Sky", "Autumn Red" are for me the highlights, but every song in this album is very good.

I don't think it's dangerous to say at all. It is a very solid release, but it depends on what you are looking for. The bar was set VERY high with "March" but some fans desired a more concise effort. MoP was harder to swallow, but once it went down, it was brilliant. This is a much more straight-forward release in the same vein. I think this is just as good, but it depends on the perspective of the overshadowing albums you put it in.

Hits total: 5006 | This month: 17