Metal Storm logo
Enslaved - Enter Studio To Record 13th Album

Earlier this year, Enslaved began working on their next album after they released RIITIIR back in 2012. The thirteenth studio installment by the Norway's progressive extreme metallers is now underway as the recording process has started. What do you expect from the new album?

From his home in Bergen, Norway, Enslaved guitarist, songwriter, and founding member Ivar Bjørnson takes some time to give the following update: "My favorite time of year is whenever we enter the studio with Enslaved to record a new album. Now the season of creative madness, endless days, and bleeding fingertips is upon us again... O joy! As before, it is the unholy trinity that forms the first line of attack: I (guitar), Grutle (Kjellson, bass & vocals), and Cato (Bekkevold, drums), are recording the foundations of the album live, while Ice Dale (lead guitar) and Herbrand (Larsen, vocals & keys) will add their instruments and voice in their own studios after these initial core sessions. Then I will add some wackiness at my home studio, before we all get together again to finish it.

"I feel that I have delivered basic material that is rock solid. I have poured my very life and heart into these compositions while the rest of the band have refined it, shaped it, and delivered it like their very lives depended on it. It has been challenging to keep up the pace with the way the songs wanted to go; life flows its ways and takes its turns regardless of your artistic ambitions. However, the music led the way through the fog and I just followed, and never doubting the oncoming album for a second."

Courtesy of the label

In terms of details, the main recordings for the as-yet-untitled new album are taking place at Duper and Solslottet Studios in Bergen, Norway with additional recordings done at Conclave & Earshot Studios (presided over by Enslaved members Larsen and Ice Dale), and Ivar Bjørnson's Peersonal Sound Studios. Additional experimentation and sonic exploration will be conducted deep in the woods of Valevåg south of Bergen where the band took a mobile studio to record the Thorn 7" single in 2012.

The album will be produced by band members Ivar Bjørnson, Grutle Kjellson & Herbrand Larsen together with Iver Sandøy. Mixing will be done by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios in Örebro, Sweden. And the cover artwork will once again be illustrated by long-time collaborating artist and "sixth Enslaved member" Truls Espedal, who has painted all album covers since 2001's Monumension.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Enslaved
Posted: 30.09.2014 by Clintagräm

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 27   Visited by: 186 users
30.09.2014 - 12:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Sounds like we might get new stuff for their Roadburn set. Coooooool.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.09.2014 - 12:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Kinda hoping they surprise us all and put out something wacky like Monumension.
30.09.2014 - 13:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good.
30.09.2014 - 13:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Hoping for a 2015 release, that would be sweet.
30.09.2014 - 13:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.09.2014 at 12:25

Sounds like we might get new stuff for their Roadburn set. Coooooool.

My thoughts exactly
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.09.2014 - 13:44
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Great news and something to really look forward to. Such a talented band, I love all their albums that I've got.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
30.09.2014 - 14:01
Zap
I'm looking forward to this no matter what they do, all their albums are interesting. One of the most consistent metal bands around.
30.09.2014 - 14:14
mz
I'm sure this will rock as these guys are one of the most consistent bands ever.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
30.09.2014 - 14:32
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I'm with mz on this. Easily one of the most consistent bands. Hopefully they throw something in the mix to change things up a bit, but I'm sure I'll be satisfied with whatever they do (probably).
30.09.2014 - 16:57
Great news! I wonder what's going on with the new DVD they announced in 2012, though? It was supposed to be a double set covering all their albums. I'd love to see that finally get released.
30.09.2014 - 17:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Stoked. Like everyone said, I'll take whatever, even if it's just progressive rock.
30.09.2014 - 18:09
JayMo4
No doubt it'll be very good. Can't remember the last time they've let me down.
30.09.2014 - 18:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Waiting patiently and with excitement.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
30.09.2014 - 18:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by JayMo4 on 30.09.2014 at 18:09

Can't remember the last time they've let me down.

Exactly. Monstrous discography Enslaved have(well, everyone knows).

But, I was letdown by 2006 release Ruun which wasn't up-to the mark after back-to-back three incredible albums(Below The Lights, Isa and Monumension).
30.09.2014 - 19:09
Fradd
Account deleted
Yay
30.09.2014 - 20:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 30.09.2014 at 18:49

Written by JayMo4 on 30.09.2014 at 18:09

But, I was letdown by 2006 release Ruun which wasn't up-to the mark after back-to-back three incredible albums(Below The Lights, Isa and Monumension).

Ruun and Vertebrae are often overlooked for what came before (Isa) and after (Axioma Ethica Odini) but I thought they were just as good. Enslaved is utterly brilliant and I think they've been consistent for a long, long time and I expect them to keep it up. I loved RIITIIR and expect nothing less from their next album.
----
The force will be with you, always.
30.09.2014 - 20:47
Just quality, whether it's Isa, Essensce, Lightening, Roots of the Mountain. Enslaved make me smile and feel engrossed in their world at the same time. Can't wait.
30.09.2014 - 21:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
While I do think Enslaved are consistent I do think they have a propensity for somewhat boring albums every now and then (Runn, Vertebrae and RIITIIR). When they get the balance just right though (Monumension, Isa and AEO) it's pretty spectacular. They seem to be due a great one.
30.09.2014 - 21:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Quote:
Written by Clintagräm on 30.09.2014 at 20:38

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 30.09.2014 at 18:49

[quote author=15e=2014-09-30 18:09:22]

Ruun and Vertebrae are often overlooked for what came before (Isa) and after (Axioma Ethica Odini) but I thought they were just as good. Enslaved is utterly brilliant and I think they've been consistent for a long, long time and I expect them to keep it up. I loved RIITIIR and expect nothing less from their next album.

Ruun was overlooked?

Oh, no. It is not and why would anyone ignore Ruun after such three spectacular records?! People were as excited as when "Isa" dropped post-Below The Lights. Not only it gone to make such an incredible album in itself but reflected the pure geniuses of "Below The Lights"-vibes. So, thus people were excited for Ruun too. Me included.
30.09.2014 - 21:21
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 30.09.2014 at 21:15

Oh, no. It is not and why would anyone ignore Ruun after such three spectacular records?! People were as excited as when "Isa" dropped post-Below The Lights. Not only it gone to make such an incredible album in itself but reflected the pure geniuses of "Below The Lights"-vibes. So, thus people were excited for Ruun too. Me included.

Perhaps underrated would be a better word? Under appreciated? Glossed over? Regardless, what I was trying to communicate is that I think those two albums were as high of quality as the previous ones you mentioned. I don't doubt that Enslaved have a lot of people watching them (and rightfully so), but I often see albums like Below the Lights, Isa, and Axioma Ethica Odini mentioned in the same sentence as Enslaved's finest albums, yet rarely see Ruun and Vertebrae lumped in there. Thus whenever someone is mentioning them or looking for recommendations, those albums seem to be overlooked. So, maybe not overlooked when they were released, but overlooked in hindsight now. Hope that clears it up.
----
The force will be with you, always.
30.09.2014 - 22:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Yeah, that clears the air.
01.10.2014 - 08:43
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 30.09.2014 at 21:13

While I do think Enslaved are consistent I do think they have a propensity for somewhat boring albums every now and then (Runn, Vertebrae and RIITIIR). When they get the balance just right though (Monumension, Isa and AEO) it's pretty spectacular. They seem to be due a great one.

lol there must be something really fucked up with my head, 'cause I really like Ruun, Vertebrae, and RIITIIR, and out of all the Enslaved albums I own, Axioma Ethica Odini is my least favorite. Guess I'm just the oddball; everyone else seems to agree with you.
----
01.10.2014 - 16:29
JayMo4
Written by Jaeryd on 01.10.2014 at 08:43
lol there must be something really fucked up with my head, 'cause I really like Ruun, Vertebrae, and RIITIIR, and out of all the Enslaved albums I own, Axioma Ethica Odini is my least favorite. Guess I'm just the oddball

My opinion is actually pretty similar, so I guess we'll be oddballs together. But I'll show some solidarity with the others in this thread as well: Isa is fucking awesome.
01.10.2014 - 21:33
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by JayMo4 on 01.10.2014 at 16:29

My opinion is actually pretty similar, so I guess we'll be oddballs together. But I'll show some solidarity with the others in this thread as well: Isa is fucking awesome.

I never said anything about Isa... that album is great. I don't think anyone can deny that. One of my favorites, for sure.
----
01.10.2014 - 22:05
JayMo4
I know you didn't. I just wanted to throw that in there just because.
02.10.2014 - 15:45
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.09.2014 at 12:29

Kinda hoping they surprise us all and put out something wacky like Monumension.

x2

That's my fav Enslaved album!
02.10.2014 - 19:17
The Galactician
I haven't been disappointed with anything they've done, really. All pure quality for my ears and particular tastes. Can't wait for this!

Hits total: 2650 | This month: 7