05. I Am Low
06. Frozen
07. One Final Day (Sworn To Believe)
08. The World is Wired
09. The Dying Age
10. Ad Vitam Aeternam
11. The Year The Sun Died
12. Waiting For The Sun [The Doors cover] [bonus]

The hope here is that the progenitor of Nevermore can be revived. Will we find Sanctuary again after all these years? Unfortunately not. Consider Refuge Denied.

This comeback from the members of Sanctuary is an effort which forcibly attempts to recapture a sound which hasn't been touched upon for over two decades. The Year The Sun Died fails to reinstate the vigour of what will remain a two-time album affair, unless the band further develops from here and manages to find the style of their prime. An unlikely occurrence, if the maladjusted song writing demonstrated in this attempt is anything to go by.

To dissolve from the assessment any conjecture as to whether this record sounds more clearly like Nevermore or more clearly like Sanctuary: overall, it's neither. Warrel Dane's vocals clearly don't revisit arrangements of his much younger self, more closely resembling his work with Nevermore, which is essentially the only correlative component of the sound here, which he carries over, style-wise, from all of his vocal development post-Sanctuary. The performance in The Year The Sun Died is always deeper, much lower in pitch and devoid of his screeching higher notes that electrified the style of US power metal that the band is known for, most purely projected in the debut album Refuge Denied.

The guitar work here is slow and bogged down, devoid of any classically speedy Sanctuary segments and laden with well performed yet ineffective soloing, which futilely flitter on through without landing any impact that they might have had if they were delivered in a more memorable context.

Overall, the record simply doesn't carry the same tone or a similar edge that Sanctuary once had, as the thrash elements are here reduced to a less effectual groove saturated sound. Bear in mind that it's not Jeff Loomis we're hearing, who wasn't on any Sanctuary record, as he joined the band subsequent to their release and before the immanent breakup of the band. As a consequence the tone, style and structure in the instrumentation as a whole, under-represented bass work of Jim Sheppard aside, certainly can't be likened to Nevermore, and neither does it revisit the same Sanctuary sound that would be expected, in part at the very least.

If the purposes of this record were to replicate Sanctuary's two 90's efforts, The Year The Sun Died falls well short. However, if the purposes of this record were to produce something new under the renewal of the Sanctuary name, The Year The Sun Died delivers in this respect. The strength and dominance of Warrel Dane's performance here may give the impression that this is, in actuality, a "Nevermore plays Sanctuary" escapade, yet the groove riff centric focus here establishes something altogether different from either band.

That said, it's not an entirely limp record and is possessive of enough power in the rhythm section to do the band name some justice at least, but it simply doesn't live up to the Sanctuary of old.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 03.10.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 22   Visited by: 314 users
03.10.2014 - 17:05
Zap
Sad day. At one point I was really looking forward to this, but the three songs released disappointed the hell out of me. And since this review perfectly sums up what's wrong with those three songs I can expect the rest of the album to be similar in quality.
Oh well, I guess I'll check out that live EP/album thing (Into The Mirror Live) since I noticed I've never done that before.
Good review though.
03.10.2014 - 17:15
Rating: 6
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Zap on 03.10.2014 at 17:05

Sad day. At one point I was really looking forward to this, but the three songs released disappointed the hell out of me. And since this review perfectly sums up what's wrong with those three songs I can expect the rest of the album to be similar in quality.
Good review though.

It does have some saving graces I think. One Final Day in particular sounds somewhat memorable (especially with the vocal line "Sworn to believe"), but it's the track that has the least to do with US power metal and classic Sanctuary.
03.10.2014 - 17:20
Zap
Written by R'Vannith on 03.10.2014 at 17:15

It does have some saving graces I think. One Final Day in particular sounds somewhat memorable (especially with the vocal line "Sworn to believe"), but it's the track that has the least to do with US power metal and classic Sanctuary.

I'll keep that in mind when I give the album a spin I'm definitely still gonna check it out, but it's safe to say my excitement has died down almost completely.
Btw, any words on "Waiting For The Sun?" I'm curious how that turned out.
03.10.2014 - 17:29
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Zap on 03.10.2014 at 17:20

I'll keep that in mind when I give the album a spin I'm definitely still gonna check it out, but it's safe to say my excitement has died down almost completely.
Btw, any words on "Waiting For The Sun?" I'm curious how that turned out.

It seems like the perfect cover to do, and sits well with the record as a whole. Frankly though, it just sits at the back-end of the album without doing it, and the original, any impressionable significance really.
03.10.2014 - 21:21
Rating: 10
Gwyn
Album deserves at least 9 points.I think it unfair that you do..
03.10.2014 - 21:49
Rating: 5
MetalDoomMaster
Excellent review. This album has an incredible lack of energy, which kind of reminded me of Nevermore's last album. (the energy, not the music) I was really hoping for something awesome with this release, but was a bit disappointed. Warrel Dane can still deliver though.
03.10.2014 - 21:50
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Yeah, my expectations weren't really that high for this album, to be honest. Going by the terrible effort that was The Obsidian Conspiracy, as well as Warrel Dane's solo albums, clearly the guy has suffered a bit of a decline in his songwriting abilities in recent years. Comeback albums are tough, the band can either try to recreate their classic sound or go for something different. The former is usually a lot harder and more prone to result in failure, and that seems to be what happened here.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.10.2014 - 22:22
JayMo4
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 03.10.2014 at 21:49

Excellent review. This album has an incredible lack of energy, which kind of reminded me of Nevermore's last album.

Yeah.... Glad someone else said it first. Last time I commented on Obsidian Conspiracy around these parts I was surprised at how many people seemed to believe I was missing out on how good it was. There were even a couple posters calling it their best album, which blew my mind.
03.10.2014 - 22:43
Rating: 5
MetalDoomMaster
Written by JayMo4 on 03.10.2014 at 22:22

There were even a couple posters calling it their best album, which blew my mind.

Must have been the only Nevermore album they heard
03.10.2014 - 22:51
Rating: 4
Rulatore
You were pretty generous with it it sounded lazy, they did it just to have something new and play old material live, there's no other reason for this album to see the light of the day
03.10.2014 - 23:19
I'll be that guy and say I enjoyed this album, through and through. I think its a great album and I disagree on every point above.
04.10.2014 - 12:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.10.2014 at 21:50

Yeah, my expectations weren't really that high for this album, to be honest. Going by the terrible effort that was The Obsidian Conspiracy, as well as Warrel Dane's solo albums, clearly the guy has suffered a bit of a decline in his songwriting abilities in recent years.

But Praises To The War Machine is a great album! I don't agree with you on that at all about Dane's solo work The Obsidian Conspiracy was lacking indeed but that was probably due to the tensions in the band.

Still haven't listened to the new Sanctuary, but I plan to soon.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.10.2014 - 15:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by BloodTears on 04.10.2014 at 12:26

But Praises To The War Machine is a great album! I don't agree with you on that at all about Dane's solo work

I'll agree with you that it was better than TOC, but I still thought it was kinda meh.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.10.2014 - 16:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.10.2014 at 15:38

I'll agree with you that it was better than TOC, but I still thought it was kinda meh.

100% agreed, Dane's solo work is meh at best.

Still wondering why they released The Year The Sun Died as a Sanctuary album and not a Nevermore one, since it has more in common musically and vocally with the last Nevermore album than with anything on the two Sanctuary albums.

Pretty average album TYTSD turned out to be, so will be spinning Refuge Denied and Into The Mirror Black again, especially Into The MIrror Black which is a US power classic.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2014 - 16:34
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.10.2014 at 16:28

Pretty average album TYTSD turned out to be, so will be spinning Refuge Denied and Into The Mirror Black again, especially Into The MIrror Black which is a US power classic.

Yep, as I did in regards to the new Atheist album, will be sticking with their classic material for now.
----

~ II. VII
04.10.2014 - 16:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.10.2014 at 16:34

Yep, as I did in regards to the new Atheist album, will be sticking with their classic material for now.

Don't even mention that Atheist album
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2014 - 17:00
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite

Still wondering why they released The Year The Sun Died as a Sanctuary album and not a Nevermore one

Only Warrel Dane and Jim Sheppard from the musicians involved here went on to Nevermore. 3/5 members on this album haven't had anything to do with Nevermore. 4/5 are original members of Sanctuary. Despite that though, this album doesn't have the same sound they once had.
04.10.2014 - 17:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by R'Vannith on 04.10.2014 at 17:00

Still wondering why they released The Year The Sun Died as a Sanctuary album and not a Nevermore one

Only Warrel Dane and Jim Sheppard from the musicians involved here went on to Nevermore. 3/5 members on this album haven't had anything to do with Nevermore. 4/5 are original members of Sanctuary.

I know that, yet they sound more like Nevermore than Sanctuary
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2014 - 17:13
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.10.2014 at 17:07

I know that, yet they sound more like Nevermore than Sanctuary

Yeah, I agree. Dane's performance certainly gives that impression.
06.10.2014 - 16:14
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I think this Sanctuary album fails in every way possible. It has nothing to do with what Sanctuary was in Refuge Denied or Into the Mirror Black. It sounds more like leftovers from the Nevermore era.
While i didn't expect a full regression into those 2 albums, i thought that at least they would try to regain some of that thrash uncompromising feeling. Some of the songs are actually decent but not under the Sanctuary moniker. Why didn't they just formed a new band? Oh i know: money.
06.10.2014 - 16:30
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Guest on 06.10.2014 at 16:14

i thought that at least they would try to regain some of that thrash uncompromising feeling.

That's the most reprehensible thing about this supposed "comeback." There isn't a similar thrash element to this record at all, which gives it a sound quite divorced from the "actual" Sanctuary albums. It's highly disappointing in that sense.
22.03.2015 - 20:15
Rating: 10
stelios_7
The Best album !!!! 10'

Hits total: 8019 | This month: 7