Metal Storm logo
The Defiled - Play World's First Gig On A Floating Iceberg

After Metallica played in Antarctica, The Defiled turned a gigantic Iceberg into the most unlikely of gig venues in the Greenland Sea recently when Jägermeister Music UK invited the band to perform on top of the floating platform for the Jägermeister Ice Cold Gig - which sees artists put to the test as they perform in unconventional, ice cold conditions. Braving freezing temperatures and fast flowing ice, the group performed the special set to a host of locals from the nearby town of Kulusuk. The band played songs from their latest album Daggers. Check out the documentary of the trip here.

Flying from the UK to Iceland, the group then transferred to the island town of Kulusuk, Greenland, before trekking over-land and sea to their base on the neighbouring island Tasiilaq which has a population of just over 2000 inhabitants. Prior to taking to the icy-stage, frontman Stitch D, along with keyboard player The AvD, bassist Vincent Hyde and drummer Needles spent time getting to meet local musicians and watching them perform their own traditional music, before inviting them and other residents to come and witness their unique one-off performance.

To thank the locals for making the gig a reality, the band donated their equipment to the local community hall. When the band heard that the Kulusuk village music hall, and all of their equipment, had burnt down in a fierce winter storm, Stitch D and his bandmates pulled strings with Mapex and Blackstar, two of their equipment suppliers, and donated a drum kit and guitar amp to contribute to the rebuilding of the facilities.

Guitarist/vocalist Stitch D said: "This has to be one of the most insane gigs we've ever played! You see these things on TV documentaries but it's not until you get to see them in real life that you realise just how big and amazing icebergs are. Although it was cold, I don't think any of us noticed once we got started as the stage location literally takes your breath away. As a group of mates we've shared some amazing experiences together but this has been an adventure that has bought us closer together and something that we all feel really privileged to have been part of. We've made a lot of friends during our short stay here and donated some music equipment to the local people, so we look forward to coming back one day and playing a joint gig out here next time - maybe the first ever gig with two bands playing on two icebergs at the same time!"

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: The Defiled
Posted: 16.10.2014 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 5   Visited by: 15 users
16.10.2014 - 22:22
Lit.
Account deleted
I have no idea how I feel about this.
17.10.2014 - 05:08
Jiri

What do they hope to accomplish by doing this?
17.10.2014 - 06:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
This pointless achievement somehow reminds me of when a certain band bought an inox drum to perform in a gig, and when they put the inox drums on the stage (using a machine of course, because it was too heavy) the stage broke...
I don't remember the band name though
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.10.2014 - 13:21
Ilham
Giant robot
I'm waiting for the first band to ever play a gig on a giant rubber duck.
17.10.2014 - 13:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh man, bad memories: I actually saw these guys support Ghost.

So, how's the Titanic II progressing then?

Hits total: 1491 | This month: 4