Metal Storm logo
Chobo's Choices For Top 25 Favourite Albums

Here is a list of my favourite albums of all time (that are on Metalstorm). I have limited it to one album per band. The albums are ordered in alphabetical order. The list is subject to change over time, but nearly all albums on here are set in stone and have been extremely influential on my musical tastes. If you think you have an album that could squeak its way onto this list, by all means suggest away.

I'll also provide a little anecdote for each album, as to how it found its way on my list.

Created by: Chobo_jokeR | 13.10.2014

1. Agalloch - The Mantle
When I was first getting into metal, I had gone through the Top Album of All Time on Metalstorm and retrieved numerous albums and stored them in my iTunes. Agalloch was one of the bands that I would later become acquainted with. Their albums sat in my iTunes for a year or maybe more, without me giving them a proper listen. Once I finally started listening to more "extreme" metal, I forced myself to sit down and listen to their albums. This set me on the path to adoring Agalloch and have been a gigantic fan ever since. This particular album is my selection, as it features some of my favourite songs of theirs (In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion, The Hawthorne Passage, ?and The Great Cold Death of The Earth).
2. Ahab - The Divinity Of Oceans
On several occasions I tried listening to this album. I hadn't quite crossed over into the realm of extreme doom yet, but was making an active effort to try and understand why this type of music is so cherished. I was home from university and was taking the dogs for walks during the summer, trying to get through that first song and struggled to do so. When I went back to university I sat down and listened to the entire album front to back. I gave it my full undivided attention. What came next was an evolution in my tastes regarding doom. This album, while being extreme, has some of the most beautiful melodies. Daniel Droste's vocals (funeral and cleans) are outstanding. Redemption Lost is one of my favourite tracks.
3. Amon Amarth - Versus The World
This will go down as one of the albums that I have listened to the most at the gym. From the very first note of Death in Fire to the very last of ?And Soon The World Will Cease To Be, this is a thrilling and enjoyable ride. I went to their "An Evening With Amon Amarth" concert in Calgary, Alberta, and up to this point has been my favourite concert of all time. Johan Hegg and company put on a hell of a performance and I have been jamming to this long after that concert.
4. Cult Of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway
My friend gave me a copy of Eternal Kingdom when I was first getting into metal. To say the least I didn't get what Cult of Luna were trying to accomplish. The vocals were odd and the pace was slow. It was several years later that I decided to revisit their discography, once I had came to the realization that there is beauty and excellence in all kinds of genres. It is no easy task picking my favourite album from their discography, but this album features some of their finest (Finland, And With Her Came The Birds, Dark City, Dead Man).
5. Death - Symbolic
I began to really enjoy Death after I started listening to less melodic bands. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of melody in the solos, but this album can truly rip. In my opinion, this is one of Chuck's finest pieces of music. I have a very fond memory of getting loaded and playing beer pong to this album. Good times.
6. Dolorian - When All The Laughter Has Gone
I had heard many great things about Dolorian, but never paid proper attention to their body of work. One night last tax season, I spent four hours at the office by myself. I proceeded to go through their discography while working. Time vanished and I was blown away by their truly unique sound. It reminds me somewhat of Esoteric, but less?aggressive. Beautiful works have been performed by this band, and I hope we are blessed with another offering from them.
7. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Never having really heard this band I blindly bought this album from HMV during my first semester away at university. I had heard good things on this website about Enslaved, but had no idea what to expect. When I first popped the CD into my vehicle's stereo, I was a little surprised at what I was hearing. I wasn't a fan of Black metal at this point in time, but this was one of the CD's that acquainted me with the style. Although this is more Progressive than Black, it still has those aspects. A true masterpiece.
8. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
I started getting into Esoteric around the time that Paragon Of Dissonance came out. I had read plenty about the band, but never really listened to their work. The first track that I truly encountered was Cipher off of Paragon Of Dissonance. That album was by far their most accessible effort, while still remaining distinctively Esoteric. I then ventured on to listen to the rest of their discography. The Maniacal Vale is a masterpiece. There are moments of beauty and tranquility, but are usually blended amongst the insanity and intensity Esoteric can be known for.
9. Evoken - Antithesis Of Light
10. Faal - The Clouds Are Burning
11. Fen - Epoch
12. Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
13. Immolation - Here In After
14. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
A friend of mine introduced me to this album one day we were shooting pool at his house. Brave New World and Ghost Of The Navigator were two of the tracks that stood out to me. I would go on to see Iron Maiden twice, once with Dream Theater and the other time with Coheed and Cambria (another one of my favourite bands). Both times the boys from Iron Maiden didn't disappoint. Both times I was treated to songs from this album. Hearing Brave New World live blew my mind. Memories I'll never forget.
15. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
16. Mar De Grises - Streams Inwards
17. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
I became very familiar with this album after numerous poker games with a particular group of friends. They all worshipped Metallica, so their songs were a staple in the playlist. Blackened. One. Frayed Ends of Sanity. Didn't hurt that I had the Guitar Hero: Metallica edition to jam out to.
18. Mournful Congregation - The Monad Of Creation
19. Opeth - Morningrise
20. Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
21. The Ruins Of Beverast - Foulest Semen Of A Sheltered Elite
22. Thou - Heathen
23. Ulcerate - The Destroyers Of All
24. Warning - Watching From A Distance
Ranking high on Marcel's and Bitter's lists, I knew I would have to check this out. Pat Walker's vocals are so sorrowful and emotional. He gives the performance of a life time. Faces and Footprints are two of the most beautiful songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Watching From A Distance sparked a passion for doom.
25. Wolves In The Throne Room - Diadem Of 12 Stars
I spent a summer semester in the city that I went to university in. I had countless hours of free time on my hands, so I decided I would try and breakdown that Black metal barrier. I knew WITTR was held in high regard by numerous members of the site, so I thought I would start with them. Also, their nature theme intrigued me. I spent the majority of that summer listening to Diadem of 12 Stars, Two Hunters and Black Cascade. They were also the albums I'd listen to when driving home for the weekend. By the end of that semester WITTR was one of my favourite bands, and I listened to each of their songs anticipating the next note or melody. They've created four albums that I hold in very high esteem.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Chobo_jokeR ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 7   Visited by: 39 users
19.10.2014 - 15:08
Ilham
Giant robot
I'd have given you a +1 just for the thumbnail. But I'm a little bit stingy with my +1s. Also, same as you, Versus The World was the only thing that made me finish those endurance trainings when I was in highschool. Now when I hear a song from that album my heart rate automatically increases.
19.10.2014 - 23:40
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Ilham on 19.10.2014 at 15:08

I'd have given you a +1 just for the thumbnail. But I'm a little bit stingy with my +1s. Also, same as you, Versus The World was the only thing that made me finish those endurance trainings when I was in highschool. Now when I hear a song from that album my heart rate automatically increases.

My original thumbnail was from the movie Cidade De Deus, but as Boardwalk Empire is drawing to a close I figured I should honour Chalky White.

Amon Amarth certainly are motivational in that regard. I'm becoming more and more partial to Fate of Norns as of late.

Thanks for checking the list!
19.10.2014 - 23:46
Erik M.

First Richard Harrow and now Chalky White? You must be quite a fan of the show or characters (or both). For the record, the last BE season was excellent. Really made me like the show a lot more (I previously thought it was "just good", but now it is truly great... looking forward to the last season a lot as well).

Anyway, quite a few albums I like a lot as well, but also quite a few I dislike. Nice list still, though.
19.10.2014 - 23:54
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Erik M. on 19.10.2014 at 23:46

First Richard Harrow and now Chalky White? You must be quite a fan of the show or characters (or both). For the record, the last BE season was excellent. Really made me like the show a lot more (I previously thought it was "just good", but now it is truly great... looking forward to the last season a lot as well).

Anyway, quite a few albums I like a lot as well, but also quite a few I dislike. Nice list still, though.

Really? I thought season 4 was one of the weaker seasons. 3, 2, 1, 4 is my order probably. I may need to watch 4 again though. I've found this final season to be rather disappointing. Harrow and Chalky are two of my favourite characters from any series. Omar Little (from The Wire) probably being number 1.

Which do you like vs which do you dislike from the list?

Thanks for taking a look either way.
20.10.2014 - 19:28
Erik M.

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 19.10.2014 at 23:54

Really? I thought season 4 was one of the weaker seasons. 3, 2, 1, 4 is my order probably. I may need to watch 4 again though. I've found this final season to be rather disappointing. Harrow and Chalky are two of my favourite characters from any series. Omar Little (from The Wire) probably being number 1.

Which do you like vs which do you dislike from the list?

Thanks for taking a look either way.

In my opinion season 4 has more interesting story and better development and "utility" of characters (meaning: the actions and contributions to the story). Lots of suspense as well, whereas the previous seasons were way less suspenseful and had less exciting stuff happening (dragging on a bit, is how it felt to me).

As for your list, I like: The Mantle, When All the Laughter has Gone, The Antithesis of Light, The Monad of Creation, Morningrise, The Morning Never Came, Watching from a Distance and Diadem of 12 Stars. Well, most of these are amazing albums, to be fair.

The ones I don't like: Symbolic (have only heard it once, but this band never really clicked with me), Axioma Ethica Odini (yes, people will murder me for this, but one spin didn't impress me a lot... I probably have to listen to it again), Epoch (pretty boring album while their debut is fantastic) and Heathen (also boring). The ones I didn't mention either don't interest me or I still haven't checked them out.

Alright, seeing as I love quite a few albums on here, I gave you a +1 after all.
08.11.2014 - 17:12
Diverge

+1 for Fen's Epoch. So refreshing to see that album on a list with the typical suspects like Warning.
08.11.2014 - 19:58
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Diverge on 08.11.2014 at 17:12

+1 for Fen's Epoch. So refreshing to see that album on a list with the typical suspects like Warning.

Thanks! I really love that album, and the rest of their discography. Each album is its own entity, so I'm excited to see what the new one brings. It was another one of those first few albums that got me interested in the post-black type sound. They can do no wrong in my books, so far anyways.

Hits total: 1652 | This month: 7