08. Hel [feat. Messiah Marcolin]
09. Coming Of The Tide
10. Warriors Of The North

Disc II [Special Edition Box]
01. Burning Anvil Of Steel
02. Satan Rising
03. Snake Eyes
04. Stand Up To Go Down

The Scandinavian kings have sprung into action once more, releasing another album. As always, they know the deal. At first, I thought it was a very typical album with songs more-or-less all sounding like each other, but after a couple of listenings, my ideas greatly changed.

They have brought a new set of melodies on this album, and it feels a little different. What a fan wants is a high quality and strong work, but when you're getting ready to listen, something unexpected happens. Your ears hear a new thing, you'll think something's wrong, but NO, this is Amon Amarth. For me, I was impressed; there seems to be no change in lyrics and context - the album is all about Norse mythology, Ragnarök, and battlefields - but there are many other changes that I'm going to explain.

At first, the vocalist's voice seems to have changed a little (although that's normal; it happens when you get older), but not too far - he's still the best! I think he's 40 years old or so now, so you wouldn't hear the same voice as 10 years ago. Messiah Marcolin is also a part of this work. The other primary changes are that they have controlled the drummer more, and the guitarists are doing something different. I don't mean they did badly; it's great. Melodies are plentiful and are more beautiful (in my opinion) than some of their older stuff.

"Father Of The Wolf" and "As Loke Falls" are the biggest highlights of the album. It's obvious that a revolution has been taking place in their songwriting. Their decision had a lot of strong results, and as always they never fear the great changes.

When you want to do great things, you should be great. This is my personal idea, and Amon Amarth is simply the best example for it. Winters come and winters pass, another album has been added to their list. Anyone on this God's green Earth has a different taste and a different thinking in music, but after all, I'll give 8.5 for this work and I'm hoping for more works like this.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by MetalAce | 02.11.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 154 users
02.11.2014 - 21:50
Rating: 5
Opethian

8.5 what the fuck are you on ..???
02.11.2014 - 21:54
Rating: 10
MetalAce
The Eternal
Written by Opethian on 02.11.2014 at 21:50

8.5 what the fuck are you on ..???

As far as I know, 8.5 is NOT a low rating, yeah.
02.11.2014 - 21:56
Opethian

No, but it is a High rating especially for this left over trash.
02.11.2014 - 22:01
Rating: 10
MetalAce
The Eternal
Emmmm..... that's your respectful opinion, and I don't think that this album is as bad as some other stuffs from AA.
03.11.2014 - 00:05
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
Dislike this review! this album is boring!
----
.:Saratan:.
03.11.2014 - 04:59
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Fair enough if you don't like it and think the rating is too high but others will disagree. I think it's a pretty good album by AA.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
03.11.2014 - 06:28
Neshat

9 for originality ? nothing new in this album !
03.11.2014 - 06:47
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I can see how you may like this album, but to give them a rating of 9 for originality is just absurd. If they weren't doing the same thing every melodeath band has already done a hundred times, they're at least ripping off of themselves. It sounds just like every album they've ever released. And no, no big changes were made whatsoever; Amon Amarth isn't the kind of band to make a change. Each album is just a continuation of the last, without very much growth being made between each.

I understand how you like the album. For melodeath, Amon Amarth do a pretty good job, and this is still a solid album. Still, I don't understand how you could think they really changed or innovated in any way.
----
03.11.2014 - 20:52
Rating: 7
s_t_s

I won't comment on some people's hatred to AA. I love them and this album brings enough fresh blood so that you cannot say it just sounds the same as any other album.
04.11.2014 - 02:51
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
How much of anything is original in metal these days anyway? I concede AA have a consistent formula that they stick to, but when you are that good, why change?
----
04.11.2014 - 09:28
Rating: 6
Risto
Wandering Midget
Rating this album a 9 in originality made me think a part of this review is a some kind of satire

Written by Ace Frawley on 04.11.2014 at 02:51

How much of anything is original in metal these days anyway?

Plenty, but I don't know how much of it you can appreciate if you think this is average
04.11.2014 - 13:12
Pandore

Disregarding the note (it's the reviewer's own right to think the album is worth 8.5), I think the review is rather poorly done.

You keep telling us how there are some evolutions, but you never actually explain how it's different: heavier, more melodic, a stronger NWOBHM influence, more variety, etc. (those are just examples, they may not all apply). "Father Of The Wolf" and "As Loke Falls" are your favorite songs, but again you don't tell what's great about them.

Except for the more controlled drums part, your review is just variations on the sentence "it has changed but it's great", which doesn't make it interesting to read. Sorry this is a bit harsh, but since you are passionate about the band and seem to have noticed the little changes, it could have been an interesting read if you were able to share your thoughts correctly.
04.11.2014 - 22:27
NorthernDickhead

Written by Risto on 04.11.2014 at 09:28

Rating this album a 9 in originality made me think a part of this review is a some kind of satire

Written by Ace Frawley on 04.11.2014 at 02:51

How much of anything is original in metal these days anyway?

Plenty, but I don't know how much of it you can appreciate if you think this is average

And that's not average album
05.11.2014 - 00:47
Vombatus
Potorro
The review is really badly written, independently of the rating (which I find rather irrelevant when writting such thing).
05.11.2014 - 11:54
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Vombatus on 05.11.2014 at 00:47

The review is really badly written, independently of the rating (which I find rather irrelevant when writting such thing).

Way to sound like a spoilt little child with a bad attitude. The guy wrote a guest review. These sorts of things should be politely encouraged rather than criticised. Sometimes it's better to just say nothing than something so overtly negative.
----
05.11.2014 - 23:05
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Ace Frawley on 05.11.2014 at 11:54

Way to sound like a spoilt little child with a bad attitude. The guy wrote a guest review. These sorts of things should be politely encouraged rather than criticised. Sometimes it's better to just say nothing than something so overtly negative.

Sorry man, didn't know only encouraging comments were allowed... I might have been a bit too harsh, but not unfair
06.11.2014 - 00:13
Dinruth

Written by Jaeryd on 03.11.2014 at 06:47

It sounds just like every album they've ever released. And no, no big changes were made whatsoever; Amon Amarth isn't the kind of band to make a change.

I agree with the part that I did not quote, where you said that 9 for innovation is a joke. Moreover, I also acknowledge that their style hasn't much changed since, I guess, With Oden on our Side, but how can you say that it sounds like every album they've ever released? How does this sound like "Once sent from the Golden Hall"?
08.12.2015 - 18:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
"Father Of The Wolf" and "As Loke Falls" are the biggest highlights of the album.

I say decvier, father and warriors 3 songs what stands out
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3604 | This month: 8