08. As The Palaces Burn
09. Blacken The Cursed Sun
10. Laid To Rest
11. Redneck
12. Black Label
13. Digital Sands [iTunes bonus]
14. Vigil [live] [iTunes bonus]
15. Bury Me Under The Sun [Japanese edition bonus]

After the somewhat experimental, uneven Sacrament and phoned-in blandness of Wrath, Lamb Of God return with a vengeance on Resolution. Listening to this is like erasing the past 8 years and picking up right where the excellent Ashes Of The Wake left off.

From the first dirty, southern guitar chords to Randy's shriek, I am back in high school again. The production is crystal clear, but not washed out. "Walk With Me In Hell," though a great song, sounded like it was recorded in a tin can, and Wrath in general was so compressed it felt like a SNES soundtrack. This is a return to the riff machine that made these guys top dogs to begin with. The guitar-work is fast, tight, and just plain fun. If you were one of the people who went racing for tabs after hearing "Laid To Rest" the first time, this is the album for you. There are too many moments to name, but the intro transition on "Ghost Walking," and the relentless "Terminally Unique" stick out in my mind at the moment.

Back on Randy: he hasn't sounded this monstrous in a long time. He had virtually discarded the remnants of his death metal roots on Sacrament, but here they return to a point. He still has that Anselmo-esque inflection he added, but the high pitched shrieks and crunching lows are back to add variety and hopefully scare away some of the core kids. The lyrics, if a bit contrived, get me going. I think the best example of the guitars, vocal delivery, and lyrics combining to just make you murderous is "Visitation." "My blood is boiling! I can't feel my own skin!" Yeah, it's go time.

As far as innovation goes, there are a few successful experiments here that still manage to fit nicely into the overall aesthetic. "Insurrection" has some clean singing on it that holds up okay. It's nothing special, but the track itself turns out to be quite good. "Barbarosa" is a cool, very sad, Southern-sounding instrumental. Most notably, "King Me" incorporates strings. I was skeptical about how this would fit, but it manages to make this a truly epic closer to the album. The best way I can describe it is to take the riff from "Walk With Me In Hell," slow it down, build the volume and intensity in the drums and vocals, turn it into another thrash-fest, then break just a moment before returning to the main hook, but this time on a full string arrangement. There are also some choir vocals to add to the ambience. Some may hate on this track, but I think it's spectacular.

I have only one minor gripe with this album. "Invictus" and "Cheated" don't hold up quite as well as the other tracks. I didn't find myself wanting to hit skip, but they felt more like outtakes to me. With this album being their longest (14 tracks at just under an hour), I feel cutting these two might have brought the length down to something a bit more open to regular repeat listening. That being said, I never found myself feeling bored over the course of play.

That pretty much does it. There are very few bands that rose up during my younger days that I would still recommend new albums for, but this one succeeds. With Randy having written at least part of the next album from prison, I am interested to see how it turns out.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by flightoficarus | 04.11.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Remember when Lamb Of God were busy pioneering never-before-heard-of, genre-bending, boundary-pushing, avant-garde experimental transcendental music? Neither does anyone else. Resolution won't change the way you listen to the band's music either. Unless you continue to listen with the speakers off.

Read more ››
published 18.04.2012 | Comments (107)

Guest review by
Ace Frawley
Rating:
Resolution is the seventh studio album by American band Lamb Of God. It contains 14 tracks and has a running time of around 56-minutes. It sees the band consolidate their position as one of the most popular American metal bands of the last decade. Their familiar sound is still there on this album but it also contains some unexpected moments that show their willingness to experiment and evolve.

Read more ››
published 30.12.2012 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 71 users
05.11.2014 - 00:19
Rating: 9
Reaper_Redeemer

This is the first time I see a difference in my opinion and Troy's opinion. I approve this review, though I would give an 8 on songwriting.
05.11.2014 - 00:20
Rating: 6
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
I personally don't like this album. I think it's their weakest. I rather listen to Wrath or As the Palaces Burn. But I have to agree on King Me. It's of the few songs I like from Resolution. But ofcourse it is cool to see that there are people who like this album
05.11.2014 - 02:10
Rating: 6
musclassia

Maybe my memory of this album's a bit fuzzy, but I'm slightly surprised that someone would call Wrath 'phoned-in blandness' when that's pretty much what comes to mind when I think of this album. There's some fun songs for sure, particularly towards the beginning, and King Me is a strong closer and clearly the standout track, but for the most part it's too long and overly same-y to be anything more than an okay 'LOG-by-numbers'. However, your review is well-written and enjoyable, even if I don't agree with it, so well done
06.11.2014 - 06:07
Rating: 9
UPDIRNS

Good album, but the reviewers comments that Wrath and Sacrament are not good LOG albums is lost to me. Those are my two favorite LOG albums and I have all their albums and have listened to these guys for more than a decade. I think all their albums are solid and Resolution is no different. Ghost Walking makes me want to find my dead self and awaken it with a beating.,
06.11.2014 - 16:43
Rating: 8
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Thanks for the comments, both in agreement and disagreement. To clarify, I like Sacrament. I just don't think it is as good as As the Palaces Burn or Ashes of the Wake, mostly due to the change in aesthetic and uneveness. Wrath I just could not get into at all. There was nothing that grabbed me despite repeat listens and WANTING to like it since they were still one of my favorite bands at the time. Maybe I'll try again. For those who found this one bland, I'd also suggest you try it again. My first listen or so resulted in a similar feeling, but when I came back to it a few months later I was floored. Not sure why the change.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
14.02.2015 - 00:28
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Looking back on this one, this is the only review I would change the score on. I'd give it an 8.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
14.02.2015 - 10:40
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by flightoficarus on 14.02.2015 at 00:28

Looking back on this one, this is the only review I would change the score on. I'd give it an 8.

hehe, that's what I rated it in my review.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.04.2015 - 23:20
Sunny Pagliaccio
Staff's PITA
----
I wish, I wish I was a fish. With wings. And long mane. And maybe a halo. Possibly shape-shifting.

Hits total: 3661 | This month: 5