07. The Holy Grail
08. The Throne
09. Sacred Mind
10. Miracle Machine
11. Grand Parade
12. Doom [earbook edition bonus]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2015

Additional info
Earbook includes 12 songs, illustrations, photos, and liner notes.
Nuclear Blast mail order earbook includes 12 songs, illustrations, photos, liner notes, and a bonus 10".

Produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and Blind Guardian.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
It was hinted At The Edge Of Time. A new symphonic focus and refinement that would bring Blind Guardian's sound fully into modern times. Production has never been as important in showcasing yet another distinctive album experience in their pioneering style of power metal. What lies beyond is assurance as much as surprise.

Read more ››
published 17.01.2015 | Comments (30)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 93   Visited by: 1417 users
02.02.2015 - 15:14
kalmah999
Account deleted
Very nice album! Minus for the production since at the edge of time had much better production but overall album is great piece of music for me
02.02.2015 - 19:40
Rating: 10
Andreas

Written by Guest on 02.02.2015 at 15:14

Very nice album! Minus for the production since at the edge of time had much better production but overall album is great piece of music for me

Why a better production? I mean, this album doesn't have farts or beeps in it as far as I heard
02.02.2015 - 23:03
Rating: 5
Reaper_Redeemer

Somewhat dissapointed. Only "Prophecies"/"Sacred Mind" turned me up. Nice production but a huge loss of inspiration made this album boring for my taste.
03.02.2015 - 14:26
Rating: 6
Lokasenna

I've listened to it twice now and... um... you know how Grave Digger just keep putting out the same album, and it gets a little more boring each time? That.

Beyond The Red Mirror sounds like they took A Night At The Opera and Twist In The Myth and made new songs out of the same riffs. It's one thing to hear the occasional "oh yeah, that's kinda like Precious Jerusalem", but when that's happening all the way through every song you've got a problem.

I also agree with the post above me about production - I'm not sure what's going on, but I can barely hear anything other than Hansi and the drums. Might as well be a Van Canto album.
03.02.2015 - 15:44
Rating: 9
.Halpin.

FANTASTIC ALBUM!!!! In my opinion, better than their last!!
03.02.2015 - 18:21
Rating: 8
Eternity'sChild

I really love this album so far. The "chaos" that some people are complaining about is exacly what I enjoy about some bands, that there's more to discover, than just the song and a set mood or style for that particular song, but a lot of variation (in terms of melodies in Blind Guardian's case) within one song. This is also the reason why I really enjoyed Devin Townsend's Deconstruction and Dark Matters.

At the moment I'm having difficulties to decide between 9 and 10, because I really want to reward it with a 10, but I'm not fully convinced yet.
03.02.2015 - 20:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just tried... IMO better album as A Night At The Opera , A Twist In The Myth , At The Edge Of Time
Some songs is like Denons n Wizards actually (BTW any news about that Hansi side project)
But same time nothing special. This band get high votes because of name like most of bands, not music, this is not same asit was until Nightfall In Middle-Earth , but people wont understand it anyway ... I love old Blind Guardian when they were speed in Battalions Of Fear and Follow The Blind , also 1th Power album Tales From The Twilight World was great. Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations From The Other Side are OK, but rets is pure shit ... this is up higher as last 3 shit albums, but still boring, seems they are getting old, Maybe Hansi needs plays bass ?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2015 - 01:58
Joe Zombie

Can't say I'm not at least a little disappointed with this one. Some good tunes here but in the end I was underwhelmed. Favorite track: Grand Parade.
04.02.2015 - 21:18
Shmyt

I'm loving it, it's very old school and classic Blind Guardian. The symphonic elements aren't for everyone but I think I prefer it this way. I have yet to hear Doom but everything else is pretty great. My favourite has to be Miracle Machine, though Ninth Wave comes pretty close.
04.02.2015 - 21:24
kalmah999
Account deleted
Written by Andreas on 02.02.2015 at 19:40

Written by Guest on 02.02.2015 at 15:14

Why a better production? I mean, this album doesn't have farts or beeps in it as far as I heard

Well, ATEOT had better drums and better sound quallity overall for me. On Beyond The Red Mirror, songs sound like they are tuned down, bass can only be heard probably in Distant Memories but ofc that is my opinion
05.02.2015 - 17:45
Hellthunder

Written by Lokasenna on 03.02.2015 at 14:26

I've listened to it twice now

There''s your problem.
06.02.2015 - 00:30
Lokasenna

Written by Hellthunder on 05.02.2015 at 17:45

There''s your problem.

If an album doesn't sound even vaguely interesting after two listens, and the mix is as flat and boring as this, I don't see why I should give it any more of my time.
06.02.2015 - 01:01
kalmah999
Account deleted
Written by Lokasenna on 06.02.2015 at 00:30

Written by Hellthunder on 05.02.2015 at 17:45

There''s your problem.

If an album doesn't sound even vaguely interesting after two listens, and the mix is as flat and boring as this, I don't see why I should give it any more of my time.

He was maybe trying to say, that album needs more than just 1,2 listens. It was definitly grower for me, did not like it at all after first listen. I tried to listen the album more times with lyrics and in the end I thought it was very good. Production isn't near as god as on ATEOT but it was not unberable for me, anyway that was just my case and opinion ofc
06.02.2015 - 22:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Joe Zombie on 04.02.2015 at 01:58

Can't say I'm not at least a little disappointed with this one. Some good tunes here but in the end I was underwhelmed. Favorite track: Grand Parade.

you should be use to disappointment since Nightfall ...
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2015 - 23:36
Rating: 5
Pazu

Written by Bad English on 06.02.2015 at 22:13

Written by Joe Zombie on 04.02.2015 at 01:58

you should be use to disappointment since Nightfall ...

ATEOT is better than Nightfall
09.02.2015 - 00:54
Rating: 7
Arcesse Eum

Written by Andreas on 20.11.2014 at 13:05

Written by M C Vice on 14.11.2014 at 13:05

Written by Guest on 13.11.2014 at 22:24

Written by Michaelis on 08.11.2014 at 11:07
Can't wait... but why every band must have song called "Twilight of the Gods"

Because Bathory, yo.

But Helloween had one before Bathory. I wonder who had one first?

Maybe not the first ever, but just to illustrate that we can go back in time way further than the 1980s:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tterd%C3%A4mmerung

...it's cuz Nietzsche yo.
----
As above, so below.
10.02.2015 - 08:20
Stunning Cactus

Although I'm generally fine with the music itself, the production IS definitely underwhelming as people say. There are next to no dynamics...if they were going to compress it to all hell, they might as well have made it a bit louder and more bombastic like all the other compressed-to-hell albums that actually sound huge. :/

Needless to say, however, Blind Guardian songwriting tends to not disappoint. I'd probably give it a 7ish at this point. Few more listens required, of course, but man, that production sorta kills it.
14.02.2015 - 03:05
Iceland_Norway

Il listened it many times online and now I'm going to buy it ASAP
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
16.02.2015 - 07:59
Rating: 4
Wes

Sorry Blind Guardian..
21.02.2015 - 15:49
Vikcen
Metálico
They rescue (predominates) the sound / style of And Then There Was Silence mainly, plus Sacred Worlds and Wheel Of Time . It is undeniable the great work of this album with the two orchestras and choirs (Budapest, Prague and Boston), but i feel the album a little uninspired, where André Olbrich at least proves one more time the master he is, with great melodies and his delicious sound. Anyway for me the hits are Twilight Of The Gods, Prophecies, At The Edge Of Time and The Holy Grail.

Till the savior will break through
22.02.2015 - 02:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vikcen on 21.02.2015 at 15:49

They rescue (predominates) the sound / style of And Then There Was Silence mainly, plus Sacred Worlds and Wheel Of Time . It is undeniable the great work of this album with the two orchestras and choirs (Budapest, Prague and Boston), but i feel the album a little uninspired, where André Olbrich at least proves one more time the master he is, with great melodies and his delicious sound. Anyway for me the hits are Twilight Of The Gods, Prophecies, At The Edge Of Time and The Holy Grail.

you still here. I didn't know you're in MS nowadays
----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2015 - 18:49
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Bad English on 22.02.2015 at 02:43

Written by Vikcen on 21.02.2015 at 15:49

you still here. I didn't know you're in MS nowadays

I've never left it
23.02.2015 - 08:37
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Disappointing.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.02.2015 - 15:16
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Listened to this twice now and I'm still not really feeling it. I keep getting told it's like Imaginations, but it's a lot closer to Opera and Twist. Both of those albums are good, but I'm not hearing a 9/10 for this one at all. I am told it's a grower like their last few albums so maybe I will eventually be impressed after 5 or 6 plays
28.02.2015 - 15:45
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
It's fairly enjoyable, but nothing beyond good. But it doesn't stick.

I'm not a sound engineer, but it feels like the whole mix has blurred everything together. Either that or the songwriting isn't good enough to catch my attention to lead me to pick individual parts out.
----
loves 小巫
08.03.2015 - 11:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"Ashes Of Eternity" is one another perfect BG song...but the rest didnt impressed me so far, maybe more listening sessions...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.03.2015 - 13:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 08.03.2015 at 11:10

"but the rest didnt impressed me so far, maybe more listening sessions...

wont help, forgot it take your time of and after some time go and listen some classics
----

apos;'
[image]
10.03.2015 - 15:57
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Irritable Ted on 28.02.2015 at 11:05

Still trying, still not liking it yet. A couple of tracks are starting to stand out, Distant Memories and The Throne. It feels like I am sitting an exam trying to get something out of this album. Not enjoyable.

The guitar solo inside The Throne is really awesome.
21.03.2015 - 23:05
Hellthunder

I kind of feel sorry for you guys who can't get into this album...
22.03.2015 - 03:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellthunder on 21.03.2015 at 23:05

I kind of feel sorry for you guys who can't get into this album...

why we should, this band is past whit big P .... they never will record great songs as pre Nightfall, only why we should see it live is to hear old songs
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 27218 | This month: 60