Metal Storm logo
The Less Trodden Path - 2014 [Paused midway]

As per title. This list only shows albums that I enjoyed and are in four lists or less at the time of adding, because there's no point in adding what everyone has already. This is not aiming to be the most extreme or the quirkiest, but I love good music, and I hope you do too. Shall be updated periodically; Listed in no particular order.

Paused because I didn't have time in 2014 )=

Created by: Ag Fox | 16.06.2014

1. E-Force - The Curse...
by ex-Voidvod member Eric Forrest. More straight up thrash than Voivod or Project: Failing Flesh, yet this is how modern thrash should be
2. Ludicrous - Altar Boy Discocult
Upon first looking at the band name, I thought it was the American rapper. "Discocult" should give you an idea of the genre
3. Narrow House - Thanathonaut
Their fairly varied funeral doom debut should have hinted at what was to come, but boy I'm surprised. Calling it just "doom metal" is rather unjust
4. Shear - Katharsis
still has that melodic Finnish sound, front-woman Alexa sounds good as usual, but the compositions are the main draw and is a breath of fresh air for power metal
5. Arsafes - Ratocracy
the guys behind ethnic death metal band Kartikeya decided to make an industrial metal record, and they did not disappoint
6. Terra Tenebrosa - V.I.T.R.I.O.L. - Purging The Tunnels
These supposed leftovers shall quench my thirst for more oppressive menace from the Cuckoo
7. Merkabah (POL) - Moloch
The sax may be a bit overbearing at times for being too high in the mix, but it's still as enjoyable as it is sonically challenge to navigate. Reminds me of Yakuza's Beyul
8. Emptiness - Nothing But The Whole
more refined and slightly less chaotic than their previous album "Error". Unsure which one I prefer for now
9. Grey Skies Fallen - The Many Sides Of Truth
Engaging melodic death doom that is nicely produced in terms of retaining some of the rawness and knows how to hit hard
10. Voyager - V
"V" has managed to combined the heaviness of "The Meaning Of I" and the catchiness of "I Am The ReVolution". The vocals may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it also makes them stand out from the rest of the crowd
11. Nadja - Tangled
it's almost like The Angelic Process left behind the ethereal atmosphere, picked up the pace and added some groove
12. Black Magic - Wizard's Spell
While Portrait has been all the rage this year for being retro, Black Magic comes across as a more genuine effort in playing + writing fun retro-heavy metal
13. Possessor - Electric Hell
misleading artwork; Turns out it's thrash - Stoner Thrash to be specific. One of the rarer hybrids around
14. Ravenscry - The Attraction Of Opposites
Not ground breaking, but perfect for those looking for something a bit different in the female symphonic metal scene
15. Melifera - Natural Distance
progressive metal that places a bigger emphasis on heavy metal-like riffs. The female vocalist has room for improvement, but the overall package is surprisingly addictive anyway

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Ag Fox ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 1   Visited by: 21 users
09.11.2014 - 08:30
Susan
Smeghead
Narrow House, Ravenscry, and Arsafes will be on my list as well. I'll take a few of these other titles as suggestions as I scramble to get caught up before year-end
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 1573 | This month: 5