04. Toxicate
05. Order Of Your Faith
06. It's Not Enough
07. Before It Began
08. The Script
09. Constant Tomorrows
10. Behind Closed Doors
11. Affliction

British 5-piece Winter In Eden previously released debut and sophomore albums showing nice potential but I've been waiting for them to release one that was finally really good. At long last, they've done it. Fans of symphonic metal can rejoice in a solid album for their genre, one that doesn't skirt commercial tendencies or try to be any other band. Winter In Eden has really accepted their own sound and is not apologizing for it.

The music is dark, elegant, and hypnotizing. It could easily appeal to fans of gothic metal as well. On one hand I wouldn't really call this album high-energy; more that it's kinda chill, laid-back, and even rock-oriented at times. On the other hand, the energy level grows slowly throughout; it definitely sneaks up on you by the end.

Heavy-hitter "Toxicate" has some cool effects and an excellent (though too brief) south Asian influence, while songs like "It's Not Enough" kick it up a level from the "chill" beginnings. Album closer "Affliction" was an amazing surprise. Is that funk and blues music I hear mixed in? The beat creeps up inside you and suddenly you're grooving. Without leaving a trace, this album has slowly taken us miles away from where we started. Little did we know, after such a seemingly innocuous opener, such a highly satisfying journey in metal was in store.

Frontwoman Vicky Johnson has a sultry low voice. Fans of classical female singing should still enjoy this. Even if you prefer a soprano, Vicky can easily win you over with her very personal style. The rhythm section is responsible for keeping things moving and although they're not prominent in the mix, they definitely show themselves as the strong spine of this record. These guys are a huge reason why this album is a success. In fact, the entire mix deserves commendation. Keyboards are so well balanced that you don't immediately notice them, despite the fact that they're everywhere all the time. Court Of Conscience could easily have been ruined by drowning in keyboards, or in any of the instruments or vocals for that matter. All is balanced so as to create one sound, one effect, one experience.

It's nice to follow a band from the debut and see them have success. Among many other shows, they're set to headline the UK's Northern Symphony Festival this upcoming April, as well as play at the Dames of Darkness Festival a month later alongside Leaves' Eyes and Sirenia. Though their biggest success of all was finding their own voice with this lovely album.

Written on 09.11.2014 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 30 users
12.11.2014 - 18:10
Jason W.
Razorbliss
You're definitely right that Winter In Eden's music is a bit of a slow burn to enjoy! I'd seen the video track for "With Intent," and it really didn't move me first time around. But after a dozen listens in the past day it has really shown its charm Vicky's voice is interesting and moving, and those keyboards make a huge difference in the sound. Now time to hear the rest of the album in the coming days I also quite like the idea this this album will be a bit more laid back!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

Hits total: 3822 | This month: 12