07. Inked In Blood
08. Deny You
09. Within A Dying Breed
10. Minds Of The World
11. Out Of Blood
12. Paralyzed With Fear
13. Intoxicated [Deluxe Edition bonus]
14. Bloodsoaked [Deluxe Edition bonus]

One could be forgiven for ignoring Obituary's new album Inked In Blood. After all, how different can one expect it to be, given that the band effectively stalled their sound in 1990 and seldom bothered adding anything new? In some ways they would be right, but Inked In Blood somewhat rejuvenates the Obituary sound.

On the surface this is the Obituary we all know. However, there are some differences that make this a far more interesting release then the last spate of Obituary comeback albums.

Firstly, whilst the sound is typical Obituary in many ways, it actually sounds bouncier and more upbeat than usual. The key here is the production. The drum sound is far less flat than on previous albums. The guitar sound is trademark Obituary, but again sounds more immediate and energetic. And there are some delicious riffs and solos.

Secondly, the music is slightly groovier and, dare I say it, occasionally more melodic. There seems to be slightly more nods to thrash and conventional heavy metal with less pure death metal than on some of their previous efforts. There are still a few typical Obituary plodding dirges, especially in the middle of the album. They are not bad per se and the production helps, but one wishes they had a bit more pizazz.

In some ways Inked In Blood reminds me of Bolt Thrower's Those Once Loyal, in that whilst the music is essentially the same as always, subtle changes in sound and song writing result in a far more enjoyable listening experience than some of their previous newer albums. However, unlike Bolt Thrower's brilliant swansong, Obituary don't quite nail it due to occasionally derivative song writing and due to the fact that the makeover is in many ways more cosmetic than the deeper structural changes that Bolt Thrower underwent.

So five years after the rather average Darkest Days, Obituary find themselves rejuvenated on Inked In Blood. This is an album that won't disappoint long time fans and shows the old beast still has some life in it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by deadone | 13.11.2014

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 175 users
13.11.2014 - 18:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
7.7 isn't a bad score but seeing lot of 8s, 9s dropped in new death metal releases looks this as an average record. But, by Obituary parameters this really looks decent. In fact, 4th best album shine in Obituary's discography if we go by the ratings.

Will check this one out too.
13.11.2014 - 18:41
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Will check it out, though I've not particularly been moved by anything they've done since The End Complete.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.11.2014 - 15:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Man, back in the day I loved Slowly We Rot and Cause Of Death. I was a HUGE death metal fan. I am just not into it anymore. Thanks for the review...
----
rekt
20.07.2015 - 23:13
Andresopeth

Why there's no lyrics of this songs?
21.07.2015 - 03:06
Andresopeth

Written by deadone on 21.07.2015 at 02:11

Written by Andresopeth on 20.07.2015 at 23:13

Why there's no lyrics of this songs?

Coz no one's uploaded them yet.

Really?, it would have never ocurred to me :! - The question is cause this lyrics are so hard to find... i've search in other websites and it is the same...

Hits total: 5396 | This month: 12