02. State Of Persistence
03. The Giant And The Cow
04. Timelapse
05. Liar's Paradox
06. The Burning Of Methuselah
07. Redemption
08. The Furnace Creek
09. Ayahuasca

As Doc Godin astutely noted in his review of Adimiron's last album, this Italian quintet has a very distinctly Gojira sludgy-crunchy-grind thing going on. While its predecessor bore the unmistakable air of a band simply trying to ride the coattails of their heroes, Adimiron have really hit the ball out of the park with Timelapse.

Although I hesitate to claim that Adimiron have done any stylistic progression since K2, retaining the clearly derivative mélange that has consistently powered them, they have at least gotten much better at it. It becomes difficult to argue with a band's lack of originality when the results are so rewarding. In fact, they appear to have expanded their repertoire, including passages divined from Mastodon, Between The Buried And Me, and Tool to create something, if not recognizably their own, at least engaging and powerfully played.

The Gojira worship is tempered in some places by thoughtful, cleanly-sung Opeth-ian interludes and detonated in others by violent whirlwinds of percussive energy and violent riffing. Vocalist Andrea Spinelli demolishes these songs, adapting to suit every new mood and spilling out adrenaline-soaked, bold-faced, gritty growls and screams to hold his own against the crushing waves of demolishing riffs. His powerful voice leads every charge, but every member of this band works tirelessly to hold the sound together in a perfect, airtight juggernaut.

With the bellowing "Redemption," caustic "Liar's Paradox," and repetitive build of "Ayahuasca," Adimiron have spared no expense and pulled no punches on their fourth foray. They deftly weave through different strains of extremity, plugging different brands of powerful, metallic crunchiness as they see fit. There are even nods to the hardcore scene, perhaps best exemplified in "Furnace Creek."

The lesson here is that if you can't create your own style, you can still do someone else's very well. It might be derivative, but I sit here with a brilliant album blasting into my eardrums, and I'll be the last one to complain if an excellent song like "State Of Persistence" sounds a bit too much like another titanic band. Timelapse is easily among the strongest albums of 2014.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 3
Production: 8

Written on 16.11.2014 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 117 users
17.11.2014 - 03:42
Rupert

I just streamed it today (thanks to your review) - right from the get-go the vocals reminded me of a mix of Tool and Machine Head.
01.02.2015 - 20:51
Rating: 10
beba1

Crazy album...just in love with this band!
04.02.2015 - 12:32
Deadsoulman

Oddly enough, this album reminds me much more of Darkane (Expanding Senses/Layers of Lies era) than of Gojira. Especially the vocals. Pretty derivative indeed but really well done, so that's ok.

Hits total: 4931 | This month: 13