Album: Deliverance
Release date: November 2002

01. Wreath
02. Deliverance
03. A Fair Judgement
04. For Absent Friends
05. Master's Apprentices
06. By The Pain I See In Others

Sweden's premiere progressive black metal act Opeth have unleashed their most anticipated release to date, their sixth album, Deliverance. This release marks the first part of a projected two album instalment, with the second part Damnation due to be released in March.
Opeth first came into prominence with their fourth release Still Life back in 1999. But it was the follow up Blackwater Park in 2001 that really broke the band into the mainstream. So with expectations on high, Deliverance has to deliver the goods. And thankfully, the album is right up there as one of their best to date. Opeth have been reluctant to vary their unique style over their six albums [not to mention criticised], but there are some very noticeable changes within Deliverance.

The opening number ?Wreath? is both intense and without a doubt one of the heaviest moments in Opeth's recent history. Vocalist and guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt utilizes his best death metal growl throughout the track, while Martin Lopez's drum work simply amazes throughout the album. There's a great melodic solo around the three quarter mark, while it's only towards the end where there's any sign of letting up. No time is wasted as the title track soon follows up with the same aggressive path set before hand, but with melodic softer moments punctuating the heavier moments. There's more variation throughout this track, and is closest as the band gets to Blackwater Park. There's more than a hint of Steve Wilson's [Porcupine Tree] influence towards the end of the track too with the use of piano and the repetitive guitar riff. The sombre ?A Fair Judgement? has Steve Wilson stamped all over it, while still retaining the all-important Opeth sound. The doubled up vocals work remarkably well, proving Opeth's subtle moments of progression. After the short acoustic ?For Absent Friends? [the only track under the ten minute mark], the band return with the slow and heavy bludgeon of ?Master's Apprentices?. The blend of acoustic passages and brutal black has been perfected by Opeth in the past, but this track certainly seems to widen the gap between the extremes and pull them together at the most crucial of moments. The grand finale ?By The Pain I See In Others? is one of the most experimental numbers in Opeth history. The use of effects for Mikael's vocals is strange to say the least, while the many sections that make up the song [like the odd waltz breakdown half way through] seem to flow effortlessly, even though in theory it shouldn's.

Deliverance is by no means an instant album, but then again, which Opeth album is? What are apparent though, are the remarkable precision of the musicianship, the production [from Opeth and Steve Wilson] and the amazing depth of Mikael's song writing. While many are claiming Deliverance fails to break new ground, I for one simply hear plenty of progression on the album. This album marks huge steps forward for the band, which in turn will on put more heighten awareness for their next release in March.

Written by Justin | 18.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
danielllewis
Rating:
Opeth seems to be one of the most popular metal acts out there. I guess the reason for this is that their music is so accessible to fans of any sub genre seeing as they're progressive death metal. But with their 5th release, "Deliverance", the band have taken a much more death metal approach than usual, resulting in their heaviest album.

Read more ››
published 15.07.2009 | Comments (27)

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 235 users
11.02.2007 - 16:39
bLeaK_poiSoN
Account deleted
This album includes the worst band of Opeth. I think For Absent Friends should not be a part of Deliverance.
14.02.2007 - 06:44
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
definitly not worth a 9.9, great album, but can get kind of dry at some points, like any prog band. Still Life, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries were all better than this, and Id give them a 9 at most.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.03.2007 - 03:43
Blackwater Park
Account deleted
Agreeing with Dr.Rock on this one, not worthy of a 9.9 i'd say 8-9 just because the concept album Still life, shits all over it! None the less great album!
11.03.2007 - 04:20
Bitch Boy

Progressive black metal?? I know there are a couple of elements from black metal but we can't saw they are "prog black".

Anyway, I agree with the rest of the review, Deliverance is a very great and intense piece of work.
14.03.2007 - 06:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 11.03.2007 at 03:43

Agreeing with Dr.Rock on this one, not worthy of a 9.9 i'd say 8-9 just because the concept album Still life, shits all over it! None the less great album!

Still Life was a concept album? explain this to me, cus i didnt know it before.....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.03.2007 - 04:22
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
Great album!! Opeth is one of the few bands that can make 13 minute songs and not bore me...
31.03.2007 - 18:44
Blackwater Park
Account deleted
Quote:

Still Life was a concept album? explain this to me, cus i didnt know it before.....

Not meaning to sound stuck-up or anything here Dr. but it'll be more beneficial to use wikipedia, i speak to much shit, you wouldn't understand me..Basically its a story about love and murder, wikipedia that shit man!
all the best.
21.06.2007 - 16:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Damnation>Deliverance

This is still a great album, like all Opeth releases I've heard so far. This is probably not one of their best albums though. Good review.
----
16.10.2007 - 18:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I also think the rating is too high, I would give it a 9. Its not as good as other Opeth's releases, say Still Life, Blackwater Park or Orchid even but it is excellent nevertheless. Or maybe I just prefer them to Deliverance I don't know. Anyway its hard to compare Opeth albums, to decide which ones are better, thats the best thing you can say about them. I think I said that before too.

This album has very strong songs "wreath", "deliverance", "master's apprentices" being my favourites, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are the heaviest songs on the album. "deliverance" being probably one of the most recognizable opeth's songs. the vocals on "master's apprentices" are just stunning as are the lyrics. "a fair judgement" and "for absent friends" have beautiful melodies, they are intimate songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.03.2008 - 16:52
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Warman on 21.06.2007 at 16:05

Damnation>Deliverance
This is still a great album, like all Opeth releases I've heard so far. This is probably not one of their best albums though. Good review.

Mmmm I can't agree on that xD
This album owns Damnation IMO.. And not because the heavyness [because this is by far the most brutal and heaviest album by Opeth...] But because I see more progression in this album... It's very Original.
Damnation is quite monotonous sometimes [not always.. just sometimes @___@]

I listened today Deliverance and I did notice that It's an album that growns on you.
"Master's Apprentices" and "By The Pain I See In Others" [I love this track... It's just so damm strange and original] are probably my favorite of this album...
I give this album the rating: 8,8
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.03.2008 - 05:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
worst opeth album... just a few flashes of good melodies... avarege.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
01.07.2008 - 17:15
Rating: 10
-Soulreaper-

The album is really freaking good. If anyone slightly likes Opeth, I dont see how they could possible dislike this album.
17.11.2008 - 17:55
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
This album totally growns on me. It's not a nine, I'm sure of that. But it's still an awesome album by this guys. Master's Apprentices is a fucking killer.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.11.2008 - 22:28
DanielViking

It's a great album... but 9 is too much. maybe 8
25.12.2010 - 00:35
Rating: 10
BlankFile

I love this album because its fucken heavy and dark. Its Opeth at its best!
28.12.2010 - 02:01
opeth771

Wreath and A Fair Judgement are underrated songs
15.12.2011 - 20:10
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Not as good as the unbeatable Morningrise and the classics Still Life and (obviously) Blackwater Park, but almost as good as Ghost Reveries. This album contains some of their best riffs. I could headbang for a week in a row to Master's Apprentices. Though that would make drinking coffee a difficult task. Oh well, not even Opeth are perfect. 8.6/10

Hits total: 15095 | This month: 7