04. Madness Opus
05. Scorched Earth Policy
06. The Blackest Reaches
07. The Fix
08. United Helotry
09. Apex
10. Witch Trials
11. Sworn To The Black [Morbid Angel cover]

Revocation's self-titled album released in 2013 left me thinking two main things. The first being (aside from "Spastic") it was bad, and the second being despite its badness, the people in this band have the potential to drop a cataclysmic shit-wrecking album that would do the thrash and death genres proper justice.

Without dwelling on the past too much, here's a quick explanation for the self-titled album's badness: cringeworthy vocal performance, lack of memorability, and songs that dragged on without many exciting moments.

I'm really not sure what happened, but there's good news and a reason for mentioning all this - Revocation got their shit together. Every song on Deathless has more punch to it, there's an increased amount of detail and craftsmanship in the riffs more fitting of the gifted players in this band, and the vocals are vastly improved. As opposed to the "trying too hard to sound heavy" sound on the self-titled, they've gotten a bit raspier and fit the music better now. Granted, they still aren't perfect, but at the very least the vocals don't actively detract from the overall sound and flow of things. In general, everything seems sharper and more energized compared to the last effort.

If you know much about Revocation you know that regardless of if you like their music or not, these boys can play. On Deathless there is an important framework of good songwriting to apply this talent in. In fact, I think songwriting is really the biggest improvement from the self-titled. As opposed to something with a single standout track, there are standouts (which will probably vary person to person) but good moments to be had throughout the whole album too. Front to back, it's almost baffling how much better this album is than their last.

The weird thing about Deathless is that it's almost like Revocation got into my brain and systemically went about fixing what I didn't like about their last album. I don't think this is the truly earth-shattering cacophony of terror these guys are fully capable of (and I realize bands aren't put on the earth to satisfy my exact expectations and desires yet*) but this new album is more than just a step in the right direction. Hopefully Revocation's run on Metal Blade keeps trending up.

*5-10 years from now, smartphone app that scans your brain and generates the optimized ideal music for you. Just wait, my children.

Written by Mattybu | 20.11.2014

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 218 users
20.11.2014 - 23:24
Ilham
Giant robot
*Matty you're crazy but you're so cute.
20.11.2014 - 23:59
Susan
Smeghead
Clearly Matty has a secret basement laboratory where he's coordinating the end of the world and building smartphone apps to take over our brains.

Revocation's performance at Summer Slaughter last year was hugely memorable, and the guys were great to meet afterward. Glad this album rocks. I shall be checking it!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.11.2014 - 03:14
Mattybu

Yeah, people can call me crazy now, I'm sure that tune will change when they are on their knees begging for mercy, their fate in the hands of my mutant chinchilla army...

Yeah though, I saw Revocation live not so long ago (September) and they played a couple songs off this album. The sound at the show wasn't great for their set but they were going macho playing so it was reason to at least suspect this album would be better than the last. Even down to the album cover this is better, in comparison to the fugly one of their s/t.
21.11.2014 - 08:04
Rating: 7
Necrodamus

My thoughts exactly, and spot on about their self-titled too. Definitely a step up but still not into greatness territory... yet. Hopefully their opus is still cooking.
21.11.2014 - 12:12
Rating: 9
midland_don

I am ASTOUNDED that people are describing this album as mediocre!!
21.11.2014 - 15:25
Mattybu

Written by Necrodamus on 21.11.2014 at 08:04

My thoughts exactly, and spot on about their self-titled too. Definitely a step up but still not into greatness territory... yet. Hopefully their opus is still cooking.

Yeah, that's basically it. I can definitely appreciate this album for what it is, but unlike a lot of thrash bands who will come out of the gate hot and then fizzle out (creatively anyways) it's nice to have one that seems to be getting better beyond just their 2nd or 3rd album... Mind you Revocation isn't really the old school type of in your face take-your-lunch-money thrash I associate that pattern with the most, but still I think you get the idea.
14.10.2017 - 01:24
DRobichaud

Huh. The self-titled was my first, and still favourite album by Revocation. "Invidious" makes me want to set myself on fire. Found it significantly stronger than Deathless and Great Is Our Sin, though I enjoy both of those thoroughly (and more and more). Hm. Hmmmmmmmm. Interestiiiiiiiing.
----
Now is blessed, the rest remembered.

Hits total: 4655 | This month: 13