08. Malignia
09. The Future Is Dark
10. La Baphomette
11. Until We Are No Less [limited edition bonus]
12. Doomina [limited edition bonus]
13. Last Of Them [limited edition bonus]
14. The Past Is Darker [limited edition bonus]

Additional info
Produced, mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios in Stockholm and Örebro, Sweden, Fall 2014.
Guitar and bass recordings by David Castillo.
Mixing assistance and additional editing by Linus Corneliusson.
Pre-produced at Inferno Studios, Portugal, by Jens Bogren and Moonspell.

Cover and artwork by Seth Siro Anton.
Album design by Sara Vilhena.
Band photos by Edgar Keats.
Make up by Mara d'Elean (Sintra, Portugal).

Tracks 11 to 14 are "Re-Extinct (The Event Horizon Mixes)" limited edition bonus tracks.

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
N/A
I figured Extinct to be one of those albums that offer instant gratification; you know, the one that gets you smiling when you listen to it the first time around, evoking the same emotions over and over on each subsequent visit. Because this album is actually almost that good. But the more I listen to it, the less I can figure out and pinpoint that little something that rubs me the wrong way.

Read more ››
published 23.03.2015 | Comments (11)

Found in 59 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 61   Visited by: 1515 users
21.11.2014 - 20:15
Rating: 9
I like the song titles. Seems like it's gonna be a dark, mellow album.

I expect "The future is dark" to be an epic finisher on the lines of Full Moon Madness, though Moonspell's album closers have always been special (As We Eternally Sleep On It, A Greater Darkness, First Light, Best Forgotten)
02.01.2015 - 17:22
basquetal
First single from Extinct:

03.01.2015 - 18:48
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'm really not overly fond of The Last Of Us. It seems more Darkness And Hope oriented, while I wish it would be more in the direction of Memorial. But we'll see what the rest of the album will bring. *keeping fingers crossed*
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
02.02.2015 - 14:06
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I don't like the artwork, the song titles or the single.
I hope the rest of the songs are good.
02.02.2015 - 20:20
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
The title song is streaming over HERE. Much better than The Last Of Us. There still is hope, phew.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
04.02.2015 - 17:14
garmling
Account deleted
Written by AnGina-- on 02.02.2015 at 20:20

The title song is streaming over HERE. Much better than The Last Of Us. There still is hope, phew.

http://www.amazon.it/Extinct-Deluxe-Version-Moonspell/dp/B00STHTIPE/ref=tmm_msc_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

And here are samples of all songs... after The Last of Us I was suspicious, but after listening title song and these samples my hope is definitely restored
04.02.2015 - 20:36
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Guest on 04.02.2015 at 17:14

And here are samples of all songs... after The Last of Us I was suspicious, but after listening title song and these samples my hope is definitely restored

Thank you for this. Let's wait nao.
----
05.02.2015 - 01:38
Written by Guest on 04.02.2015 at 17:14

http://www.amazon.it/Extinct-Deluxe-Version-Moonspell/dp/B00STHTIPE/ref=tmm_msc_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Thanks for this. I'm excited now. I can see 4 or 5 great songs coming our way out of this. fingers crossed!
19.02.2015 - 17:09
Rating: 8
Rasa
After hearing the samples of all the songs it feels like they are striking for Darkness and Hope kind of vibe with some heavy riffage here and there. One of the songs even sounds reminiscent of The Butterfly Effect with that distinct vocal effect. Exciting!
25.02.2015 - 07:27
So, any reviews yet? who's got an early edition of the album?
03.03.2015 - 11:23
garmling
Account deleted
Written by The Melting Snow on 25.02.2015 at 07:27

I have! And imo this is just wonderful album! They reinvented themselves once again! All songs have something of their own and you can hear homage to every of their past albums here and there, but those are just moments, there are many more to it! Every song has something to stuck in your head for awhile, e.g: Medusalem with fantastic solo bridge weaving together with oriental classical parts, or Malignia with it's mystical parts and wonderful refrain, or calm Domina with it's wonderful refrain and breathtaking solo again.... I can go on and on, so much praise for this!
03.03.2015 - 13:53
Written by Guest on 03.03.2015 at 11:23

I have! And imo this is just wonderful album! They reinvented themselves once again! All songs have something of their own and you can hear homage to every of their past albums here and there, but those are just moments, there are many more to it! Every song has something to stuck in your head for awhile, e.g: Medusalem with fantastic solo bridge weaving together with oriental classical parts, or Malignia with it's mystical parts and wonderful refrain, or calm Domina with it's wonderful refrain and breathtaking solo again.... I can go on and on, so much praise for this!

wow, sounds promising. I'm hearing a lot about the guitar solos. Ricardo always does 1 or 2 great ones per album. I thought he'd done his share with the title track. Looks like he went beyond himself this time. *thumbs up*
03.03.2015 - 15:01
garmling
Account deleted
Written by The Melting Snow on 03.03.2015 at 13:53

Written by Guest on 03.03.2015 at 11:23

wow, sounds promising. I'm hearing a lot about the guitar solos. Ricardo always does 1 or 2 great ones per album. I thought he'd done his share with the title track. Looks like he went beyond himself this time. *thumbs up*

Yes he is, he finally unleashed his full on potential on this one....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXOcCJCB-hA
Here, hear it for yourself, but hurry up, they might take it down
05.03.2015 - 18:39
I've heard the first 4 tracks so far. Immensely pleased. Each song is very different from the other. The vocals, lyrics, instrumentation are awesome so far. This is the best stuff released by Moonspell in a long long time.

PS. Domina is a heart-breaker. the guitar solo is beautiful.
06.03.2015 - 05:41
Rating: 7
Kinetic
What's up with the rehashed artwork ever since Night Eternal?
The one in NE looked like an imposing piece of art. It actually looked good unlike the PS overdose of the last two albums.

As for Extinct, I do like a few of their songs and I do appreciate that they're back in trying to redefine themselves but this one didn't do it for me. Nor the previous three albums to be honest. Memorial was good but I miss the production quality of The Antidote. There was a certain genuine feeling to their older works that I miss. In some regard this album is probably closer in capturing that essence than the last ones and that's what is giving me hope for the next one. I hope they keep this trend.

Best Songs for me: Medusalem; Domina; La Baphomette; Doomina.

P.S.: F. Ribeiro clean vocals are good in this album but the lyrics in a few songs are quite poorly written. The last track being the prime example of such. Sometimes I wonder how Ricardo would fare in a more progressive band than Moonspell. More and more I feel that he's a notch above the rest. The songs suffer of the same structure of the previous albums because of this need of having vocals filling at least a third of every track. It would be interesting to see these guys not having that restriction for once.
06.03.2015 - 19:27
s_t_s
I'm currently listening to a Moonspell album for the first time of my life and so far I have to say I'm enjoying it, tho it truly lacks brutal touches but I'm not over with the full album yet, so let's dive back into it !
08.03.2015 - 08:14
Rating: 5
Coma666
Very Disappointing Only Breathe and Medusalem you can listen to the other songs just plain and simple no dark tunes here just drifting to commercial song writing like many other bands.
08.03.2015 - 09:41
Joe Zombie
Nice album. Decidedly more accessible and not as heavy as their past works. Still a treat to listen to and a handful of great tunes. Favorites: Breathe, Extinct, Domina, The Future Is Dark.
09.03.2015 - 09:57
Rating: 10
azhidahakk
Do you hear the lady is singing persian in the song "Medasalem" around 3:25 ?
the album is so stunning <3 \,,/
09.03.2015 - 17:56
Written by azhidahakk on 09.03.2015 at 09:57

Yeah I noticed that. translation please?
10.03.2015 - 10:16
ke ke
Written by The Melting Snow on 09.03.2015 at 17:56

Written by azhidahakk on 09.03.2015 at 09:57

Yeah I noticed that. translation please?

"Land of milk and honey...land of sadness and pain...golden sands painted red with blood...I'll free you...from chains and locks"

note:Land of milk and honey:The original expression, "a land flowing with milk and honey", is a reference in the Hebrew Bible to the agricultural abundance of the Land of Israel
10.03.2015 - 12:01
CrowKiller
Stunning album. Really enjoying this. Won't be putting it down anytime soon.
11.03.2015 - 21:05
HyperDrifter
Great album showing Moonspells calmer side! It could have done with few heavier aggressive songs to balance it a bit more though...still great to listen!
13.03.2015 - 13:05
robpal
Proglord
Very good album. Fernando's clean vocals are fantastic, symphonic elements fit just fine.
13.03.2015 - 16:35
Therapy?
Funny... my brother actually said I should check this out. He is an immense fan of the Wolfheart album which I listened to long ago but don't care much for (and since then I never got around to check back at this band). But this album is rock solid. I'm going to check them out live tonight since my brother really wanted to go. I don't think I will regret it.
13.03.2015 - 17:38
Written by Therapy? on 13.03.2015 at 16:35

I'm going to check them out live tonight since my brother really wanted to go. I don't think I will regret it.

So how was the live performance? Which new songs did they play?
13.03.2015 - 17:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by The Melting Snow on 13.03.2015 at 17:38

Written by Therapy? on 13.03.2015 at 16:35

I'm going to check them out live tonight since my brother really wanted to go. I don't think I will regret it.

The live show is tonight, so he doesn't know, yet.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2015 - 22:07
robpal
Proglord
Written by The Melting Snow on 13.03.2015 at 17:38

From the new album they play: Breathe (Until We Are No More), Extinct, Medusalem, Domina, The Last Of Us, Malignia, Funeral Bloom and The Future Is Dark.
Setlist for this tour looks just epic (check http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/moonspell/2015/doornroosje-nijmegen-netherlands-1bcbe1c8.html ).

Gonna see them in Paris, can't wait.
13.03.2015 - 22:47
Wow, that's a great setlist. makes sense to play songs off the new album with songs from Irreligious
15.03.2015 - 11:31
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
The artwork and the bonus tracks are really bad, but the rest of the album is rather enjoyable. I'm rather surprised...
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 36823 | This month: 59