08. Throughout The Moment
09. Woven Imbalance
10. Boundless Intent (Part 1)
11. Boundless Intent (Part 2)
12. Subject To Change
13. Event Duality
14. Audio Synthesis
15. Reconditioned

This is actually the first time I ever hear about Alarum, I'm glad I did though, this band creates Progressive Metal in the vein of Cynic and early Sceptic and they do a great job when it comes to the music; I really liked the way these guys execute their instruments, everything regarding the sound and the overall music is almost flawless, but damn it, the vocals appeared with a really weird high-pitched shriek and screwed things up badly.

What can I say about this kind of bands? Not much only that I hate when a really good band (music wise) fucks their album by adding bad vocalizations. Let me say that the music is worthy though, I'm even sure I'll hear this album now and then and even constantly due to the admirable musicianship; songs like Sustained Connection or Reconditioned will blow your brains out with all the complexity wrapping them, those tracks have everything a music fan could ask for, progression in the structures, layered scales, awesome execution of each instrument and the best sound I've heard in a long time.

I'll leave the vocals aside because the most important thing with Alarum is actually their music, even though the vocals are bad, I'll limit myself to talk only about the musical capabilities this band has and shows in their record. Eventuality has almost every genre metal music knows of, chaotic violence in Inertial Grind, powerful and progressive melodies (similar to Dream Theater) in Woven Imbalance, gloomy even depressive atmospheres in Lost Pleiad and I could go on forever; the fact is that this album will be praised by many metal-heads no matter the genre they love, the versatility in this album will fit correctly in every mind searching for different kind musical expressions and experimentations.

I'm more than impressed by the songwriting, it's not easy at all to write this kind of progressions and limitless environments, so I really recommend this album to everyone, and I mean it when I say everyone because no matter what your tastes are you'll surely like the music presented in this CD; I hope the band can and will change the vocals, that day I will be able to call Alarum a perfect band.

Best Tracks: "Sustained Connection", "Reconditioned", "Remote Viewing".

Written by Herzebeth | 28.01.2006

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 11 users
21.11.2014 - 21:03
Luneth
Account deleted
Definitely a more out there progressive choice but I agree. My mind was blown when I heard this band a few weeks ago while searching bands like cynic on Deezer. Boundless pt 2 came up and the rest is history, got the album. The vocals do seem unnecessary though, they spoil the music at times and its of such a high quality.

Hits total: 3009 | This month: 8