Metal Storm logo
My Personal Favourites Of Year 2014

Thumbs up: +3
Here is a small list of the albums that I've found the most remarkable this year. I don't mean to say that they are the best released this year, but definitely the ones that gave me the most pleasant listening time.
Also, the list is subject to change so feel free to check out the changes from time to time.

Created by: NocturnalStalker | 17.08.2014

1. Septicflesh - Titan
The task of reaching or overcoming the level of The Great Mass proved to be a titanic one. It's debatable whether the Greek symphonic extremists managed to achieve it with this album, but there is no doubt that they worked really hard to come up with a collection of epic and unique opuses.
2. Devin Townsend - Casualties Of Cool
Actually, it's not really a Devin Townsend album, but rather a new project of his. The spacey mix of country and blues sounds weird enough, but, accompanied by the even more peculiar duet of Devin Townsend himself and Ché Aimee Dorval, who already contributed to his Ki album, get both engaging and captivating.
3. Arkona - Явь
The way that Arkona matured over the years made me keep my eyes close on the band. After all, there are not that many metal bands in my country that get recognition of metalheads all over the world. Sure, there are quite a lot folk/pagan metal bands with female vocals in this wide world, but there is only one Arkona - the band that takes both their music and lyrics seriously and puts a lot of hard work into it. Явь shows that Masha's words about searching for new ways to express themselves in the music were true. This album must be the most epic and grandiose record they've done so far.
4. Joe Satriani - Joe Satriani: The Complete Studio Recordings
Technically, it's not a new album. Actually, it's not even an album, but a complete collection of Joe Satriani studio recordings. As an ardent admirer of Satch I just couldn't miss out on this fine piece of musical jewelry. This box will take you on a trip through the evolution of this guitar-wielding genius.
5. Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
I remember getting really disappointed when Celtic Frost, one of the bands I respect a lot, broke up after releasing the magnificent Monotheist. Luckily, Tom Warrior decided to tread on a new path with a new collective known as Triptykon. I must confess, though, that no matter how much I liked the first work of a band, it was Melana Chasmata that really managed to drop me off my feet with its shear power, brutal, primordial energy and atmosphere of an abandoned crypt in the moors at night illuminated only by dim moonlight.
6. Gazpacho - Demon
My wife being Spanish I'm not unfamiliar with the taste of gazpacho, a drink made of fresh vegetables that serves to make you feel refreshed on a hot day, quench your thirst and satiate your hunger. The music of this Norwegian band lives up to its name. It's delicious and satisfying, if you have a thirst for some well-done progressive rock.
7. Behemoth - The Satanist
After the hard fight Nergal had for his life, I had little doubts that he would soon get back on his feet and record one hell of a killer album. Curious, but, as far back as I can remember, I always liked a new Behemoth album more than a previous one. Evangelion being my band's all-time favourite work, the plank for its successor was being set pretty high. And The Satanist really lived up to its grand name sounding like an epitome of all the seven deadly sins.
8. Kypck - Имена На Стене
This album I consider to be the best band's work for the moment. The reason is all the songs fit well, yet there are some real standout tracks, such as the title track and Дети Биркенау, which has some really heavy lyrics. If you don't dislike doom metal, give this album a try. I guess, Kypck is the first metal band that managed to capture that strange, self-destructing spirit that seems to possess Russian people.
9. Opeth - Pale Communion
My love for Opeth is nothing new and that makes me wait for every new album with anxiety. What if I get disappointed in the band? Luckily, it didn't happen even once so far. Despite the stylist change on Heritage I managed to get into that album pretty easily and found among the tracks some that became my all-time Opeth favourites (like The Devil's Orchard and Folklore). The same thing happened to me after listening to Pale Communion a couple of times. The difference is that, while Heritage, as its name suggests, paid a tribute to many old bands that inspired Mikael and Co., the new record sounds to my ears more like Opeth doing their own kind of retro prog rock (with the exception of Goblin track).

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by NocturnalStalker ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 5   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 31 users
24.11.2014 - 17:55
Sand

What do you mean "to capture that strange, self-destructing spirit that seems to possess Russian people"?
----
Non serviam
06.12.2014 - 09:24
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Sand on 24.11.2014 at 17:55

What do you mean "to capture that strange, self-destructing spirit that seems to possess Russian people"?

Well, it's quite hard to put into words. You'd better read some books by Dostoevsky to understand it. He is the author that, in my opinion, managed to catch that nature.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
07.12.2014 - 12:50
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Guest on 06.12.2014 at 14:51

I think I know what you mean, but I also have no idea how to verbalise it. Got me interested in that album.

I'm glad, because it was just my point - to make people get interested in listening to that album.
----
08.12.2014 - 17:16
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Guest on 08.12.2014 at 02:16

So I listened to it. It's a decent album but I don't think it accurately captures the very particular, eccentric nature of a typical Russian.

I agree, but I doubt that it's possible to capture the Russian essence (or the essence of any other tribe) in one song or one album. What Kypck seem to be trying to accomplish is to show the personal drama of different people.
----
09.01.2015 - 22:41
elgin
Account deleted
Wovenhand!!:thumbup:

Hits total: 1217 | This month: 4