Metal Storm logo
Favourite Moments In Songs

25.11.2014 - 15:06
Tzo87
Music lover
We all have had those special moments, while listening to a song. They may be just 3 sequential notes in a guitar solo, a high pitched scream, an intro that gives you the chills etc., that are forever carved in our hearts and minds. The purpose of this topic is to gather those moments and share them with other people - and maybe describe how they make us feel. I think it would be nice to focus on these moments and not make it a "this song is awesome" topic.

I will start by posting a part from the song "Kingdom Of The Fearless (The Destruction Of Troy)", by the band Virgin Steele. I feel that the singer, David DeFeis, is really putting his soul on this song, and towards the end, the way he screams the lyrics accompanied by his backing falsetto vocals, makes it truly remarkable...

Time: 6:20 and onwards

"Kingdom of the fearless - kingdom of Gods
Light up the sky, light up the world as we run
Kingdom of the fearless - kingdom of Gods
Light up the sky, light up the world as we...
Ride like thunder, down from the plains
Over the mountains, bronze, shield and flame
None can withstand hatred unmasked
In blood shall pay!

I kill you all...
Die, by the blood of the Gods!
By the blood on my sword!
You sleep in Hell!
Die! Die! Die!
"

----
"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
25.11.2014 - 22:33
Wingtorte

Great topic idea! Often its those moments that can make a song one of those you just have to listen on repeat lol

Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror is one of many for me. The part of the lyrics that says "you're a damned kind can't you see, that tomorrow bears insanity!" and the riff that follows it becomes mandatory to headbang like a madman after that. And in the same song the verse:

"Shall I leave my friends alone
Hidden in my twilight hall
I know the world is lost in fire
Sure there is no way to turn it
Back to the old days
Of bliss and cheerful laughter
We're lost in barren lands
Caught in the running flames
Alone
How shall we leave the lost road
Time's getting short so follow me
A leader's task so clearly
To find a path out of the dark"

Again just makes me lose my mind lol

09.12.2014 - 15:16
Tzo87
Music lover
Here's another one of my (million ) favourite moments in metal music. As a fan of powerful and anthemic melodies, this time I chose something from the band Grave Digger, their 1999 album entitled Excalibur, and the song "Pendragon".

After the instrumental break in 2:21, the guitar solo starts dynamically in 2:46, bursts into a melodic/sing-along melody in 2:58, continues with a heavier and faster guitar playing approach, and ends with an intense tapping and a pickscratch that give their place to another break. This blows me away everytime, and gets my adrenaline flowing! If you're a fan of melodic heavy/power metal, you should check it out at maximum volume!

----
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
11.12.2014 - 08:33
Ganondox

Off the top of my head, the scream in "Dissection - Where Dead Angels Lie".
11.12.2014 - 16:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

6:08 onwards *.*
The song suddenly turns into some kind of disco with harsh vocals, and plus has that keyboard solo aihdiahdaisjai
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.12.2014 - 17:54
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Nice idea. It's interesting when a lot of people agree on these. So far on this thread I agree with the epic ending of "Kali".

Some I can recall are:

@ 5:13 my fucking favorite riff of all time kicks in and always get chills as soon as the growls start.

@10:30 That headbanger riff starts followed by a impecable vocal delivery by Russell. I think you need to listen from @9:05 to get the full effect though.

Also on Agalloch's "The Mantle" on the transition from "Hawthorne Passage"'s ending with the Mexican movie excerpt to "...And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth"'s beautiful intro
20.12.2014 - 08:32
hazardinnio

One of all time-favs, Necrophagist's Advanced Corpse Tumor solo.
28.03.2015 - 15:24
Tzo87
Music lover
Another favourite moment. In 1:23, the singer, Lou Taylor takes a breath and - with that one breath - makes a small vocal play, then reaches a G#5 note, adds vibrato, and holds the note. All that, in 38 seconds of great energy!!

----
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
30.03.2015 - 13:48
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
That jazzy partat 5:48 is just brilliant

The moment at 8:07 is beyond incredible

The part at 7:38 always gives me the chills
07.04.2015 - 20:33
Dead Eternity
Account deleted
I have millions and millions of favorite moments too. But for now, this is all I can remember:

Sepultura - R.I.P. (Rest In Pain)
Bizarre (yet funny) ending (4:10 onwards)

Orphaned Land - The Kiss Of Babylon
(3:33 - 5:48)
Na na na na na na na na na na

Unforgettable part off Mabool. I always sing along, and it takes so long for the 'na na na's to end. The parts with double bass drums make me want to jump. It starts with a duet, then there's only Kobi, and then there's an epic solo to close the song.

Carcass - Incarnated Solvent Abuse
Michael Amott's melodic solo at 3:32

Highest point of the song. I love the whole song, but the transition to that part is pure genius and has so much feeling and melody. Amott makes his guitar weep.

Annihilator - Ligeia
Insane shredding at 3:30

Mercyful Fate - Nightmare
(4:47)
You are insaane! You are insaane! You are insaane! You are insaane! Ah ha ha ha ha! Ah ha ha ha ha!

King Diamond's high pitched singing at that point is chilling.
08.10.2015 - 20:25
Sang Dalang Abu

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness.

I love this song so much....... at 3:23 until 6:53. CAN YOU HEAR IT? CAN YOU HEAR IT? CAN YOU!! HEAR?!! IT???!!

There is a Darkness here
You cannot imagine, you cannot fathom
It speaks to me in tongues
Can you hear it?

I've built my tower of songs
From words as bitter splintered bone
Gnarled and wretched, spiteful and harsh
I've cursed the vermin, the vermin of the earth
I've wished pestilence upon the foul and weak
Not just men, but woman and children too
With a rusted blade across their throats

I've played the tyrant's hand against the rhyme and reason of fools
I've prayed to sickly children in their blackened cities of filth
You say you know me? Do you?
I'm the poison in your veins
My Faith it is not welcome here

29.12.2015 - 09:23
jrod916

Written by Guest on 11.12.2014 at 14:02

A pretty long moment but a moment nevertheless. 3:03 onwards

Just listened to that. Really fantastic (especially the bass). It's already in my iTunes library

For me, Killswitch Engage's Reject Yourself song has a scream at 2:54 that will rock my world as long as I'm alive.
2:46 to 3:09 is the best part of it all. The way that the song's bridge gives the illusion of serenity, and the way it's shattered by the band playing and screaming and firing on all cylinders. That scream is just the most beautiful thing ever recorded.
----
Pretty much the living embodiment of the "Child Metalhead" meme, minus the Asking Alexandria fetish.

Metal Elitists ruin what could be a united and appreciative fanbase.
#EndMetalElitism #EndPoliticalCorrectness #EndAndyBallsack'sLife
29.12.2015 - 13:56
Netzach
Planewalker
The three cowbell strikes at ~6.40 in Moonsorrow's Karhunkynsi was the first thing that came to mind.

29.12.2015 - 14:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Netzach on 29.12.2015 at 13:56

The three cowbell strikes at ~6.40 in Moonsorrow's Karhunkynsi was the first thing that came to mind.

The ending of that somg is the most amazing. Like, from about 8:37 onwards.
It just completely changes all the mood the song has been building, and all the folk turns into agressive black metal.
I love Moonsorrow =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.12.2015 - 14:34
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Karlabos on 29.12.2015 at 14:16

Written by Netzach on 29.12.2015 at 13:56

The ending of that somg is the most amazing. Like, from about 8:37 onwards.
It just completely changes all the mood the song has been building, and all the folk turns into agressive black metal.
I love Moonsorrow =]

Yeah, it's like an ancient tribal ritual gone to hell because the rival tribe started murdering everybody or they accidentally summoned a vengeful spirit or something. Or maybe a bear started mauling everybody (song is called "Bear's Claw after all). But I can't remember what the lyrics are about. Can't wait for their next album even though I don't think it will beat Verisäkeet. When I first heard the song, and they just kept playing faster and faster, it was almost unbearable to listen to, but now it's just cathartic.

Woops, fucked up the quoting bad there. Fixed it.