Style: Atmospheric doom metal
Release date: May 2014

01. You Went So Silent
02. If These Walls Could Speak [feat. Ben Ellis & Jón Aldará]
03. Heaven Was Blind To My Grief
04. A Glimpse Of Sorrow [feat. Pim Blankenstein]
05. The Deep Vast Emptiness
06. Even If I Fall

I personally believe that the author of a review must use the least of subjective criticism but it seems that it is not that easy when it comes to an album like Doliu.

It might be wrong to explain my own personal experience of this album as a review but this is how I came across Clouds. Some albums become the snapshot of moments, and here is the snapshot by Doliu.

I have no idea why on earth a person can always feel more melancholic in summer while the rest of world is always happier in this time of year; nevertheless, it was one of those insomniac nights in summer while those gloomy feelings were overwhelming. Then I played this album, which my friend had already posted on my Facebook page around the time when it was released, but I had never bothered to give a listen until that night.

And do you know what made me curious about them this time? At first glance, the titles of their songs, which were suiting my mood and were alluring me to hear the whole album.

Surprisingly the titles of songs were not just a name for only labeling them, but actually those titles were fitting the sound superbly. The sound that I would describe it in brief: "gloomy, beautiful, melodic, doom-y."

When I noticed the people who contributed to creating this brilliant and artful album then it was no big surprise anymore to hear such huge amazement in one album with only six songs, and that all of them are majestically very unforgettable.

Doliu is a momentous milestone in doom metal; it sounds like an incarnation of Shape Of Despair, Officium Triste, Rapture and Pantheïst sounds. Not just because these musicians as Clouds are all more or less related to those bands I mentioned, but because these musicians somehow presented the tunes from their previous bands in a more sophisticated way in Doliu.

As if they borrowed maybe the smallest but the most substantial elements from their previous experiences and these elements were used in a new process of creativity in Doliu, so that the songs sound fresh and catchy but nothing unfamiliar. The doom metal guitar riffs, catchy guitar solos in minor scales, very beautiful yet sorrowful piano passages and intros, mesmerizing clean vocals with such impressive tone, poetic words grieving a loss, intense growling vocals, post-rock-ish vibes, that were blended very intelligently.

Thank you Clouds, thank you so much for Doliu. If These Walls of my room Could Talk, then they would tell you that what indescribable experience I had listening to your album. Doliu was excellent unforgettable company for me in that insomniac summer night.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by angel. | 22.11.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 91 users
26.11.2014 - 12:42
Frodd
Account deleted
Interesting. I shall give it a listen.

(also I saw what you did tharr in the last paragraph )

((also also have you listened to Kauan's latest? It's right up your alley))
26.11.2014 - 21:54
Rating: 9
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 26.11.2014 at 12:42

Interesting. I shall give it a listen.

(also I saw what you did tharr in the last paragraph )

((also also have you listened to Kauan's latest? It's right up your alley))

I will check it out
----
The Fangirl.
27.11.2014 - 16:49
Frodd
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 26.11.2014 at 21:54

I will check it out

listened to doliu, very good stuff. the clean vocals kind of reminded me of the foreshadowing.

how did you like kauan?
27.11.2014 - 22:38
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 27.11.2014 at 16:49

how did you like kauan?

I'll tell you.
----
The Fangirl.
15.12.2014 - 13:31
Monolithic
♠♠♠
A wonderful review. Pretty much agree with how they blended every element.
15.12.2014 - 13:43
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Monolithic on 15.12.2014 at 13:31

A wonderful review. Pretty much agree with how they blended every element.

Thanks a lot, I'm so glad you've read it.
----
The Fangirl.
21.01.2015 - 16:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There is a reason why I checked this band out , not disappointed at all, good album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.01.2015 - 09:40
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Now that I read this again I so much regret that I didn't mention anything about Déhà, damn ! Why did I totally forget about it, it's a big downside.
----
The Fangirl.
24.01.2015 - 00:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 23.01.2015 at 09:40

Now that I read this again I so much regret that I didn't mention anything about Déhà, damn ! Why did I totally forget about it, it's a big downside.

happens to me as well, I many time forgot what I want to write, its best record it but ...
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2015 - 16:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Listened to it during the awards nomination process... sadly I liked the review more than the album. nice work.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.02.2015 - 16:18
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by BitterCOld on 05.02.2015 at 16:05

Listened to it during the awards nomination process... sadly I liked the review more than the album. nice work.

Too bad, but thank you for reading the review, you don't like none of the doom bands mentioned above? Shape of Despair, Officium Triste or Pantheist, or maybe Some of Deha's projects ? I'm not sure but I think if you're any interested in those bands then you would definitely love this too.
----
The Fangirl.
05.02.2015 - 16:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by angel. on 05.02.2015 at 16:18

Too bad, but thank you for reading the review, you don't like none of the doom bands mentioned above? Shape of Despair, Officium Triste or Pantheist, or maybe Some of Deha's projects ? I'm not sure but I think if you're any interested in those bands then you would definitely love this too.

Fan of OT, have reviewed a couple of their releases rather favorably. Shape of Despair i liked the first album of theirs I heard, was a bit of an ease in to more extreme doom acts. But Doom is, to me, a genre that centers largely around emotions and the band's ability to convey and connect that emotion to the listener. Everyone's state is different, so what connects to you might miss me entirely and vice-versa.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.02.2015 - 16:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by angel. on 05.02.2015 at 16:18

This is not Deha's band/project, this is Daniel Neagoe's (Eye Of Solitude).
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2015 - 16:28
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2015 at 16:23

Yes I know but he's been part of this project.
----
The Fangirl.
05.02.2015 - 16:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by angel. on 05.02.2015 at 16:28

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2015 at 16:23

Yes I know but he's been part of this project.

But all the others participating come from better known bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2015 - 23:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

seems you have more time as I have, but I agree I did tried all nominated bands , during process and when voting opened, I didn't like this so much, there are better albums and bands
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 7022 | This month: 4