Metal Storm logo
Vertution & Unvoid - Luleå, Sweden, November 2014

Written by: Bad English
Published: 29.11.2014

On a Halloween eve in the dark, cold and freezing Luleå where 2 local bands were playing live in a small venue called Lillan. This time there were no tavern wenches, no flying witches, no weird looking pumpkins and weird events (unless you'd consider putting Christmas decorations on Halloween night normal, as one house owner did). Just Heavy metal.

The entrance was free, but only 30 people showed up. And people say nothing metal and alternative music-related happens here in Luleå (yes I do complain myself because of the low number of concerts but I do attend all free ones).

OK back to business: Vertution is a heavy metal band from Luleå; I saw them once before and they played mainly Iron Maiden and Iced Earth covers. I don't remember song titles now, but musically it was damn awesome. Back to today, they have been writing their own songs and played 4 of those live. One title was No Man's Lands, a long song that was a mixture of a ballad and HM elements, and it was simply kick ass, old school sounding . Maybe we should use a new terminology? Like ''new wave of Swedish old school heavy metal''?

Four original songs plus one Iron Maiden cover, I think it was Revelations. The performance was awesome, I thought it sounded like a studio recording because of the damn great quality guitars, bass, and drums. Only thing that I can complain about is the vocals, but it was the same as all live gigs, show me a singer who can do the same singing live as they can in the studio (maybe some opera singer with a weird mustache and weird looking suit that modern men even don't know how to put on). Also the x factor about unknown songs is if you don't know lyrics, live gigs can be harder to understand and hear what the bands are saying. In the Iced Earth and W.A.S.P. gigs I went to some time ago I could sing along, here I could not, except maybe on the Maiden cover. Anyway, I wish there could be more gigs and demos online asap.

Jonathan Karlsson - Vocals
Samuel Dean - Guitar
Kristoffer Karlsson - Guitar
Björn Edlund - Drums
Sebastian Karlsson - Bass

Facebook
Soundcloud
Myspace

Unvoid - a band from Piteå. Hard to label this genre because I hate giving names to genres that go out of traditional death, thrash, heavy, speed, doom, black, gothic and so on. Modern day alternative bands are hard to label. It was a mix between aggressive guitar riffs and softer guitar sound, growls and calmer female vocal parts.

In the beginning I did not understand whether she was singing in Swedish or English, again live singing problem (maybe Tarja or Floor Jensen don't have this problem). Anyway, they played 5 songs and 2 of those were from their demo. I guess those songs were Relieved Of Absence and Envy Of Gratitude.

Line up:
Lisa Bjernhagen - Vocals
Emil Landström - Guitar
Jacob Edström - Guitar
Linnéa Burman - Bass
Martin Trygg - Drums

Facebook
Soundcloud

I could not take pictures or film the live performance so I borrowed pictures from both bands' Facebook pages.

Thanks to Susan, Øyvind, Ilham, and hanna of steel for help, advice and proofreading.

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 33 users
29.11.2014 - 03:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.11.2014 - 03:18
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Bad English on 29.11.2014 at 03:05

Nice

commenting your own article?
Anyway, nice to see you posting something
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
29.11.2014 - 03:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 29.11.2014 at 03:18

Written by Bad English on 29.11.2014 at 03:05

Nice

commenting your own article?
Anyway, nice to see you posting something

I wrote it my self, ask Susan
anyway ... I could write more if Jooe wont have dentist and hairdresser appoiment
but seriously if someone proofreads and if I have time I might write something but there not so much gigs and events so ...
----

apos;'
[image]
29.11.2014 - 08:27
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Oh congratulations!
----
The Fangirl.
29.11.2014 - 12:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 29.11.2014 at 08:27

Oh congratulations!

danke
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 2024 | This month: 5