12. Rawhide [Ned Washington cover] [digipak & vinyl bonus]
13. Warmetal [Barathrum cover] [digipak & vinyl bonus]
14. Candour And Lies [digipak & vinyl bonus]
15. Bonus Song [digipak & vinyl bonus]

The Best Folk / Pagan / Viking Metal Album Of 2015

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
We all know how Unsung Heroes turned out (probably best left... unsung). Such a reception always creates a great deal of apprehension over the successor. Now, I don't want to become embroiled in a hype war and claim irresponsibly that Ensiferum really put their noses to the grindstone and hit one out of the park... but let's just say that One Man Army shows a marked improvement.

Read more ››
published 10.02.2015 | Comments (27)

Found in 34 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 1072 users
01.12.2014 - 01:55
Rating: 9
Sword_Chant

Hope this one doesn't become another Unsung Heroes?
01.12.2014 - 03:35
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Sword_Chant on 01.12.2014 at 01:55

It's fun to dream, isn't it?
06.12.2014 - 23:28
taurren

I don't dislike Unsung Heroes
22.12.2014 - 11:30
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
The last three tracks are an entity, called... Heathen Throne Pt III
28.01.2015 - 18:30
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Heard it now. It definitely sounds better than Unsung Heroes. Production is clear, but organic. They have added a few dynamics here and there, but overall this is the same territory that they and others have treaded many times before...right down the stone. There is a sense of energy and fun on tracks like Heathen Horde and Warrior Without a War, but the recycled melodies and very average playing are constantly gnawing away at my experience. If every song was as good and different as 2 of Spades, this could be something. For those who have never heard a previous album, you will probably think this is incredible. Full review here
Enjoyability=7.5
Musicianship=6
Innovation=6
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
08.02.2015 - 14:15
Sword_Chant

Written by Guest on 01.12.2014 at 03:35

Written by Sword_Chant on 01.12.2014 at 01:55

It's fun to dream, isn't it?

Well One Man Army and Heathen Horde are both better than most of Unsung Heroes, I doubt it'll live up to their first 2 albums though.
16.02.2015 - 17:18
Lit.
Account deleted
Doesn't sound any different from Unsung Heroes, really. This band really hit the wall.
16.02.2015 - 17:49
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 16.02.2015 at 17:18

Doesn't sound any different from Unsung Heroes, really. This band really hit the wall.

Bollocks. Give any track off that piece of lameness and Warrior Without a War beats it single-handed
18.02.2015 - 12:59
BlackMetalDay

This album is so far - 9 out of 11 tracks are out when I'm writing this - better than Unsung Heroes, but probably not as good as From Afar for instance. Nevertheless, what is really important is that One Man Army doesn't have the same structural problem as its predecessor: In My Sword I Trust was good, but then the album was losing pace from the 3rd track until the 7th track - the only exception being the 6th track. Luckily, there is no such problem with this new album.
19.02.2015 - 04:02
Rulatore

I prefer Unsung Heroes over this one
19.02.2015 - 20:21
Hank80AF

Awesome as always. Ensiferum never dissapoint me.
20.02.2015 - 00:07
moe5512

Very good album but Neito Pohjolan represents everything that's wrong with Finnish music but would probably be a hit song in the deep woods of karelia
20.02.2015 - 01:26
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit so far...

It almost feels like a more accessible From Afar which, I think, is the perfect direction the band could've taken. From Afar was great and easily their most complex and ambitious album they accomplished to date(sorry Jari wankers but its true) but it was partly dissatisfying that in exchange for complexity we had to trade out those ultra catchy Ensiferum hooks/choruses. Here we have a good blend of the complexity and epicness of From Afar but toned back enough to be more catchy and satisfying, a good blend I think.

The 2nd half of the album definitely seems to be where the cream of the crop is at: Descendents, Defiance, Domination, My Ancestor's Blood, Two of Spades, Cry for the Earthbound all are great Ensiferum songs with just enough of a twist to be fresh. The first half of the album is a bit of a mixed bag though and is where most of the recycled material pops up.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this and seeing if it will hold up under more listens!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
20.02.2015 - 12:55
Sword_Chant

It's pretty good. Good in it's own right. It's very different from the previous 5 albums. Being a fan of all of Ensiferum's work, I quite like it. It's a massive improvement from the last album. Listened to it a few times, they are definitely back on track. I thought From Afar was a 9/10, this sits around an 8.5 for me. You can tell they've worked very hard on this album. The first half is awesome (particularly the first 4 songs).
20.02.2015 - 15:54
Rating: 6
Wes

A far cry from "From Afar", wow that is hard to say.

Two of Spades is absolutely nutty! The apathy, or perhaps general confusion in songwriting continues from the last album. I think I rated From Afar around 9/10, but for me so far this is simply not even close. Hallow and directionless.
20.02.2015 - 19:27
Taravilyaion

I liked the first couple of tracks, but approximately half way the album I got already a bit dissappointed..
The last (live-bonus) song pleased me again a lot however..
----
"The best violence against one is the violence no one ever forgets.."
21.02.2015 - 04:51
Lionthrone

Bad English, tell me again how I can buy this album. It's the 20th and I can't find it anywhere. Thanks (you fucking tard).
21.02.2015 - 07:39
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Wes on 20.02.2015 at 15:54

A far cry from "From Afar", wow that is hard to say.

Two of Spades is absolutely nutty! The apathy, or perhaps general confusion in songwriting continues from the last album. I think I rated From Afar around 9/10, but for me so far this is simply not even close. Hallow and directionless.

Nutty in a good way. Only song that is truly worth our time at this point. Very original and extremely energetic and humorously self aware. If you thought that was nutty you should hear the Rawhide cover and "bonus track"
----
21.02.2015 - 07:41
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Lionthrone on 21.02.2015 at 04:51

Bad English, tell me again how I can buy this album. It's the 20th and I can't find it anywhere. Thanks (you fucking tard).

Importcds, FYE, Amazon
----
21.02.2015 - 21:32
Risto
Wandering Midget
In case anyone's wondering, guest vocals on Two Of Spades are performed by Ilkka "Frederik" Sysimetsä. I thought about adding him to MS but I'm lacking sources in English.
23.02.2015 - 14:36
FeskarN

Better than UH first of all, but I feel like this album is messing some nice hooks and melodies/riffs after all. Highlights: Axe Of Judgment, Heathen Horde, Warrior Without A War and Two Of Spades.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
23.02.2015 - 18:54
Rating: 10
Only three words super super super:banger2:
23.02.2015 - 20:56
Rating: 6
Reaper_Redeemer

Really average, but yeah could not be equalized with the disaster of the previous album.
One Man Army
Cry For The Earth Bounds
Two Of Spades
are some listen-able tracks.
24.02.2015 - 11:14
Stunning Cactus

Am I the only one who liked Unsung Heroes better..?
24.02.2015 - 14:31
Rating: 8
Slade_19

Written by Stunning Cactus on 24.02.2015 at 11:14

Am I the only one who liked Unsung Heroes better..?

You would have to be.
24.02.2015 - 15:22
Dragoth

One man army is definetely better than Unsung Heroes. But somehow I feel that new ideas are slowly fading away.
My highlights: Warrior without war, Two of Spades, Axe of Judgement and Heathen horde
26.02.2015 - 00:28
Necrodamus

After a few listens it's obvious this is a step up from their last album, but still not on par with their Victory Songs era. Every song on here is least half-decent though, save for Two of Spades (as many have already stated) which is one of their best ever recorded and a hell of a good time. One excellent song does not a great album make, but it's still an enjoyable listen.
26.02.2015 - 19:44
rivendel

Their best album so far, and that means a lot!!!
01.03.2015 - 19:06
Arcesse Eum

Better than the last album (naturally), high energy, fun, but kinda soulless relative to the good-ol' days.

Also, I also don't know how I feel about a handful of skinny Finns telling me how belligerent and war-like they are (and consequently, that I too should be, lest I be a pussy). It feels about as bullshitty as hip-hop 'fronting' vis-a-vis blazing heat and lighting people up and so forth. There are plenty of wars to go fight today, and I don't see them fighting any. I realize this sort of mock-boasting comes with the territory of Viking metal, but c'mon, don't act like you've been to war and killed a million people. I'm not convinced. Leave that to the old mythic heroes, don't supply you or I in their place, we all know most metalheads are not hardened war heroes.
----
As above, so below.
02.03.2015 - 17:49
Classic Bob G

I don't know who lit a fire under their ass, but this album is fantstic! I wasn't holding my breath, but I would seriously recommend this one.

Hits total: 20320 | This month: 15