Metal Storm logo
The List Of Venice

My first list! Woo. \o/

All this is going to be is a list of all my favourite albums. Probably of all time, but I dunno. It's going to be a mixture of metal and non-metal albums. Enjoy. I will try to avoid some of the big guns, but I may slip one or two in. This will probably just end up being a list of stuff I really just kind of like.

I'm currently on ten. Will probably add more at some point. With the exception of the top 2, the list is in random order.

Created by: Doge of Venice | 16.12.2014

1. Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante
Technically an EP, I think, but this is glorious and it's around 40 minutes in length anway. Long enough for me. I tend to exclude the bonus songs from my rating (while decent, though don't fit the album style). This song features my favourite song of the last decade, and my 2nd favourite song of all time - Bastonge Blues. In my opinion, the band mixed their old post rock leanings with their new prog rock tendencies perfectly on this album.
2. Aquilus - Griseus
A lot of people seem to like this (and I can understand those who do not), and I am one of them. This is a beautiful dreamy, atmospheric black metal work. I hesitate to call it a classical work, but it definitely has about equal parts metal and equal parts... other - by that I mean a mix of classical and folk music. It's a perfect mix, in my opinion. Nihil is one of the best songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. The best way I can describe this is a collection of emotions ripped from a dreaming child.
3. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
Personally, my favourite followed by Black Clouds and Images and Words. This sounds cohesive, which is something you can't really say about most of their catalog. They had a concept, and they focused on it, honed in, and created my personal favourite collection of songs. A near perfect merge of songwriting and their usual technical wank.
4. Major Parkinson - Twilight Cinema
A new one, but by god is it good. This hit home with me - maybe it's because I'd fall asleep listening to it during my depressed phase. I like to think of it that it's just a great album. Shorter and more cohesive than their prior album, there is one standout track and a collection of very, very good tracks. A wonderful mixture of progressive rock with metal and some cabaret leanings, hints of electronic music as well here and there. Listen to The Wheelbarrow, because my god.
5. Muse - Origin of Symmetry
This album is Muse at their best. From the glorious riff at the start of New Born, the energetically performed cover of Nina Simone's Feeling good to the dreamy electronics of Bliss and the western inspired intro to Dark Shines and the sharp, piercing lead riffs of Plug In Baby, this is Muse at their stomping, electronic infused arena rock best. They never quite reached the heights of this album again, moving on to Queen-worshipping rock-infused pop.
6. Queen - A Night at the Opera
Queen at their theatrical best. Mixing their earlier heavier rock works with their later more pop-orientated rock, this delivers on every count. Including The Greatest Song Ever? in Bohemian Rhapsody, it also includes my personal favourite lesser well known Queen song - The Prophet's Song. This album also includes a couple of fantastically British interludes and a collection of quality songs, such as '39 and Death on Two Legs, which provides an intro that hints at the theatrics and fantastic riffs to come.
7. Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil
People will probably disagree with this choice, but alas. Admittedly a bit of nostalgia plays apart, but I frequently listen back to this album and wonder "what could Avenged Sevenfold have been?". Their most creative album by a country mile, mixing hard rock with elements of traditional heavy metal and their old metalcore sound, they created a fantastic album. Featuring my favourite song of their entire catalog in The Wicked End, this album also includes creative gems such as Sidewinder (that outro) and MIA, a beautiful metallic ballad. And they could never replicate the headbanging glory that was the verse riff in Beast and the Harlot. This album contains an energy seldom met in any of their releases since.
8. Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Butcher's Ballroom
Weird arse goodness from this Swedish outfit. While they have continued to tear up the music world with hybridisation of genres, it is in their first album that the band shine the brightest. Featuring a restraint not present in later albums, this album mixes loud and quiet fantastically well. Personal favourite songs include Pink Noise Waltz and Rag Doll Physics, which are great examples of songs displaying their now disappeared restraint.
9. Moon Safari - Himlabacken Vol. 1
Most metalheads will absolutely detest this. Mellow Prog-Rock/Pop from Sweden, this band mix wonderfully proggy structures with the vocal harmonies of Queen and pop melodies to create a fairly unique album, of the sweetest calibre. I would go as far to call them Disney Prog, or a boyband masquerading as a progressive rock band. This album starts on the nostalgic 'Kids', before throwing cake and chocolates and sweets in your general direction. A very uplifting album, though not without it's reflective moments. 'Diamonds' is the highlight of the album, followed by the amusingly self aware 'Sugar Band'.
10. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius
You may notice this isnt rated all the highly on my votes. So why include it here? Well, for some reasons, I keep going back to this. The depressing, overbearing atmosphere is addictive, pounding my brain to a pulp. It's not my normal kind of music, nor do I like it all that much - but I think that is intentional. The atmosphere really kills my mood, throws me down and beats me. The heaviness is outstanding, and it inspired me somewhat in my own compositions when it comes to creating a sense of doom and gloom. I can't name one standout track, but I can safely say it's a standout album. The production is outstanding.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Doge of Venice ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 3   Visited by: 44 users
16.12.2014 - 02:43
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Very interesting variety in this list. Refreshing to see someone with such eclectic tastes. Pretty nice writing as well, very clear and I get a good impression of why you liked/included each album.
16.12.2014 - 05:16
MetalDoomMaster

+1 for that Abyssal album.
16.12.2014 - 06:34
Doge of Venice

Written by Alex F on 16.12.2014 at 02:43

Very interesting variety in this list. Refreshing to see someone with such eclectic tastes. Pretty nice writing as well, very clear and I get a good impression of why you liked/included each album.

Yeah, the writing was why this took so long to write up, and why there are currently so few. Will hope to put more up soon.

Hits total: 1335 | This month: 5