Metal Storm logo
Stoner Doom

14.02.2007 - 20:09
Tromatic
Account deleted
Give out your opinion on stoner doom, whether it sucks or it doesn't. Bash the hell out of it or praise the hell out of it. I myself am a fan of stoner doom bands Sleep, High on Fire, OM, SunnO)), Blackend Goat Tongue, Kingdom Of Magic (local denver, co band), Cathedral, Electric Wizard, etc etc. Whats everyone else opinion and what other stoner doom bands are good that i haven't already listed.
14.02.2007 - 22:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Firts here are such tread

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=82

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=2701

2end ist hard to say stoner doom, or stoner metal or drone doom but Sun O))) its more drone doom, but I agree about Electric Wizard
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.02.2007 - 23:08
UnholyMenace
Psycho
What about Spirit Caravan and Goatsnake - can we consider them as stoner/doom metal? I think they are pretty amazing bands. Especially Spirit Caravan and Wino with his great vocals - few months ago I got their Compilation "The Last Embrace" that also included songs from their best album "Jug Fulla Sun". Also Acid King - the sound is good, but the female vocals need some time to get used to.
16.02.2007 - 00:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by UnholyMenace on 15.02.2007 at 23:08

What about Spirit Caravan and Goatsnake - can we consider them as stoner/doom metal? I think they are pretty amazing bands. Especially Spirit Caravan and Wino with his great vocals - few months ago I got their Compilation "The Last Embrace" that also included songs from their best album "Jug Fulla Sun". Also Acid King - the sound is good, but the female vocals need some time to get used to.

Yes you;re wright but its diferent talk about those bands and clasified them because stoner its so huge and sometime sits hard to tell witch bands are stoner doom
----

apos;'
[image]
17.02.2007 - 00:59
Tromatic
Account deleted
Goatsnake is awesome, true it is hard to decide what's stoner metal and what isn't, who cares? everyone has an opinion thats what this whole thing is about so get some sticky icky and turn it the fuck up.
28.02.2007 - 21:52
UnholyMenace
Psycho
It is pretty difficult sometimes to draw a line between old-school doom and stoner/doom. Anyway I think that all the bands where Scott "Wino" has played are really amazing - I know that they are not all stoner related (ex. Saint Vitus and The Obsessed), but Spirit Caravan and The Hidden Hand are definitely one of the best ones. I haven't listened to Place of Skulls tho.
01.03.2007 - 14:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by UnholyMenace on 28.02.2007 at 21:52

It is pretty difficult sometimes to draw a line between old-school doom and stoner/doom. Anyway I think that all the bands where Scott "Wino" has played are really amazing - I know that they are not all stoner related (ex. Saint Vitus and The Obsessed), but Spirit Caravan and The Hidden Hand are definitely one of the best ones. I haven't listened to Place of Skulls tho.

What do you mean by old school doom?
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2007 - 14:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Place of Skulls - The Black Is Never Far (2006) doesn't feature Wino, so beware and IMO it is their weakest album as well. But With Vision (2003) is brilliant btw.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2007 - 14:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2007 at 14:18

Place of Skulls - The Black Is Never Far (2006) doesn't feature Wino, so beware and IMO it is their weakest album as well. But With Vision (2003) is brilliant btw.

Wino who is that guy witch band he play I hear he was on Probot and I had hear name too but dunno him, or maybe
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2007 - 14:35
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Cathedral means a lot for me, I lovel all their albums and although Lee Dorrian is a freaking bad vocalist, his voice fits perfectly with the music delivered
01.03.2007 - 14:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 01.03.2007 at 14:28

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2007 at 14:18

Wino who is that guy witch band he play I hear he was on Probot and I had hear name too but dunno him, or maybe

Wino is Scott Weinrich of The Hiddedn Hand, The Obsessed, St. Vitus, etc.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2007 - 14:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Marcel - St. Vitus then I shood know him but The Hiddedn Hand never hear that band
The Obsessed well this band are awsome I like them good band
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2007 - 17:34
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Written by Bad English on 01.03.2007 at 14:40

@Marcel - St. Vitus then I shood know him but The Hiddedn Hand never hear that band
The Hidden Hand is a band that evolved from Spirit Caravan when the last one split-up, and Spirit Caravan itself was formed just after Wino quit from The Obsessed.
28.12.2007 - 05:59
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Anyone heard Roanoke? There's probably a thousand bands with that name, but the one I'm talking about is a stoner doom band from Portland, Oregon and are on Steve Austin's (Today is the Day) record label, Supernova. Their music is fucking heavy and really dark. Check them out!

MySpace
20.02.2008 - 03:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Just found a band called Planet Gemini. They have released about two albums per year since 2002, but what I've heard of it, it sounds quite good. The band has a very heavy Sabbath influence, along with several other leanings. The thing is, they offer plenty of their material for free on their website and myspace. Not groundbreaking, but not bad either. Good stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/planetgeminidoom
http://www.planetgemini.net/
----
The force will be with you, always.
04.09.2009 - 02:56
HellHammer
Account deleted
Anyone know Acrimony (the UK band). I found them out by accident, was searching for another band actually.

http://www.myspace.com/leavesofmellowgrace
15.03.2012 - 20:46
0rpheus

Is anyone aware of Om?! they are also psychedelic/experimental
----
I would prefer not to.
15.03.2012 - 21:23
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by 0rpheus on 15.03.2012 at 20:46

Indeed, Om are pretty good.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.03.2012 - 13:05
adace1

Electric Wizard are pretty much my favorite in this genre. Also, I'd like to suggest Acid Witch. They're one of the few death-stoner bands that I've heard and they're pretty darn good. Give them a listen.
26.03.2012 - 13:20
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by 0rpheus on 15.03.2012 at 20:46

Yep, they are great.
I think OM picked up where Sleep left off, but with a lot more psychedelia thrown in.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
22.04.2012 - 23:28
brahmanda

Stoner metal is awesome because the musicians don't try and impressive their audience with flashy technique but rather compose melodic singable riffs which when successful will get stuck in your head and prevent you from sleeping.
That being said, check out this band and let me know your thoughts/ comments on the music
http://www.facebook.com/pages/BRAHMANDA/216348611783820
http://brahmanda.bandcamp.com/
23.04.2012 - 01:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I'm not sure if these bands belong here, maybe more psychedelic than anything:

Ufomammut - their new album is a monster
Sleestak - Bittercold turned me on to them, and they are in my home town!
Vaura - check out their album "Selenelion"
----
rekt
23.04.2012 - 02:46
the stranger

Electric Wizard live kicks fucking ass. Saw them last year on the Sweden Rock Festival and the performance was amazing. I haven't heard it before that day, but since I'd had read a lot of good comments about I decided to see them. Bass was groovy as hell, the way I liked. Probably I was most impress by the fact that their sound was crystal clear. I mean, it was distorted and everything, but still, every instrument was clearly identifiable one from the other. Great, great show.
23.04.2012 - 03:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by brahmanda on 22.04.2012 at 23:28

Firstly I'd like to point out that you're a doll for posting that link.

Secondly... the music is super fun. Normally I don't listen to music for that reason but I couldn't help but enjoy the riffs here. That being said, I was completely turned off by the vocals. The gritty production and hazy guitar sound works wonders, but the Kurt Cobain-esque vocal attempt just doesn't work for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.04.2012 - 04:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by brahmanda on 22.04.2012 at 23:28

Stoner metal is awesome because the musicians don't try and impressive their audience with flashy technique but rather compose melodic singable riffs which when successful will get stuck in your head and prevent you from sleeping.
That being said, check out this band and let me know your thoughts/ comments on the music
http://www.facebook.com/pages/BRAHMANDA/216348611783820

Crazy good shit. Love the intro.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.04.2012 - 19:39
The Turbanator

Ufomammut is fantastic.

Also, Bongripper deserves a place here, no?

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
23.04.2012 - 22:24
Daniell
_爱情_
Dust "Distortion Empire". I stumbled across this band a few weeks ago. I like dthe album a lot, a review is in the making. A sort of laid back, relaxed stoner doom with great calmer passages. This song is probably my favourite, but the album has more very good songs. highly recomended.

25.04.2012 - 18:28
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Anyone into Reino Ermitaño? they're a fantastic stoner, psychedelic doom band from Peru, signed to I Hate Records... From that country there are also pretty awesome El Hijo de la Aurora and Don Juan Matus, contributing to Peru's great tradition of underground psychedelic music since the 70s...
25.04.2012 - 23:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 18:28

Anyone into Reino Ermitaño? they're a fantastic stoner, psychedelic doom band from Peru, signed to I Hate Records...

very enjoyable although I wouldn't call them psychedelic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 00:26
the stranger

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.04.2012 at 23:07

Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 18:28

Anyone into Reino Ermitaño? they're a fantastic stoner, psychedelic doom band from Peru, signed to I Hate Records...

very enjoyable although I wouldn't call them psychedelic.

I agree, don't see anything psychedelic on them. Very good band anyway, a exception among the local scene.