Metal Storm logo
Microtonal Instrumentation

11.01.2015 - 03:00
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
What are your thoughts on microtonal instrumentation? For those unfamiliar with the technique, it involves creating custom scale lengths to allow the musician to play the "notes", or tones in between the conventional 12 note-limitations of mainstream music (A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#). All fret-less instruments inadvertently give this possibility, however nearly all music theory teachers will ignore this concept, as it is completely foreign to most. For an interesting demonstration, see the linked Youtube video. Also, for an example more relevant to the tastes of Metal Storm users, check out the band Last Sacrament, whose guitarist Ron Sword utilizes custom microtonal guitars.

11.01.2015 - 04:20
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
First thing that comes in mind is the almighty Jute Gyte.
I love hearing those unconventional notes, be it in guitars or whatever else. More bands should do that
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.01.2015 - 18:54
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Karlabos on 11.01.2015 at 04:20

First thing that comes in mind is the almighty Jute Gyte.
I love hearing those unconventional notes, be it in guitars or whatever else. More bands should do that

I was trying to think of more bands that demonstrated the technique, and I knew I was missing something. Jute Gyte is definitely a fantastic example.
I feel like one of the reasons many musicians don't attempt to utilize microtones, is because it's just so outside of their comfort zone. It can be very intimidating to venture into unmarked territory, where you kind of have to figure things out for yourself.
19.01.2015 - 22:31
ANGEL REAPER

Dunno man ,i havent figured 24 fret guitar yet its too many frets ,i cant handle them ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.01.2015 - 22:36
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2015 at 22:31

Dunno man ,i havent figured 24 fret guitar yet its too many frets ,i cant handle them ....

I think that's one of the biggest turn-offs to microtonal notations. The sheer obscurity and addition of new possibilities can be quite intimidating (to myself as well), and will often lead people to just stick with what they know and are taught.
19.01.2015 - 22:50
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Alex F on 19.01.2015 at 22:36

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2015 at 22:31

I think that's one of the biggest turn-offs to microtonal notations. The sheer obscurity and addition of new possibilities can be quite intimidating (to myself as well), and will often lead people to just stick with what they know and are taught.

no ,my fingers are just slow for this fretboard .I am more of rhythm guitar player so i dont have use for microtonal frets .
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.01.2015 - 22:58
Zap
I really want to play on a microtonal guitar sometime.
19.01.2015 - 23:24
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Last Sacrament is another band that plays around with microtonal riffing. In fact, the guitarist of that band is the person who helped Jute Gyte get into microtonal riffing
19.01.2015 - 23:31
Zap
Written by Guest on 19.01.2015 at 23:24

Last Sacrament is another band that plays around with microtonal riffing. In fact, the guitarist of that band is the person who helped Jute Gyte get into microtonal riffing

Read the first post again
19.01.2015 - 23:39
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 19.01.2015 at 23:24

Dude...read my first post.................also my review of Last Sacrament's EP.....................also I had them added.....
20.01.2015 - 00:12
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 19.01.2015 at 23:39

Dude...read my first post.................also my review of Last Sacrament's EP.....................also I had them added.....

Meeeeeeeeeeeehhhhh

Reading is for scrubs