Metal Storm logo
Epic Listens: A Folk Metal List

Thumbs up: +1
Folk metal is becoming one of my favorite subgenres within metal. It can fit whether you are dancing around a fire with a fine alcoholic beverage or just cleaning up around your house. I am making this list to provide some of my current favorite pieces of hammer-wielding/booze-chugging/kilt-sporting anthems.

Created by: Necrodamus | 10.01.2015

1. Moonsorrow - Voimasta Ja Kunniasta
In my opinion, this is the epitome of folk/viking expression. This is the theme of battle.
2. Finntroll - Nattfödd
The perfect drinking album, and an excellent piece of folk metal. Every song makes me want to dance around like an idiot (that's a good thing).
3. Windir - 1184
RIP Valfar. Such elegance and melody may never be captured again. A stunning piece of viking heritage.
4. Ensiferum - Iron
A true viking classic, this album got me into battle-themed metal.
5. Forefather - Steadfast
Anglo-Saxon metal that is truly "steadfast" in its own right.
6. Månegarm - Vredens Tid
Epic atmosphere and haunting melodies make this album an irresistible folk offering.
7. Equilibrium - Sagas
A jovial and melodious album that is varied and sports some of the best riffs in the genre.
8. Falconer - Among Beggars And Thieves
My Renaissance Faire album. A medieval masterpiece.
9. Eluveitie - Slania
The mix of melodic death metal and folk music looks good on paper but sounds even better when played aloud.
10. Korpiklaani - Spirit Of The Forest
My favorite offering from the Forest Clan.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Necrodamus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 4   Visited by: 26 users
11.01.2015 - 09:35
JrSadFish

Great list! I am definitely going to check out some of these albums, I'm trying to expand my horizons into folk metal.
11.01.2015 - 18:17
Erik M.

Nice stuff, though I'm not too keen on some folk stuff. Have you checked this band? This one-man band released a ton of stuff and so far everything I've heard (3 or 4 albums) is pretty great. I reckon you'd like it.

And seeing as Windir is here, I'd recommend Dordeduh - Dar De Duh. Kauan - Lumikuuro might fit as well, but I'm not sure as it's less folky than most stuff on here. Furthermore, you could consider Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler. The last few suggestions you probably won't add, since they're black or doom too.

Of course Summoning and Caladan Brood could be taken into consideration too, but it's up to you whether those fit the list or not.

I also just thought of Draugnim - Northwind's Ire. And any Drudkh album could fit as well.
12.01.2015 - 20:45
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Check out some of these:
Dalriada - Jégbontó
Amaseffer - Slaves For Life
Crimfall - As The Path Unfolds...
Kartikeya - Mahayuga
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Tuatha De Danann - Trova di Danú
13.01.2015 - 23:21
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 12.01.2015 at 20:45

Check out some of these:
Dalriada - Jégbontó
Amaseffer - Slaves For Life
Crimfall - As The Path Unfolds...
Kartikeya - Mahayuga
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Tuatha De Danann - Trova di Danú

Thanks, you make my suggestions look irrelevant... like I said, I'm not really the right person to recommend him folk stuff like this. I'm mainly into black folk and doom folk.

Hits total: 1104 | This month: 3