Metal Storm logo
Best Celtic Frost Album?

Original post

Posted by Warman, 16.02.2007 - 18:45
I don't really have to explain the question, do I?

My answer then? Well, I'll give you a whole list:
1. To Mega Therion
A killer album, amazing Avantgarde Thrash metal! Tom's warrior voice is probably heavier than ever, same thing with the riffs and the drums. Amazing intro song to the album, an experimental instrumental song (no Danse Macabre though) and some orchestral arrangements and even female vocals. Everything fits perfectly and the whole album runs smooth. The awesome album cover painted by HR Giger deserves a topic of its own.

2. Monotheist
Yes, their latest album! I'd consider it to be Alternative Gothic Doom metal, it's a very hard album to categorize. Sometimes it's so slow, still very heavy, and doomy and other times it's fast and catchy, real headbangabillity! Simple but destructive riffs and of course the warrior voice which I love so much! A worthy follow-up too Into the Pandemonium, although it's a new sound. A dirty sound. But this is an album worthy standing next to their three first albums in my collection!

3. Morbid Tales
Hard Avantgarde Thrash metal? Maybe? This album is a must for all Extreme metal fans. Ghostly intro to an album full of tough, solid and original songs! A good mix between thrashy and doomy tunes, every song feels right. Do I need to say more?

4. Into the Pandemonium
THE Avantgarde metal album, with thrash influences of course. An insanely catchy cover of Mexican Radio, beautiful instrumental parts and songs and female vocals. All the experimental stuff they used at To Mega Therion they now took to the edge, and did it real good! Mostly an amazing album, during its best moments it reaches perfection but it also contains one of the worst songs I've ever heard, named One in Ther Pride. I won't comment it more than that. And again, a great and beautiful album cover!

5. Vanity/Nemesis
Either you find it to be underestimated or to be insanely boring. Well, if I had to choose one of those sides I'd certainly take the second one. The warrior voice is gone, trying to be more melodic and reach more fans. I hate it, it almost hurts. Boring metal, neither fast nor slow. It has some good songs, and that makes me consider the album to not be bad but certainly not good. It's just boring, doesn't say anything really.

6. Cold Lake
Duuh! What did you think? Top three? Of course I consider this to be their worst album. I've only heard it once, and it was sad. Sad to hear these Extreme metal gods play Glam rock! And it's not good Glam rock, no it's way below standard! I don't care what people say to their defence, all I know is that Fischer tried to save them by release the album under another name. Due to economical reasons that was not an option. Fischer murdered Celtic Frost with this album and then raped the corpse when releasing Vanity/Nemesis. Although the ressurection of the band was phenomenal, Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis will always be there as big scars on their body.

Poll

Best Celtic Frost album?

To Mega Therion
Monotheist
Morbid Tales
Into the Pandemonium
Cold Lake
Vanity/Nemesis

Total votes: 116
21.04.2009 - 01:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If I can vote now :banger2;
I had hear all albums lets say I vote for dunno what

Morbid Tailes and Emperors return and To Mega Terion, those are werry godo albums, good old school thrash/death, awesome original old school sound , I like those werry much, good albums , so I cant choose between those 3 albums

Cold Lake even if its some flower power but its good, it remainds me lil but La Guns, GnR, something from punk thinks to, its lil US type album, realy good , ok not for ewery day, not for re play but it dont means album cant be good? It is good album, even I like thrash albums better

Moontheist - I liked it when it came out now , I get it seems I dont like it anymore, dunno why, only song what i like those days and nowdys is ''A Dying God Comes To Human Flesh''

Hard to say but I say one Coroner and Celtic Frost was one of best Swiss metal bands dor shore,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.05.2009 - 18:58
symbolic727

The over all Darkness of Monotheist is why it gits my vote that album is just so good i could not belive it was there newest one when i bought it.
03.06.2009 - 22:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by symbolic727 on 11.05.2009 at 18:58

The over all Darkness of Monotheist is why it gits my vote that album is just so good i could not belive it was there newest one when i bought it.

totally agree! that'sexactly why i voted for monotheist too.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
06.08.2009 - 10:51
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I like V/N....am I the only one? Very hard record!
----
rekt
09.08.2009 - 15:09
Scornful Curse

Well, Monotheist is my absolute favourite album, so although To Mega Therion and Morbid Tales sure are brilliant and influential they can't match Monotheist for me.
09.08.2009 - 15:54
loudandheavy
Account deleted
Monotheist is a great album
03.11.2009 - 13:57
HarmonyCorruptio

Monothiest. And Cold Lake is not as bad as people make it out to be. It still rapes every other Glam Metal band ever.
04.04.2010 - 09:37
JohnWayneGacy666

TO mega therion is the best black/doom metal album of the 80s and one of my favorite albums Celtic frost are ownage
05.04.2010 - 19:36
Don Martin
le fu-
Monotheist, definetely. The guitars are the heaviest I ever heard. Totengott is very cool IMO! ^^
----
What a tackastrophe!
03.11.2010 - 13:29
RavenKing

I never liked Celtic Frost or any other project in which Thomas G Warrior is involved. Reason is his vocals are shit and bore me to no end. Imo, "To Mega Therion" is the only listenable album in their discography. And, while I'm saying listenable, it doesn't mean I enjoy it. All the rest is mediocre crap that was considered as crap at the time but is tremendously overrated nowadays.

Ah yes. To those who think this band was dark or whatever in the 80s, let me tell you that I've never been able to take Celtic Frost seriously. There's a level of poserism (call it a slight cock rock touch, if you want - and not only on "Cold Lake") that always made me consider this band as a joke. Something in the lyrics and looks that makes me think of bands like Motley Crue or Poison.
To tell the truth, I can take Celtic Frost no more seriously than I can take Manowar seriously.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
06.11.2010 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nah I dont remeber what was my vite but now I would say Cold Lake, that glamy album , lyrics its like GnR some way, fuck the look, long live music and muiscaly its werry good, from all and I heard all this year I liked it best
----

apos;'
[image]
07.11.2010 - 04:12
Richard

Written by Bad English on 06.11.2010 at 19:34

Nah I dont remeber what was my vite but now I would say Cold Lake, that glamy album , lyrics its like GnR some way, fuck the look, long live music and muiscaly its werry good, from all and I heard all this year I liked it best

Well, it's surprising to see that Cold Lake has received 3 votes in a 'Best Celtic Frost album' poll! This album always seemed to be the one that everyone hated, including Tom G. Warrior himself.. http://www.metalmaniacs.com/2010/tom-g-warrior-calls-cold-lake-by-celtic-frost-the-worst-album-ever-created-in-heavy-music/ But still, in a way, it's good that some people go against the grain and opt for the unexpected.

On that note, I'm going for the more predicatable choice of Morbid Tales..! Early Frost retained some of the old primitive Hellhammer vibe, although it was a bit more refined.
----
07.11.2010 - 12:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 07.11.2010 at 04:12

Written by Bad English on 06.11.2010 at 19:34

Well, it's surprising to see that Cold Lake has received 3 votes in a 'Best Celtic Frost album' poll! This album always seemed to be the one that everyone hated, including Tom G. Warrior himself.. http://www.metalmaniacs.com/2010/tom-g-warrior-calls-cold-lake-by-celtic-frost-the-worst-album-ever-created-in-heavy-music/ But still, in a way, it's good that some people go against the grain and opt for the unexpected.

On that note, I'm going for the more predicatable choice of Morbid Tales..! Early Frost retained some of the old primitive Hellhammer vibe, although it was a bit more refined.

I dont wanna say others are bad, thay still are good albums, good muisc, but some way I like this better, its diferent, more epic I woild say and there nothing to be ashame of that album, even others are more metal, how tis one, still its good album, many glam bands never realised one proper good album
----

apos;'
[image]
17.02.2011 - 11:57
marouco

Morbid Tales!!!...and from Cold lake I will never forget that chorus...seduce me...tonight
22.02.2011 - 01:35
ToMegaTherion

To Mega Therion is an outstanding album, but the other albums of this period are also very very good, i have not been such a big fan of their more recent work since the reunited.
22.02.2011 - 01:51
john_mcc

Into the Pandemonium for sure. To Mega Therion was also an excellent album, but Into the Pandemonium wins through the sheer "WTF???" element when I first heard it. All hail the pioneers of something new! After that they went to the dogs; Cold Lake was a disaster that challenges St Anger for the worst album by a good band award, Vanity/Nemesis was uninspired and uninspiring. Monotheist was a good album but nothing that particularly stands out compared to other things happening in Metal at the time, a distinction which all of their early albums achieved effortlessly.
24.02.2011 - 00:39
Slayer666

Cold Lake, Cold Lake, Cold Lake!
Jokes aside, despite the influence Celtic Frost had on Extreme metal, I don't think very highly of them. Monotheist is the only album I can enjoy from them, so I guess my vote goes there.
24.02.2011 - 01:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Voted for Monotheist as well... I like their old stuff too but it's just to normal for me I guess while Monotheist has a more challenging sound comapred to the others... I also love the doomy sound it has.

Right now I'm listening to Morbid Tales, great stuff indeed, but it's my cup of tea only when I'm not really thinking about the music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.03.2011 - 08:05
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Gotta go for Monotheist, which is odd because I'm a thrashaholic and generally get very bored by doom... But somehow this album and Tryptikon's debut just make it intersting. Tom's voice is much more suited for this style then the black/thrash sound of their early albums. On a side note, I like Cold Lake.
02.05.2011 - 04:24
Doom Trooper

To Mega Therion is a fantastic black/thrash album but Monotheist is a masterpiece. One of the best metal albums period.
04.05.2011 - 20:24
Bulletdodger

Into the Pandemonium. A unique metal masterpiece. Monotheist is following closely, To The Mega Therion and Morbid Tales seem a bit simple compared to Into The Pandemonium.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
05.05.2011 - 02:49
Hellios
Account deleted
Morbid Tales for me, Because the Hellhammer old school evil sound still exists on that album.
01.12.2012 - 17:00
megadeath13
Account deleted
Its a hard choice, but i go with Morbid tales. Its their rawest and thrashiest.
27.12.2012 - 22:06
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Monotheist is a truly badass album, the atmosphere is crushing and hypnotizing at the same time.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).