Metal Storm logo
Favorite Cannibal Corpse album

Original post

Posted by theflyingmachine, 16.02.2007 - 20:23
Just wondering what everyone's favorite album by Cannibal Corpse is.
Mine would have to be the Bleeding. I find the earlier albums tend to run together in sound, such that I could swear that I just heard that song on one track prior. The later albums are improved in technicality, but have an occasional tendency to be a bit boring. But, the Bleeding makes for an enjoyable listen, where every song has its own identity, but doesn't get boring. Chris Barnes does an excellent vocal performance, and the instrumentals seem to work together perfectly. For at least one point in time, every song on the album was a standout track, although I've grown to hate 'the Exorcist', which is the bonus track on the re-release. The only complaint I have about this album is that it gets old a bit quicker than, say, Tomb of the Mutilated.
I can only choose nine options for the poll, and for that reason, I omitted each of the live albums and EPs. Gore Obsessed and Gallery of Suicide were also left off, as they are both relatively mediocre albums, and seem to be one of the consensus worst albums by the group. But, I put in an 'other' option, in case someone disagrees with that assessment.
Thoughts???

Poll

What is your favorite CC album?

Kill
The Bleeding
Tomb of the Mutilated
Eaten back to life
The Wretched Spawn
Other
Butchered at birth
Vile
BloodThirst

Total votes: 77
06.08.2009 - 04:53
No I've listened to all of their albums at least a few times. I presume that you aren't so stupid as to think that I have to purchase an album to have an opinion on it. I used to hate Butchered at Birth, but it has been growing on me lately, so I think I'm going to buy it. No need to give you an explanation though. Fuck off
06.08.2009 - 09:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by theflyingmachine on 05.08.2009 at 18:58

I looked at your RYM page about a month or two ago and noticed that some albums that you said you didn't like were rated highly on the site and vice versa, so it looks like you updated it?

I think I'm going to buy Butchered at Birth soon, and then make one of these too...I've definitely changed my opinion since the time I posted my rankings on the main CC thread

Yeah, it was all fucked up and not ranked properly. It's still fucked up, but a little better.

Oh, or if you're talking about just ratings, then some are that way because I'll rate an album I don't like higher than what my gut tells me if the songwriting/musicianship is good but I just don't like it due to personal taste... makes it fairer I think, but I'm still constantly changing them. BTW, send me a message if you see something that's not right so I can fix it.

Eventually I'll replace some of my burned CC albums with real copies. The discs that I have of Gore Obsessed, The Wretched Spawn, and Bloodthirst were downloaded/burned by a friend and the quality is really shitty, and that might be the reason why I dislike TWS so much. I actually haven't heard TWS and GO in about three years, so I'll check them out again to see if I've changed my mind.
06.08.2009 - 15:47
Just listened to both albums recently...Gore Obsessed is good for about 5 listens and then sucks, while Wretched Spawn is just generic. But, you might think differently.

I remember seeing Origin's Informis... on your RYM page rated as a 3 star and I think you said that you really like that album, while I think you didn't really think all that much of Disfigured, though it has a 4 star on your page. Those are the two I thought of. But, I'd give Disfigured a 4 star personally
04.11.2009 - 14:13
JD
Account deleted
I adore all Cannibal Corpse albums...but my favorite "The Wretched Spawn"
04.11.2009 - 15:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
My fave is "Gore Obsessed". It's only one of two CC albums which has no tracks on it that I don't like. (The other one is "Kill")
04.11.2009 - 16:27
Brave
Written by Angelic Storm on 04.11.2009 at 15:45

My fave is "Gore Obsessed". It's only one of two CC albums which has no tracks on it that I don't like. (The other one is "Kill")

"Compelled to Lacerate" intro is so catchy god damn. Gore Obsessed seems like Bloodthirst and Gallery of Suicide hmmmm...

My fav is Bloodthirst
04.11.2009 - 17:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Brave on 04.11.2009 at 16:27
"Compelled to Lacerate" intro is so catchy god damn. Gore Obsessed seems like Bloodthirst and Gallery of Suicide hmmmm...

My fav is Bloodthirst

What I love about "Gore Obsessed" is it's so catchy, and none of the technicality takes away from that, as it does on some of CC's other later albums. I really love "Bloodthirst" but for me, it has some forgettable tracks like "Condemned To Agony" and "Sickening Metamorphosis". Can't go wrong with tracks like "Blowtorch Slaughter" though!
05.11.2009 - 05:27
Brave
Written by Angelic Storm on 04.11.2009 at 17:02

Written by Brave on 04.11.2009 at 16:27

My fav is Bloodthirst

What I love about "Gore Obsessed" is it's so catchy, and none of the technicality takes away from that, as it does on some of CC's other later albums. I really love "Bloodthirst" but for me, it has some forgettable tracks like "Condemned To Agony" and "Sickening Metamorphosis". Can't go wrong with tracks like "Blowtorch Slaughter" though!

Well... i just mean "seems like" not "just like" hehe. "Blowtorch Slaughter" is weird song but not bad song hmmm it seems like everyone got not same music taste
06.11.2009 - 22:19
Baz Anderson
Staff
"Gore Obsessed" seems to be really quite underrated, I don't feel a lot of people like it too much - but it is the first Cannibal Corpse album I heard and (although I didn't like it at first) it is probably one of my favourites now. Straight forward stuff, it was great to hear "Pit Of Zombies" live.
06.11.2009 - 22:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Baz Anderson on 06.11.2009 at 22:19

"Gore Obsessed" seems to be really quite underrated, I don't feel a lot of people like it too much - but it is the first Cannibal Corpse album I heard and (although I didn't like it at first) it is probably one of my favourites now. Straight forward stuff, it was great to hear "Pit Of Zombies" live.

I agree, it totally is! It's quite a popular choice for their worst album, and I think it's far from that. I actually regard it as their best. It was the first CC album I heard from start to finish (I had heard "Hammer Smashed Face" a few years prior), as I had bought it on a whim. I really can't fault it at all. Even the highly technical songs on the album like "Hatchet To The Head" manage to sound incredibly macabre and catchy! I feel on most of their other albums, a lot of the overly technical songs are not very memorable. That is not the case on "Gore Obsessed", and I think that is the main reason I class it as their best.
06.11.2009 - 23:41
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.11.2009 at 22:35

I agree, it totally is! It's quite a popular choice for their worst album, and I think it's far from that. I actually regard it as their best. It was the first CC album I heard from start to finish (I had heard "Hammer Smashed Face" a few years prior), as I had bought it on a whim. I really can't fault it at all. Even the highly technical songs on the album like "Hatchet To The Head" manage to sound incredibly macabre and catchy! I feel on most of their other albums, a lot of the overly technical songs are not very memorable. That is not the case on "Gore Obsessed", and I think that is the main reason I class it as their best.

Well, look what you've made me do. I'm listening to the album again now... ("Savage... Butchery...").
I wouldn't call it their best.

I actually don't know which album I like the most. I've never tried to stack all the albums up against each other before.

I'd hate to be all predictable but I think "Tomb Of The Mutilated" is my favourite still, but "Bloodthirst" is actually right up there too for me. "The Bleeding" is another one of favourites, and then probably "Gore Obsessed" and "The Wretched Spawn" (which was one of the first albums I bought. I loved shocking people with the cover...)

"Vile" and "Gallery Of Suicide" are probably my least favourites, but I have to say that probably my all time favourite Cannibal Corpse release is "Live Cannibalism". I just love that live album - the production is perfect and the setlist is just pretty much all you could want from the band at that point. I love it.
06.11.2009 - 23:48
Baz Anderson
Staff
"Sanded Faceless" was a particular favourite of mine for quite some time too.
07.11.2009 - 02:31
I really enjoyed Gore Obsessed when I first listened to it, but the novelty seemed to wear off after each listen. The last two tracks in particular get really old, really quickly. But yea, Sanded Faceless is a classic track.
07.11.2009 - 02:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Baz Anderson on 06.11.2009 at 23:41
Well, look what you've made me do. I'm listening to the album again now... ("Savage... Butchery...").
I wouldn't call it their best.

I actually don't know which album I like the most. I've never tried to stack all the albums up against each other before.

I'd hate to be all predictable but I think "Tomb Of The Mutilated" is my favourite still, but "Bloodthirst" is actually right up there too for me. "The Bleeding" is another one of favourites, and then probably "Gore Obsessed" and "The Wretched Spawn" (which was one of the first albums I bought. I loved shocking people with the cover...)

"Vile" and "Gallery Of Suicide" are probably my least favourites, but I have to say that probably my all time favourite Cannibal Corpse release is "Live Cannibalism". I just love that live album - the production is perfect and the setlist is just pretty much all you could want from the band at that point. I love it.

Well, I only know of one other person who considers it their best, so I know I am in a minority there! I find "Tomb Of The Mutiliated" to be a bit overrated. It has an immensely evil atmosphere due to the production and the lyrics, but song wise, I find it overall, a pretty weak album. Its hard to make out a lot of the individual riffs, and most of the songs sound haphazardly put together. The only 2 songs I love from that album are "Hammer Smashed Face" and "Beyond The Cemetery". When I listen to that album, its more for the atmosphere it has, rather than the quality of the individual songs themselves. Example, I can remember that "Split Wide Open" is a throroughly evil sounding song, but I cant recall a single riff from it! I guess that is what I mean. To listen to at that moment, it is great. I just dont remember much if any of most of the riffs once ive finished listening to it. Only the two songs I mentioned stick in my head.

"The Bleeding" and "Eaten Back To Life" are by far my fave Chris Barnes albums. Much more consistent songwriting, and more memorable songs overall. "Vile" is probably my least fave album from the Corpsegrinder era. "Devoured By Vermin" is an awesome song, and definitely one of their classics. But aside from about 2 or 3 other songs on the album, it is very forgettable stuff. "Gallery Of Suicide" is just a tad overlong really. If you took about 4 songs off it, it would have been great. The 2nd half of the album in particular is dull and not very memorable at all. Although it does end with a great one! "Crushing The Despised". The first half of the album though, is faultless and I love it a lot!

Oh, and "Sanded Faceless" is awesome! It definitely lives up to it's amazing intro!
07.11.2009 - 03:15
Baz Anderson
Staff
The first two albums are great, and they have some fantastic songs on them - but overall I find them a little crusty, so that's what puts me off them most.

It's "I Cum Blood" that really gets me going with that album, haha, I just love that song - I don't know why. It's just one of those that clicked with me. I guess it is a Cannibal Corpse favourite though, they always play it live - so I'm not alone there (unlike Iron Savior's "Stonecold" - I have a weird irrational love for that song...)

Who'd have thought there'd be so much to talk about with such an unoriginal band, hahaha.
07.11.2009 - 06:02
Written by Baz Anderson on 07.11.2009 at 03:15

Who'd have thought there'd be so much to talk about with such an unoriginal band, hahaha.

I agree. The endless CC bashing is tiresome.
Anyways, I can understand why Tomb of the Mutilated doesn't click with some people...it was my first CC album and I didn't enjoy it at all for awhile, but it really grew on me. Musically, it isn't all that incredible, but that was one album that almost jumped into the brutal DM genre, and they did an excellent job doing so. Tracks like Necropedophile, I Cum Blood, and Postmortal ejaculation are fucking sick.
Strange that both of you dislike Vile so much, as it is my favorite CC album. Every track on the album stands on its own, and there are only a handful of tracks (if that) in CC's discography that I would put over Disfigured, Bloodlands, Monolith, Puncture Wound Massacre, and Mummified in Barbed Wire.
07.11.2009 - 10:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Baz Anderson on 07.11.2009 at 03:15

Well, originality doesn't always equate to "good"! I've always cared far more about the quality of the music, rather than how original it is. Anyways, it's hardly as if all CC's songs sound the same, is it? Anyone who thinks that needs a hearing aid!

Written by theflyingmachine on 07.11.2009 at 06:02
Anyways, I can understand why Tomb of the Mutilated doesn't click with some people...it was my first CC album and I didn't enjoy it at all for awhile, but it really grew on me. Musically, it isn't all that incredible, but that was one album that almost jumped into the brutal DM genre, and they did an excellent job doing so. Tracks like Necropedophile, I Cum Blood, and Postmortal ejaculation are fucking sick.
Strange that both of you dislike Vile so much, as it is my favorite CC album. Every track on the album stands on its own, and there are only a handful of tracks (if that) in CC's discography that I would put over Disfigured, Bloodlands, Monolith, Puncture Wound Massacre, and Mummified in Barbed Wire.

I wouldn't say I "disliked" Vile, it has some good songs, but I feel overall, it is the most patchy album of the Corpsegrinder era.

"Disfigured", "Mummified In Barbed Wire", and "Perverse Suffering" are really awesome songs. But, the fact the album opens with such a classic song "Devoured By Vermin", it's going to be difficult to keep that level of quality throughout the whole album, and I think "Vile" definitely fails in doing that. Though that is just my opinion of course!
07.11.2009 - 13:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
I'm listening to "Tomb Of The Mutilated" right now. The memory of me falling in love with this album takes place at the Bradford Rio which is now closed (well... "moved" to Leeds).
My friend who was in a band at the time were going to play a show at the Rio - it was a small show with just one other band supporting them. Turns out it was going to be an even smaller show than we thought because pretty much no one entered the venue (probably why it shut down, haha).

It was in the meantime when they were waiting to see if anyone was going to turn up for this show they had the album going through the sound system quite loud - and I just sat on top of some tower of some kind listening to it all. That was good.

I've always wanted to listen to it so loud since.
13.11.2009 - 22:17
Razorback
I voted The Wretched Spawn,even if i like some other albums a lot this one is the most charming .I saw them live,and Fisher blown away all place
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
09.03.2010 - 16:51
Here's my updated rankings of my favorite CC albums:

1. Vile - At least half of the songs are classic IMO, and all but one or two tracks are excellent and fit perfectly with the album.
2. Tomb of the Mutilated - Only a few tracks that I would consider as some of their best, but the whole album is still great and I love its overall sound.
3. The Bleeding - Like Pyro...er Dangerboner said, Chris Barnes is at his best here, and the melodic tracks seem to work well on this album.
4. Butchered at Birth - My opinion of this album has been all over the place, as I love to listen to it in my car, but it sucks to hear on my computer speakers. It would be my favorite album or at least in the top 3 if the drums weren't such shit. This album is probably their darkest and one of their most brutal.
5. Bloodthirst - This is a good album that is consistent throughout...I just wouldn't consider it classic.
6. Eaten Back to Life - A couple of the tracks are as good, if not better, than anything else they have come up with in their entire discography. My only complaint is the amount of filler, which comprises quite a bit of this album.
7. Evisceration Plague - My personal favorite that they have released since Bloodthirst...whatever that means.
8. Gore Obsessed - I absolutely loved this album on the first listen, and liked it a little bit less each subsequent listen. Now, I find it to be pretty generic.
9. Kill - I never understood the hype over this album, but it gets a little higher ranking than some of the albums because of their change in direction.
10. The Wretched Spawn - More generic than Gore Obsessed, and the increased technicality would be a plus if some of the tracks weren't total shit (i.e. Decency Defied).
11. Gallery of Suicide - This is a shitty album. The only Cannibal Corpse album that I really don't like.
26.05.2012 - 12:17
Tomb of the Mutilated is my personal fave. IMO it's CC at their best.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
30.11.2012 - 05:05
thewall30
I choose Tomb of the Mutilated, you can't go wrong with tracks like "Addicted to Vaginal Skin" and "Necropedophile" classic Cannibal Corpse
----