Metal Storm logo
What do you think of Metal's evolution ?

Original post

Posted by , 17.02.2007 - 02:16
Well, this is simple, this thread will just be dealing with the way Metal has evolved. From its beginning, some 30 years ago, or more, to now.

So many things have changed, so many genres, sub genres and bands have been created, thus, Metal music itself has changed. Just to mention some examples, i am especially thinking about Nu Metal, which was supposed to bring about a "revolution" in Metal, or some bands that have totally changed their sound (please dont bash Metallica or In Flames XD).

Personally, i am someone who changes a lot, as a consequence, my tastes in music have really been transformed with time. Because of this, id say i like when things change, i dont like things to remain static and unchanged for a long time. It bores me.
Therefore, i dont mind when some bands try to give their sound something new, which will keep me interesed and curious, as ill always be longing for their next album, to see if something has changed or not. Moreover, i dont think there is a "true metal" genre which would refer to the first Metal bands.
To me, Metal is neither better now than before, nor worse. I dont think i am able to judge, because i like both "oldschool" Metal, and new Metal ( i didnt say "nu" but "new"), eventhough most of my favourite bands are .. kinda new.

There are so many things to say about it, and i am sure many people would disagree with me. This is the reason why id like to ask you how you feel about it. Do you think Metal is improving ? Or on the contrary, decaying ? And dont be afraid of being talkative, give arguments .
22.03.2009 - 13:19
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 20.11.2008 at 22:18

Written by Metalbound7 on 20.11.2008 at 20:49

To all people that is complaining about Nu Metal and NWOAHM. WTF all of you used to listen before getting into the True Metal? or you born listening to Slayer and Iron Maiden?. Nu Metal is perfectly fine with me, why?, well i hate the music of bands like Slipknot or Bullet for my Valentine, but people start listening to those bands and a year later they start listening to bands like Megadeth, Opeth, Judas Priest , etc. I personally start listening first to bands like Korn and Linkin Park when i was 12 yo. now im a Die Hard Metalhead.

This is why i support Nu Metal 100%, its apportation to the Metal Scene is so huge but we never think about that.

Think about this: without numetal, all the record label money that goes (or more accurately went) towards pushing it on the public could go to quality metal bands instead. Don't praise music just for its inflated popularity.

@Metalbound7

I agree for the most part with your statement....Nu-metal is a way to ease young people into metal and they will eventually (hopefully) realize how crap it is and listen to proper metal. A very small % of metal dudes I know started listening to Slayer or whatever right off the bat and one day just decided they love it. So they go for something a little more forthcoming and after like 8 years or so they found their way toward their favorite genre whether it be Cannibal Corpse or Megadeth or whatever.

@totaliteraliter

Your statement about "all the money" that went to numetal bands instead of regular metal bands: Who do you think generated "all that money"? WIthout the numetal bands there wouldnt BE money like that generated, apart from bands like Metallica and some obvious others. Linkin Park and those bands bring money in for the recordlables.

And your statement about "dont praise bands for their inflated popularity" - Well thats all good and well I dont think any metalhead on this site would disagree with you but its like the whole "smoking kills" thing....everyone knows it but what are you trying to achieve? People will do it regardless. And recordlables will do it regardless because afterall it is a money-making industry and Im sure they would rather promote a band who sells a million copies world-wide than some obscure blackmetal band who sells 50. Its tragic but thats the way it is. Also the general public will think Linking Park is METAL regardless of how ignorant a statement it is, because compared to the other crap they listen to that band is the heaviest thing they like.

Like i said I dont have a problem with numetal...I dont listen to it so when I see people with their stupid Korn etc shirts I chuckle out of pity for them. In the end I dont have to listen to it and it amuses me so no harm done. What DOES annoy me is when these numetal influences make their way into the actualy metal community, and Im pretty sure I dont have to type any examples.

So in the end - personally I dont think real metal was EVER supposed to be popular, or be on every tv and radio station. I dont know about you but metal is very sacred to me, I dont want to share it with every other douche and I like it when people dont know the music I listen to. Because metal to a certain degree is still for the outcasts - the people who dont just listen to music and like whatever is fed to them. I know you probably agree with this but Im just saying, metal wasnt meant to be "rich" metal was always gonna be the struggling artist, the unappreciated, the misunderstood....sort of the van Gogh.

Just another question @ totaliteraliter: You say the money should rather be spent on quality metal bands. In what way do you mean? Im not trying to be an ass over here Im just asking. Do you mean by signing talented new bands, using the money to generate more tours and more large-scale festivals for already settled bands etc?
------------

Ok so to FINALLY come back to the topic: Similar to the original poster I consider myself a relatively open-minded metal listener. In most cases Im not a big fan of the "If it aint broke, why fix it" kind of bands i.e Amon Amarth who churn out the same stuff over and over - its boring and it doesnt hold my attention. I like to expand my horizons, the new album of Suspyre a good example of how progressive metal should sound. Eventhough they have moments of Symphony X shining through its also very unique and more complex than SX. So generally I fluctuate between the genres I like and try to get hold of as much new music as often as possible because I grow bored of music quite quickly. I guess I listen to music differently than when I was a teen. Back then it was just about finding the heaviest band with the best riffs but that became redundant. So I moved on to music that challenges me, stuff that I dont like on the first few spins or which my brain cant immediately process are generally the things I end up loving for a longer period.
24.03.2009 - 13:05
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Its a really hard topic to ponder over really. I think it has evolved quite rapidly, and has crossed over with most non-metal genres broadening its boundaries. The problem with this is, it really isnt all Metal. What i mean is your listening to alot of hybrid genres. Its more of a scene that a genre now. Ive come to realise over time that the term 'metal' is one thing, but what most of us listen to is just partly metal. Obviously im talking about some sub-genres more than others who really do follow traditional roots. This makes the evolution hard to define, there are 'complications'.
03.04.2009 - 17:54
totaliteraliter

Written by Guest on 22.03.2009 at 13:19
Just another question @ totaliteraliter: You say the money should rather be spent on quality metal bands. In what way do you mean? Im not trying to be an ass over here Im just asking. Do you mean by signing talented new bands, using the money to generate more tours and more large-scale festivals for already settled bands etc?

There are plenty of accessible metal bands that could fill that nu-metal niche just as well or almost as well if they had the support. Bands that would actually represent metal well.

But you're right in that popularity should not be a major goal for metal, metal isn't for everyone. The main argument that I've been making is that popularity is not a reason to praise a band, especially if such a band's popularity is based upon misrepresenting metal to the masses.
24.10.2009 - 21:22
Hanyuchan

Some of it has evolved into complete crap, like Deathcore.
24.10.2009 - 21:44
Znoy

So, I think that many bands are not the Evolution of metal now. Modern sound is not the all evolution. Evolution is when bands create good, clever compositions with soul and heart as they can - not only brutal sound with roar of guitars and regular drums per second strikes of sticks and lyrics about evil, madness, loneliness and horrors. We can watch this horrors from TV news. Read newspapers, watch movies.
31.10.2009 - 04:09
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah and lets face it, there are some people out there who really dont want metal to evolve and think metal has evolved enough, some are still stuck in very narrow minded territory and the more metal evolves (whether due to available technology / experimentation) the more some people will become alienated and try to hold onto the past.

I on the other hand am all for experimentation, to a certain degree obviously. There are few things that havent been done in metal though so from a musical point of view I cant see much evolution happening that does not include more incorporation of electronics. That is both an exciting thing and terrifying because some bands might just completely lose the plot lol
03.04.2010 - 12:22
shisha

Written by shisha on 03.04.2010 at 12:14

Written by Znoy on 24.10.2009 at 21:44

So, I think that many bands are not the Evolution of metal now. Modern sound is not the all evolution. Evolution is when bands create good, clever compositions with soul and heart as they can - not only brutal sound with roar of guitars and regular drums per second strikes of sticks and lyrics about evil, madness, loneliness and horrors. We can watch this horrors from TV news. Read newspapers, watch movies.

You get the point. If you have a gift to make music you are already evolved. Or else you can just generate music with no value.
29.04.2010 - 18:04
spiritofvengence

Metal must be allowed to grow. If it never changes (Iron Maiden, Slayer, Dio), then it gets old and will die.

Thank (whoever you want to thank - God, Satan, Dawkins, Ktulu, Odin, your lucky star) for the subgenres, or else metal would be dead long ere this.
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
29.04.2010 - 20:56
Kennoth

Written by BitterCOld on 03.05.2007 at 09:39

Re-read your statement, hoss. You didn't denigrate those genres because of artistic reasons. You denigrated them because other people appreciate them more than 'old school' metal.

And the "get off your soap box" comment was directed at you for using the same, boring, tired, played out, no thought involved, disrespect nu-metal/metal core post that I've seen no less than once per week from one board warrior or another...

Seriously, if I played the "MetalStorm Drinking Game" and had to drink a good sized gulp of beer for each time I've read a post bashing NM/MC without a quality supporting statement, in the 2 1/2 years I've been here, I would probably have consumed enough beer to get the state of Rhode Island drunk.

And, finally,

"your comment was pretty dumn... ...not everyone can have your taste."

1. You might want to spell check the word "dumb" next time you decide to direct it at another poster.

2. I don't own either a MetalCore or Nu-Metal release. I don't care for them. I just choose not to bash them. I acknowledge them for what they are - a branch on the metal tree that does not appeal to me - and move on. It's a bit more of a high road than most "true metal" board warriors are willing to take - which I find horribly amusingly because I am willing to bet a huge chunk of them probably discovered "true" metal as a result of getting into nu-metal.

Ok, this was just awesome.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
29.04.2010 - 21:05
Kennoth

This topic really has been chewed off for a billionth time. Nevertheless...

All things in life evolve, deal with it. And especially music, metal should be no exception. It's by all means, your right to hate nu metal/metalcore/deathcore/european symphonic power metal/whatever else, just like it's mine to dislike black metal, grindcore and trash.
But the arguments for hating/disliking them are at the least ludicrous. 'They are not tr0' 'They are not metal' 'They suck'. Jesus, you sound like a pubescent kids trash talking like that. Who cares about fanbase, following or the level popularity of those bands? Who cares that most people would recognize Korn instead of your ultra brutal technical death metal, or atmospheric/satanic black favorite band?

Such music is what got me into metal music in the first place (like so many people on this site), so even if I stop liking it one day due to listening to heavier sound, I'll never disrespect if for that fact. Metal has now so many subgenres, and saying that it takes no talent to play in a nu or metalcore band; well, why aren't you signed to a record label yet?
----
20.03.2011 - 07:28
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I suspect that melodic metalcore, Killswitch Engage and their ilk, will die down within this year, and deathcore will continute to rise, although based more on a wigger image than an emo image. As far as the underground, I'm very curious to see if any other dm bands will start playing in the style that Ulcerate is pioneering- Perhaps a death metal equivilant to the post-sludge and post-black metal that developed in the 2000's. Not to mention the whole djent thing, which seems to be gaining more legitimacy as a genre of it's own.
03.01.2012 - 00:19
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Hanyuchan on 24.10.2009 at 21:22

Some of it has evolved into complete crap, like Deathcore.

I agree, and now some metal bands are putting techno and that kind of shit into their music. My friend was talking to me about the new Killswitch Engage album because it has some dub step or some other gay shit it in. Sure there has been some great changes to metal since Black Sabbath, but not all of them are great.
03.01.2012 - 00:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Don't be hatin' on the cores...

there's bad bands and good bands in each genre, deathcore is just the scapegoat.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.01.2012 - 00:34
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.01.2012 at 00:19

Sure there has been some great changes to metal since Black Sabbath, but not all of them are great.

Yeah not all of em have been great, but people have to experiment to get new sounds. So maybe a lot of bad music can be seen a necessary evil
06.01.2012 - 03:32
lordchadi

I don think my taste in metal changed my first metal band i ever heard was Manowar & they still 1 of my favorite

but that don mean i refuse the new style in black metal or symphonic metal i really like it but the type of static x or linkin park i hate it with all my heart
07.01.2012 - 17:48
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 03.01.2012 at 01:15

Power Metal is today better than ever before, It is the only music genre that truly satisfies me.

I know lots of people, including me, who prefer by far old Powermetal and think the genre turned to crap nowadays.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
07.04.2016 - 20:34
Enteroctopus

As far as what really caught my attention "recently," meaning 2012, Borknagar's 'Urd' album really worked. It's similar to previous efforts, but I felt like the finally nailed it with that one. I was 33 at the time, and I had never heard anything quite like that before. Sure, I'd heard bits and pieces of it, but no one had brought all of it together quite like that before. "Winter Thrice" is a good album, too, but to me seems like, 'Urd 2.' I still really, really dig it, but it's not quite the feeling of, "this thing is changing the world of metal NOW!!!"

I've had that before...

Amorphis' 'Tales from the Thousand Lakes,' way back in 1994. That was my first experience with folk fusion and metal, and music that was about mythologies other than Christian ones and the typical, "Satan ate my cat" shit.

Dissection, 'Storm of the Lights Bane," is another example. One listen and I was going, "Holy shit! Everything is completely different now!!"

Backwards from there... "Rust in Peace," "Reign in Blood," and my first foray into things heavy: "Appetite for Destruction"

These stand out for me because they were my experiences. These are what I'd call, "peak" experiences anyone into anything is after, religion, drugs, sports, anything. You're looking for that ecstatic transcendental mind-blowing experience, which is a rare thing.

In between, certain bands (Amon Amarth) kind of keep cranking out the same stuff, but that's okay, too. Someone's got to keep the thing going so you can have that one band every ten years who crashes through your speakers and completely annihilates everything you think about music forever. They have their place, too, although I don't really have a lot of memories of listening to Amon Amarth... Driving. Working. Sweeping the floor.

Yah, okay. Gotta listen to something while you sweep the floor. None of that probably made any sense and that's okay.
07.04.2016 - 20:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Didn't know this topic existed. Might wanna get some popcorn
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.05.2016 - 04:54
Kennoth

Last ten posts of this thread span six years.

Food for thought.
----
17.05.2016 - 15:45
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Metal>metalfans
29.05.2016 - 08:43
Jake

Who sits down and thinks, "hm. I think I wanna start a Deathcore band"..?
Certainly no one whos gonna make any good music. Giving your band niche is like exclaiming youre a born copy cat.
Musics evolution cant be defined because influences vary from everything to metal of the past to Jazz to Beethoven. There are so many people who've made their mark on music, there is no clear or definitive path guiding the evolution of any one genre. Just new ideas.
03.06.2016 - 01:57
Ganondox

Metal evolves, evolution is good because it creates new sounds. If you don't like the new sounds, don't listen to them, it doesn't get rid of the old sounds.
05.06.2016 - 04:27
Jake

Not saying theres anything wrong with deathcore, some of its great. Just dont agree with a niche mentality personally
06.06.2016 - 23:18
Guib
Thrash Talker
I like that metal evolves, whatever the direction it decides to take, I'm not against it. Music is all about exploring and experimenting. Mostly just having fun in creating something.
If it wouldn't evolve then it would stagnate and always sound the same and that's quite boring. I'm all for bands fusing different styles, using different instruments and
that aren't scared of the public opinion, because in the end, when you're creating music you should always create it for yourself.

I think overall, Metal is quite healthy in that regard. It's a genre that has never been scared of trying, pushing the limits and doing so regardless of the public eye.
So what do I think of Metal's Evolution? I think it's good... I think it could be even better, but yeah, it's good.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.06.2016 - 03:14
seriousbasscase

Metal evolution? For the longest time, I was bitter towards the fact that I was so disappointed when the 80's transformed into the 90's. I was really anticipating that Metal was going to really take it to the next level, then Seattle and all that happened. Hip Hop crowded out Metal from the likes of MTV....I was just getting out of the US Army, and hopefully catch up on the Headbanger's Ball, finally, right? And it got cancelled, Metal then was becoming uncool so to speak, some people were becoming embarrassed of the term Heavy Metal. I realize it's much more complicated than that, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. In the late 90's I cofounded a "Metal" band, and had to fight tooth and nail with fellow musicians that wanted to follow the Creed bandwagon. To all the soldiers of Metal out there, I salute you!
05.07.2016 - 00:51
ADIresiduos

Metal has evolved quite well, I must say. I think the perception of it depends on a lot of things, being one of them your age... why?, beacuse it's not the same to have lived an era of metal than to listen to it after many years, when maybe it already faded away or doesn't have the same presence anymore.
I grew up when metal was barely getting strong: near the end of the 70's and start of the 80's, so, I was lucky enough to have lived the rise of thrash metal, NWOBHM, Powermetal, Glam Metal, early Death Metal, etc.
Thrash metal is my favorite genre, because of this experience I had as a boy, but I think I adjusted pretty well to the changes in the metal scene, be it 90's, 00's and so on.
I like grunge, yes, Nirvana, AIC, etc. Also Nu-Metal, a bit of Hardcore, some Metalcore, Industrial, etc.
To me it has to do with your taste for music; if one is so fond of just one genre and does not allow him or herself to try different ones, maybe they're gonna be losing on some really good musical experience.
I got into metal by chance, because before that, I used to listen to 70's pop music and some disco. Until one day, a friend of mine put on The Number of the Beast and For Those About To Rock and that was it!
Now, we have to give way to the younger generation of metalheads, hoping they still will carry the flag... we'll just have to wait and see where they take it now.
05.07.2016 - 03:00
ADIresiduos

Written by totaliteraliter on 20.08.2008 at 23:43

Written by Guest on 20.08.2008 at 13:03
Looking at this logically, Slipknot has done far more for the metal scene than any Black or Death band. Whoever's popular, they're the ones making new metalheads. They bring 'em and the underground keeps 'em.

I don't know if I'd really call that a logical conclusion, I'm not so sure that bringing in more people is good (or even bad) for metal.

It's good... believe me.
I live in Mexico, and here, maybe only 5% (or less) of the population likes metal... I included..... haha