Band: Lord Dying
Album: Poisoned Altars
Style: Sludge metal
Release date: January 2015

01. Poisoned Altars
02. The Clearing At The End Of The Path
03. A Wound Outside Of Time
04. An Open Sore [feat. Aaron Beam]
05. Offering Pain (And An Open Minded Center)
06. Suckling At The Teat Of A Sheabeast
07. (All Hope Of A New Days)... Extinguished
08. Darkness Remains

Are you a shower or a grower?

Gimme a grower over a shower any day. There's nothing worse than discovering an album of epic proportions which then fails to satisfy you in the long run. Knowing what pleases me, Lord Dying put out the rather satisfactory Summon The Faithless in 2013, but apparently only accepting "wow"s and "oh my"s, the band decided to change my mind for the better with Poisoned Altars. Not content enough with sludge as the prominent organ of their music, the three Americans felt the need to strengthen their penchant for the energy of thrash and the heaviness of stoner doom with this second release. With their sound now being just as massive and crushing as I like it, how could I resist making the parallel between this and a turgescent phallus?

I totally could - I am mistress of my domain, queen of the castle- but Poisoned Altars is too much fun not to be compared to that. When the neck and the foot muscles don't seem to respond to the numerous signals the brain is sending them, in the vain attempt at stopping you from looking like a disjointed puppet having a stoke at your desk, you know that the riffs are more than catchy enough. Naturally displaying more punch and guitar expertise than your usual sludge/stoner combo as their thrash leaning inherently implies, this album avoids the pitfalls of the genre such as build-ups that never reach climax, or Bongripper-esque marathonian lengths. Our Deceasing Ruler knew how to select just the best and most coherent bits and arrange them in a fashion that makes the first listen so flowy and pleasant it could warrant an immediate subsequent spin.

If the thirty minutes of mid-tempo goodness I have just described to you doesn't look sexy enough, I'm sure you'll react positively if I throw around the names of some of your favourite mistresses. Look at your face as I compare the vocalist's style to Crowbar's Kirk Windstein, and Lord Dying's general output to something straight out of a High On Fire-meets-early-Mastodon record. However, however, don't fixate your mind on what I just said, because Currently In The Process Of Perishing King still display enough personality not to be judged solely as followers of the previously-mentioned established sludge titans. Close your mouth, you're drooling.

I have so much difficulty hiding my own boner that I'm going to have to resort to ice cubes to calm myself down. Meanwhile, help yourself to some of this sausage.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Ilham | 15.01.2015

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 171 users
15.01.2015 - 17:32
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
The whole review reminded me of penis so now I don't want to listen to this. I've not heard of Lord Dying, but this review has certainly piqued my interest. I'll give it a go at some point. Very nicely written by the way
15.01.2015 - 17:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I hadn't bothered with this as the song they released a while back was one of those "good but I probably won't look further" sort of songs. I suppose I will have to reconsider seeing as you gave it 10.5 / 10 (MS standard)
15.01.2015 - 17:41
Zap
Haha, great review. That sample sounds like my kind of sludge sausage.
15.01.2015 - 17:43
Rating: 8
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 15.01.2015 at 17:36

I hadn't bothered with this as the song they released a while back was one of those "good but I probably won't look further" sort of songs. I suppose I will have to reconsider seeing as you gave it 10.5 / 10 (MS standard)

Yeah the song is not the best, but I find the album to be better than the début, just really building on top of that one, no major changes. So if you liked it (I think you did), this shouldn't pose a problem. But then you're Joe, I can't predict . Haha yeah I didn't shy away from the 8 because it does just what it has to do for a sluge album - even if not phenomenal.

Written by Alex F on 15.01.2015 at 17:32

The whole review reminded me of penis so now I don't want to listen to this. I've not heard of Lord Dying, but this review has certainly piqued my interest. I'll give it a go at some point. Very nicely written by the way

Your penis problem is none of my business Alex, dude, TMI. Thanksies, as I said to Joe, it's not ground-breaking neither for the genre or for metal in general, but very solid with their own little thing, and that warrants at least a listen.
15.01.2015 - 17:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 15.01.2015 at 17:43

it does just what it has to do for a sluge album

Great, I love sluge metal.
15.01.2015 - 17:52
Rating: 8
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 15.01.2015 at 17:48

Great, I love sluge metal.

It's a smoother variant, but you've probably never heard of it.
15.01.2015 - 22:27
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I'm not too heavily into the sludge world yet, but I really like what I've heard of it, and I enjoyed the first Lord Dying album. If sludge sounds like this--raw aggression and gritty, pounding riffs--I think I might need to explore more. Looking forward to this album.
----
16.01.2015 - 14:23
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Surprised this wasn't on the album after reading the review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzC2DRgEo4
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.02.2015 - 19:01
Susan
Smeghead
Oh, hi. I just came for the Bongripper reference.

Sweet album For filthy sludge, Lord Dying found an excellent balance.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 3881 | This month: 7