Artwork by Misanthropic Art.

Found in 13 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 242 users
18.01.2015 - 00:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

The real death metal winner of the year so far. Substance over style, y'all.
18.01.2015 - 00:54
Zap
Oh cewl I see they're added.
I like both but I just prefer Desolate Shrine... Deal with it.
18.01.2015 - 01:17
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 18.01.2015 at 00:50

substance over style, y'all.

Yep, and Desolate Shrine just happen to be immensely better at both. They're unique (well kinda) and virtually uncontested in their ability to write death-metal riffs. Underneath their incredible production is honestly pretty standard death metal, they just know how to give an old style a fresh sound. Chapel Of Disease on the other hand, are really good at writing some OSDM, but that's about it. Nothing too special about this for me, but hey, I'm a DS fangirl so my opinion is to be expected.
18.01.2015 - 01:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 18.01.2015 at 01:17

Yep, and Desolate Shrine just happen to be immensely better at both. They're unique (well kinda) and virtually uncontested in their ability to write death-metal riffs. Underneath their incredible production is honestly pretty standard death metal, they just know how to give an old style a fresh sound. Chapel Of Disease on the other hand, are really good at writing some OSDM, but that's about it. Nothing too special about this for me, but hey, I'm a DS fangirl so my opinion is to be expected.

I just got a bit bored on consequent visits to Desolate Shrine's one. Reminds me of Impetuous Ritual last year; I was blown away by them at first and then after a few more listens I realised it was mostly bluster with not much underneath it. Nothing wrong with that, sound is as important as song writing but recently I've been more engaged by bands that have more variety (which this most certainly does). It'll linger around the 7.5 - 8 mark for me but i hope in the future they do more with their songs than bog-standard DM riffs.
18.01.2015 - 03:23
mz

Heard just two tracks and I'm convinced that it's not going to be one of the best DM records of the year
And seriously, why do you expect OSDM to be innovative, Joe? Don't you love grave miasma >?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.01.2015 - 03:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 18.01.2015 at 03:23

Heard just two tracks and I'm convinced that it's not going to be one of the best DM records of the year
And seriously, why do you expect OSDM to be innovative, Joe? Don't you love grave miasma >?

there's a difference between innovative and interesting. Besides look at things like Tribulation, Morbus Chron etc. I'd say this has more in common with those than Desolate Shrine. It's true though, that Grave Miasma wasn't innovative. I think it broke the mould though so stuff after wasn't as interesting to me.

As for this, it seems to be doing better elsewhere than here for some reason so I'll keep an eye on its progress at any rate =P
18.01.2015 - 03:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Sorry, Joe, looks like you're the only one here who gives a damn about this. Never got grabbed by anything beyond that one track I heard on Youtube.

Now you all know how I felt with Artificial Brain.
18.01.2015 - 03:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's ok, things are more fun this way anyway. I mean, I hate you all and wish you a life of misery, but it's fun regardless.
18.01.2015 - 03:58
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 18.01.2015 at 03:36

It's ok, things are more fun this way anyway. I mean, I hate you all and wish you a life of misery, but it's fun regardless.

Love you too! Don't get me wrong, it's a good album, and one I'll listen to more than a few times, but I personally don't see why you love it. I guess that's how you view some of our love for The Heart OF The Netherworld, so I get how you feel. We're all here for you, Joe, and your shitty taste
23.01.2015 - 14:19
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
I'm with Jooe in this one.

Fun as tits album and holy shit, the riff-fest reminds me of Morbus Chron.
23.01.2015 - 14:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 23.01.2015 at 14:19

I'm with Jooe in this one.

Fun as tits album and holy shit, the riff-fest reminds me of Morbus Chron.

Haha, yep, there's definitely more to this than your usual OSDM album.
07.04.2015 - 04:11
Joe Zombie

Late to the party (or lack thereof judging by the above comments) with this one, but damn if this isn't a surprise. I'm just about fed up with OSDM revivalism but this is a sure cut above the rest. I think I'll have to demote Desolate Shrine as my favorite death metal of this year thus far. Favorite track: Lord of All Death.
16.05.2015 - 02:13
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I gave both this and Desolate Shrine the same score so you all can suck my dick!

(I like this one sliiiightly more though)
16.05.2015 - 02:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Good album but nothign out of the ordinary. Desolate Shrine for one pisses all over it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2016 - 04:19
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Considering that this album is shorter, more consistent and slightly better than Desolate Shrine makes me think that this is one of the best DM albums from last year.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
09.02.2016 - 02:02
Reaper_Redeemer

Old school ha! This one is oldie but goldie.
12.08.2021 - 15:26
Rating: 8
BennyMetGer

This one nice dm album. nothing really new, but still enjoable.

Hits total: 4512 | This month: 30