Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian - Introduce New Bassist

Power metallers Blind Guardian have announced the addition of Dutch bassist Barend Courbois to the group's ranks. He was the band's live bassist since 2012. Courbois has played over 4,000 shows and recorded over 60 albums. He has worked with such musicians as Adrian Vandenberg (Whitesnake), Zakk Wylde and Atma Anur (Journey). In 2004, he was voted best metal and all-around bass player by Guitar Player magazine.

Fans will be able to enjoy his skills on the new Blind Guardian album, Beyond The Red Mirror, which comes out on January 30th in Europe, February 2nd in the UK and February 3rd, 2015 in North America through Nuclear Blast Records.

"This was the longest production I have ever been involved in," the Dutch musician explains. "As we all know, the recordings took a total of two years. The music is so versatile, which is just what makes the style of Blind Guardian so unique."

Regarding his own style, Courbois is quite confident: "I play in a very powerful, but also melodic way," he explains. "You could compare me to John Deacon. Something that Queen-fans Hansi Kürsch and guitarist André Olbrich really like."

Frontman Hansi Kürsch confirms: "Barend is top. He is the ideal bass player for us and has a lot of musical understanding. He is variable and multifaceted, but still able to create all the power we need. And the fact that Krefeld is so close to the Dutch border makes our liaison really easy."

On how he got in touch with Blind Guardian: "One day I got an unexpected phone call from producer Charlie Bauerfeind, whom I had met at a project we both were involved in the early 90s. He asked me, if I was available during the next six months, to tour with a major metal band. He wouldn't tell me the band's name at first though."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Blind Guardian
Posted: 29.01.2015 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 5   Visited by: 150 users
29.01.2015 - 12:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
He looks like a less retarded Timo Tolkki. Also, why not keep Oliver Holzwarth?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.01.2015 - 17:41
Andreas

Written by LeChron James on 29.01.2015 at 12:45

He looks like a less retarded Timo Tolkki. Also, why not keep Oliver Holzwarth?

Dude went to Rhapsody of Fire.
29.01.2015 - 23:56
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Andreas on 29.01.2015 at 17:41

Dude went to Rhapsody of Fire.

Ah, right. I forgot he wasn't a session member there. Thanks for correcting me haha.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.01.2015 - 05:38
mikeprado30

Well, Olli is not anymore in RoF.

I always thought Hansi would play again the bass, but now that possibility surely fades away with the placement of Barend as a band member, the fifth bard
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
30.01.2015 - 20:17
timmoe

As much as they use keyboards and stuff, why not hire a permanent keyboard player as well?

Hits total: 2270 | This month: 4