05. Umbra
06. All I Know
07. The Medicine Wears Off
08. The Caudal Lure
09. Illumine
10. Deadman
11. Change

"Hello! Hollow Halo! Can you hear them calling?"

So implores the opening words of the mesmerizing closer '"Change," and I can only hope you can hear Karnivool calling, because this album is stunning.

Building upon the promising alt metal sound of previous album Themata, Karnivool add a more prominent progressive edge to their sound here, developing a sound that seems firmly camped between alternative and progressive metal styles. The heavy, down-tuned, complex riffing and passionate vocals are combined with ambitious songs in length, structure, and time signatures, and inventive guitar playing and exciting drumming. The combination of these elements results in a sound that, whilst comparable to other bands (Tool are regularly name-dropped as a reference for Karnivool), is most certainly their own, and which offers them a good opportunity to explore musically, resulting in the varied yet consistently excellent Sound Awake.

The songs on the album seem to have something of a 3-phase distribution going on - with the shorter, punchier, more clearly alt metal-based songs that open up the album leading into a middle composed of mid-long songs that are less direct and more sonically sprawling, with the eventual culmination in the two 10-minute-plus closing songs. Some might argue that a bit more mixing up of the different songs might give a slightly more balanced sound to the album - however, I really enjoy the flow and seeming "build-up" feel that the track list delivers. As for the songs themselves, my feelings towards them are similarly split into three camps.

"Simple Boy," a somewhat brooding yet quite restrained opener sets the emotional tone for the album, before the angry "Goliath" and explosive "Set Fire To The Hive" really set the album alight, sandwiching the quite simple and soft yet enjoyable "New Day." This quartet really provides some strong momentum to the album; however, whilst all interesting and enjoyable, the following 5 tracks don't quite maintain this momentum, and on multiple occasions I have found my attention drifting during this passage of the album, only for one of many strong moments to draw me back in. Nevertheless, this shift in quality from "excellent" to arguably mere "very good" is ultimately rescued in the closing two tracks.

I think Calabi says it best in the album thread on this website: "If this album was shit except for the last two songs I'd give it a 7. That's how well this album closes." I fully agree with this sentiment. Between the slow burning "Deadman" that feels like it's going to explode any moment with the sheer emotion and passion found throughout, and the truly extraordinary, multi-faceted "Change," a song I can't find the words to accurately summarise or praise, there is more good material in the closing 23 minutes of Sound Awake than in the entirety of a large number of full-length albums. This staggering conclusion rounds out an album introduced by the energy and emotion of the opening third of the album and fleshed out by the explorative ventures of the middle to ultimately deliver a wonderful final package.

If you want music that is varied and regularly expansive, yet grounded and avoiding musical excess, and which delivers plenty of passion and emotion without becoming draining, I fully recommend this album. It far outdoes anything the band achieved prior to its release, and given my relative disappointment over Asymmetry, I'm still waiting for them to reach this level again.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by musclassia | 31.01.2015

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 59 users
31.01.2015 - 20:48
Susan
Smeghead
explosive "Set Fire To The Hive" really set the album alight

Ha! I see what you did there!

Nice review. Definitely interested now.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
31.01.2015 - 21:39
Rating: 9
musclassia

Written by Susan on 31.01.2015 at 20:48

explosive "Set Fire To The Hive" really set the album alight

Ha! I see what you did there!

Nice review. Definitely interested now.

I wrote that phrase, realised what I'd done, rolled my eyes at the awfulness of the pun, and then decided to go with it anyway ha

Do try it! I first came across it in 2010 and only paid it fleeting attention during those first couple years but it's slowly been worming its way towards the centre of my attention, and the combination of a couple revelatory listens alongside a strong live performance at a festival last summer really moved the band, and particularly the album towards the front of my attention. It's probably been in the top 5-10 albums in terms of plays in the last 6 months personally
31.01.2015 - 21:47
Susan
Smeghead
But see here's the thing: bad puns are one of my favorite things in the entire world

And another great endorsement of the album. Sold!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
31.01.2015 - 22:30
Rating: 8
Diverge

"There is more good material in the closing 23 minutes of Sound Awake than in the entirety of a large number of full-length album" Completely agree here. For me, the middle tends to bore me more than the ends of the album, but ultimately it's pretty stunning through and through. I actually like Asymmetry better, but Karnivool's best moments are on this album.
31.01.2015 - 22:39
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I do like this album, excellent review as always - someone get this man a contributor tag!!
----
rekt
31.01.2015 - 23:17
musclassia

Written by Diverge on 31.01.2015 at 22:30

"There is more good material in the closing 23 minutes of Sound Awake than in the entirety of a large number of full-length album" Completely agree here. For me, the middle tends to bore me more than the ends of the album, but ultimately it's pretty stunning through and through. I actually like Asymmetry better, but Karnivool's best moments are on this album.

I think we're very much in agreement concerning this album - I mean, tracks 5 thru 9 are still perfectly good and I always find myself liking them when I listen to them, I'm just not drawn to them in the same way as I am to the opening and closing songs. As for Asymmetry, I thought I liked it more when I first listened to it, but went back to it and Themata over Christmas due to the sheer amount of plays SA had been getting recently (also because the band is touring the UK in March and I'm planning to go) and failed to find much in either album that matched up to this one, I was quite disappointed in Asymmetry compared to how I thought I'd previously felt about it. Hopefully the next time I revisit it it'll work for me more.

Written by tea[m]ster on 31.01.2015 at 22:39

I do like this album, excellent review as always - someone get this man a contributor tag!!

Thanks for the compliment, I'm honored!
18.02.2015 - 15:29
Rating: 10
Olives

My favourite album, nice review
26.03.2015 - 02:09
musclassia

Addendum to this review: Clearly, whilst the likes of Umbra, Caudal Lure and Illumine are good if overlong and slightly tangential songs, when I included track 6 in my 'mid-album downturn' I was clearly not thinking straight, as All I Know is not only one of the band's more direct and straightforward songs, but it's also bleeding awesome, and somehow it took me until this point to notice it!
26.03.2015 - 04:01
Rating: 8
Diverge

Written by musclassia on 26.03.2015 at 02:09

Addendum to this review: Clearly, whilst the likes of Umbra, Caudal Lure and Illumine are good if overlong and slightly tangential songs, when I included track 5 in my 'mid-album downturn' I was clearly not thinking straight, as All I Know is not only one of the band's more direct and straightforward songs, but it's also bleeding awesome, and somehow it took me until this point to notice it!

Yeah I also neglected that one as well during my first few listens.
26.03.2015 - 10:07
musclassia

Written by Diverge on 26.03.2015 at 04:01

Yeah I also neglected that one as well during my first few listens.

It's strange, sometimes you spend years listening to an album without really paying attention to a particular song, and then for some reason you focus in on it and realise what you've been missing - I listened to it like 5 times yesterday ha

Hits total: 8968 | This month: 10