06. La Caccia di Tórini
07. Golden Worm
08. Victory March
09. La Grotta di Cristallo
10. Crown To The Crowds
11. Panserbjõrn
12. The Endless Well
13. Awakening

Ahoy! Classical music nerds and fans of nostalgic power metal! Italian music masters Winterage not only bring symphonic folk-inspired power metal straight from the early 2000s but they bring no shame along with it. They like fun, they like folk, and they like Felix Mendelssohn.

With a strong Haggard vibe in both the classical instrument placement and production, they also remind me at times of Magica, for the fun, solid symphonic power metal, and Tuatha De Danann, for the folk influences and absolutely care-free and slightly whimsical approach. The would-be love-child of these three bands has created something that, while combining somewhat generic elements, is greatly unique. What they sometimes lack skill-wise in vocal performances they more than make up for in compositional fun and highly visual atmosphere.

Not only do we have rockin' power metal, but these composers of today pay homage to the composers of old by quoting excerpts from honored pieces. They offer a bit of a game in their album notes: can you find their references to Dvořák, Mendelssohn, Guilmant, Verdi, and Tchaikovsky? The names of specifically quoted pieces and movements are listed in the booklet. I've only spotted a few myself, but I'm not done trying. (HUGE props for quoting Verdi's Macbeth; while not his greatest opera by far, it's certainly a compelling, interesting, and often-overlooked view of this young composer blossoming. /nerd off)

What some people may love about the nostalgic vibe, others may dislike about the production. I have to wonder if the production choices were somewhat based on balancing several high-end solo instruments such as violins, flutes, and/or horns on some tracks (or chamber and full orchestras on others) with the metal instruments, because there is almost no audible bass or low end whatsoever. This is hugely responsible for my Haggard reference, and we all remember then fitting basically a chamber orchestra into each song. It's initially difficult for your ear but the issue quickly fades as the music itself shines through.

I said earlier that this is FUN and that's first and foremost what it is. From the exceptionally infectious rhythms in third track "The Flame Shall Not Fade" all the way to the epic closer "Awakening" (hint: look here for one of the more famous classical excerpts), the joyous time that Winterage had composing and performing this music will easily spill over into you.

Written on 03.02.2015 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 90 users
04.02.2015 - 05:24
Rating: 9
mikeprado30

I saw effort made in this album, and that's why I became interested in it, and I was not disappointed. Nice Power Metal in the Italian vein with some folky tunes very gorgeous.

Maybe one of the nice surprises for this year
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
04.02.2015 - 18:39
Andreas

Interesting review, I'll check this out for sure.
05.02.2015 - 21:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Sounds interesting indeed, I'm in!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 4894 | This month: 9