Metal Storm logo
Non-metal Cover Album Idea

16.02.2015 - 00:05
Ganondox
So I've been thinking about a potential serious non-metal cover album of extreme metal songs. Here are some of the ideas I have so far, arranged in order of how confident I am in them being able to work:

"Are You Dead Yet?" by Children of Bodom - Alternative Rock (keep the chorus the same, replace lead guitar with violin and screaming in verses with perishing alt rock vocals and boom, done)

"Love?" by Strapping Young Lad - Folk (Devin's acoustic versions of his own songs are amazing, so I'm going from there, and I think the chorus would translate very well to an acoustic song. The verses are a bit chaotic though)

"Flesh and the Power it Holds" by Death - Jazz (I can just imagine that opening riff being played on a sax and a rich jazz voice singing "It will take you in, it will spit you out. Behold, the flesh, and the power it holds!")

Something by Wolves in the Throne Room - Shoegaze (haven't settled on a specific song, but some of their songs seem to be half shoegaze already, but only like blackgaze bands a shoegaze cover wouldn't seem redundant)

"Freezing Moon" by Mayhem - Synthpop (it sounds absurd, but after working on a horrible electronic cover of it I'd say it could probably actually be done pretty well. Of course a lot would have to be changed and it wouldn't be your typical synthpop song, but it could still work.)

"Forced Genital Reassignment Surgery" by Cattle Decapitation - Hardcore Hiphop (it's not exactly in a tight rap format, but the lyrics already have fairly good rhyme and rhythm and are plenty heavy enough)

"Where Dead Angels Lie" by Dissection - Piano (well, as long as something's got some distinct notes a piano cover is going work, which this song certainly does, main thing is if it would be as interesting as the other covers)

"I Feel the Burning Sun" by Crowbar - Blues (something by Eyehategod would probably work better, but this is my favorite Louisiana sludge song)

"Cowboys from Hell" by Pantera - Country (I don't know how to do a country song, but it seems appropriate for this song)

"It Took the Night to Believe" by Sunn-O - New Age (albeit a very dark New Age song)

"Reign in Blood" by Slayer - Punk Rock (though it might be hard to make the song anymore punk than it already is while still at all resembling the original, maybe a different Slayer song would work better)

"20% Burnt" by The Dillinger Escape Plan - IDM (because math)

"Scream" by In Flames - EDM (not sure which subgenre, I dunno while I thought this would work)

"Bleed" by Meshuggah - Funk (based entirely on a comment by Kimbra)

"Hammer Smashed Face" by Cannibal Corpse - Polka (I dunno, I just think that one riff would sound neat on an accordion)

If anyone has any suggestions for extreme metal songs and are genre you think a cover would work good in or comments on the existing suggestions, please feel free to post. I want some funeral doom with maybe a chant cover, but I don't know of any good funeral doom. If you know someone who is actually capable of doing one of the covers, that would be neat too.