Metal Storm logo
Obscura - To Enter Studio In April, Launch Digital Tab Book

Progressive death metal masters Obscura have announced that they will enter Dreamsound Studios this April to begin recording drums for their anticipated new album and first full-length in over four years. The band will work once again with long time producer V. Santura (Cosmogenesis, Omnivium). The album will see a late 2015 release via Relapse Records and will be the first to feature new members drummer Sebastian Lanser and guitarist Tom "Fountainhead" Geldschläger.

Guitarist/vocalist Steffen Kummerer commented on the upcoming material: "We are all pleased with the new material which pairs the songwriting, technicality and arrangements of our previous albums with the creative input of members Linus Klausenitzer, Tom 'Fountainhead' Geldschläger and Sebastian Lanser, while keeping our trademark prog riffing across the fusion and death metal landscape that makes Obscura sound unique. This album sees Obscura move a step further."

While the band prepares the upcoming recordings, a digital tablature book of their critically acclaimed record Omnivium is available for pay-what-you-want download at the band's website. The book contains 368 pages in total, including tabs for all lead and rhythm guitars, transcribed live versions of each solo and arrangements for two guitars plus liner notes for each song. It can be purchased directly here. Note: The first printed edition contained mistakes. If you own one of the mentioned books, please get in touch through shop@realmofobscura.com and recieve a reprint with correct notation at no charge.

More details on the band's upcoming album shall be announced shortly.

New band pic

Tour dates:

July 18th - Prog Stage Festival, Israel
July 24th - Metal Days Open Air - Tolmin, Slovenia

Source: relapse.com
Band profile: Obscura
Posted: 20.02.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 15   Visited by: 61 users
20.02.2015 - 20:47
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
No comments? I'm hoping for something good, this band definitely has potential. I'm not sure how line-up changes will affect their music but 'step further' sounds promising.
20.02.2015 - 20:51
Zap
Comment: I'm truly scared this will be shite.
20.02.2015 - 21:03
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Zap on 20.02.2015 at 20:51

Comment: I'm truly scared this will be shite.

Only because of line-up changes?
20.02.2015 - 21:08
Zap
Written by Hex_Omega on 20.02.2015 at 21:03

Only because of line-up changes?

Mostly because of the reasons for those line-up changes.
20.02.2015 - 22:17
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Zap on 20.02.2015 at 21:08

Mostly because of the reasons for those line-up changes.

Actually... that's a good point... Now I'm starting to be sceptical... What have you done
20.02.2015 - 22:29
Zap
Written by Hex_Omega on 20.02.2015 at 22:17

Actually... that's a good point... Now I'm starting to be sceptical... What have you done

So my pessimism is transferable. Interesting...
Sorry :/
21.02.2015 - 01:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Zap on 20.02.2015 at 22:29

Written by Hex_Omega on 20.02.2015 at 22:17

So my pessimism is transferable. Interesting...
Sorry :/

That's like the shittiest super power ever. You should feel terrible.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.02.2015 - 01:10
Zap
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.02.2015 at 01:00

That's like the shittiest super power ever. You should feel terrible.

It might have interesting applications you aren't thinking of.
21.02.2015 - 01:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Back on-topic, please.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.02.2015 - 02:51
Diverge

I know a lot of people really enjoyed Omnivium, but I thought it was a step down from Cosmogenesis. I'm a little optimistic, though.
21.02.2015 - 11:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, I am looking forward to whatever Obscura are going to bring to the table, and new line-up is not necessarily a bad thing: we can't really know what will come out of it. I have to say though that my biggest problem with Omnivium was Grossmann's soulless robotic drumming, so I am hoping for an improvement in that respect.

I think we can expect a change in songwriting because Muenzer and Grossmann contributed to most songs (what I can see in the booklets). Let's see how it turns out. Fingers crossed
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
21.02.2015 - 15:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 21.02.2015 at 11:43

I think we can expect a change in songwriting because Muenzer and Grossmann contributed to most songs (what I can see in the booklets). Let's see how it turns out. Fingers crossed

And don't forget JPT's contributions basswise. I highly doubt the new guy can even come close to his prowess.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.02.2015 - 17:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.02.2015 at 15:15

Written by K✞ulu on 21.02.2015 at 11:43

And don't forget JPT's contributions basswise. I highly doubt the new guy can even come close to his prowess.

Oh, that's true. Thesseling is gone too. Wow, have a completely new Obscura. As far as the new bassist, I remember the rest of the band saying Noneuclid is pretty intense and complex, so I guess he's got the chops. Never got to listen to that band though...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
21.02.2015 - 21:06
crucifiedjesus

I saw the new bass player play live. im no expert, i have seen hundreds of live shows but dont play bass. He seemed and sounded pretty damn good to me. I am also very skeptical what this new album will hold. Muenzner is a beast of a guitar player his solo stuff shows that and Hannes is no slouch behind the kit. tough guys to replace no doubt. I remain interested but am not yet excited
22.02.2015 - 10:45
musclassia

Omnivium actually had some feel to it unlike so many tech-death albums, it would be great for them to reach that kinda level again, but at this point it's almost an entirely new band

Hits total: 1638 | This month: 3