Style: Post-metal, Atmospheric sludge metal
Release date: 2006

01. Baobab
02. No One Wished To Settle Here
03. Carry On
04. Harboring an Apparition
05. At Arms Length
06. Wake Me Up When It's Over

Lately I've been bombarded with a lot of Post-Metal releases to review; bands like Cult Of Luna, Year Of No Light and Ganon blew my mid off and I was left craving for more from this genre?but man I surely wasn't expecting something like Mouth Of The Architect. If the aforementioned bands blew me away, then Mouth Of The Architect butchered what was left from me.

Is this the best Post-Metal album of the year? I'm not sure, but it is close enough though. This band is doing what Pelican did in 2005 (creating the most innovative Post-Metal sound of the year); I'm not going to say this is better, but it is surely different believe me. If the vocals were cleaner and the riffs weren't as heavy, "The Ties That Blind" would have been a Post-Rock album so, go figure.

What truly enhances the brilliance of this album are the textures and melodies found in it; yes, the vocals and the heavier parts add "the twist", but 10 out of 15 minutes of No One Wished To Settle Here are harmonious passages with intricate melodies surrounding the atmosphere. Their songwriting is one of the most complex factors as you can see; the arrangements and the tones have a really bizarre construction, average songs usually have an ascending structure which explodes in the very end, but the songs found in this record have an anticlimax procedure that first ascends, then explodes, then descends and then a crazy sequence of musical events go by to finally reach an odd fade-out that only serves as an overture for the next track?damn that was hard to explain.

This album guarantees one of the most incredible musical incidents you've ever experienced; Mouth Of The Architect went beyond any other Post-Metal band's imagination, this is by far the most original piece I've heard in a long time. I found myself enjoying every single minute of "The Ties That Blind", and I'm sure the genre followers will easily do it as well.

Best Tracks: "No One Wished To Settle Here", "Wake Me When It's Over", "Harboring an Apparition"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 08.12.2006

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 84 users
21.02.2007 - 09:16
lenesu

Yes, incredible, original, epic but you should have written this words at the start of the review, not in the end(not everyone will read the entire review).
Anyway, killer album indeed. Cant wait to find their debut one.
21.02.2007 - 17:21
Herzebeth

Written by lenesu on 21.02.2007 at 09:16

not everyone will read the entire review).

WHAT?¡?¡? :'(
----
21.02.2007 - 18:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Yeah, I think that is true. A shame but true. But that is their own fault.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.02.2007 - 19:33
Herzebeth

OH MY GOD!?!?!

I guess next time I'll write smaller reviews or something...
----
25.02.2007 - 20:12
lenesu

Written by Herzebeth on 21.02.2007 at 19:33

OH MY GOD!?!?!

I guess next time I'll write smaller reviews or something...

hey man, I was joking . More than that, we have to thank you for reviewing such bands.
20.11.2010 - 04:20
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Good review about a great album. This one is classified to the "grower" catagory. At first listen I was ... "meh" .... after a few more spins it started growing on me. If you're a fan of Cult of Luna, Rosetta, or Isis pick this up!
----
rekt

Hits total: 4518 | This month: 11